Considering a Tracer

Howdy,

I'm currently riding an '09 FZ1 (modded, fast and adrenaline-pumping, but not super-comfortable, especially two-up) and an '08 Suzuki 650 V-Strom (incredibly comfortable mile-eater, but not alot of thrills) and I'm hoping to find a single, new bike that can replace both.

Seems like the Tracer should handle the sportier urges pretty well, but wondering about the long-distance comfort, especially for two-up; anyone able to compare it to a Wee or similar bike?

Thanks,

Larry

Edited by Larry1096

I love the punchy CP3 motor for sporty riding and ride often for five or six hours only stopping for fuel and have to say the seats becomes uncomfortable after that length of time but for all day comfort you probably need a Goldwing. 

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
4 hours ago, Kendal900GT said:

.......... the seats becomes uncomfortable after that length of time but for all day comfort you probably need a Goldwing. 

or a Corbin seat?

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

• Supporting Member
On 7/24/2022 at 7:03 AM, Larry1096 said:

Seems like the Tracer should handle the sportier urges pretty well, but wondering about the long-distance comfort, especially for two-up; anyone able to compare it to a Wee or similar bike?

17 hours ago, Sunde said:

Long distance my Tracer is better than my old VFR 1200, much better than the GSX-S1000 also
I think you'll find it very much fits the role of a "fun sportsbike" + a good tourer. 

I cant speak to 2-up riding comfort but I've put 70,000 miles on mine and a lot of that has been multi-state, long distance riding.  Get a custom seat, cruise control and dial in your suspension and it is adequately comfortable riding 400-450 miles day after day.

I would think that if you and the wife are smaller, 2-up rides shouldn't be that bad, if you are full size it might be a bit cramped as it has a relatively short wheel base.

After riding my VFR1200x and then jumping back on the FJ, it feels like a toy, quite a bit smaller in every dimension.

• Thumbsup 4

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

5 hours ago, betoney said:

I cant speak to 2-up riding comfort but I've put 70,000 miles on mine and a lot of that has been multi-state, long distance riding.  Get a custom seat, cruise control and dial in your suspension and it is adequately comfortable riding 400-450 miles day after day.

I would thing that if you and the wife are smaller, 2-up rides shouldn't be that bad, if you are full size it might be a bit cramped as it has a relatively short wheel base.

After riding my VFR1200x and then jumping back on the FJ, it feels like a toy, quite a bit smaller in every dimension.

1200x is what the Tracer would be if it decided to take up a career as a sumo wrestler ;D Bigger in every way, but fantastic. I think i'd like the ridig position of the 1200x better than the clip-on style of my old bike. 
That V4 engine tho! 🤤

Edited by Sunde
  • Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

I'd think the real question here is all about the two up aspect. I find the passenger footpegs crowd my feet (2019 Traver 900GT), and I expect it would be even worse with an actual foot on the footpeg. This is something you can easily check in the dealer.

(I modded mine by removing the rear footpegs, since I never do two-up)

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

I will have to say if your looking for a bike to do a lot of two up long distance riding, look for another bike. But for solo rides she's is hard to beat.

• Thumbsup 5

He who dies with the most toys wins.

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, Ride365 said:

IMHO the Tracer isn't an ideal 2 up machine......

I agree! I have taken my Tracer on cross country trips (literally from west coast to east coast and back) and I never had any issues with comfort. (although I did replace my seat with a Corbin Seat before I travelled any long distances)

If you are riding 2-up on short trips it is fine, but on longer distances you will notice the cramped space and suspension shortfalls.

• Thumbsup 2

I've stopped riding g two-up on my FJ.  Uncomfortable and not very safe.

Not sure about max load on Tracer, but FJ is around 400 pounds.  With wife and luggage onboard we are over the top of that spec!

And front end gets VERY light with a passenger.

I'm eager to try a GSX S1000 GT, if in fact such a beast really exists.

• Thumbsup 1
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

On 7/24/2022 at 9:56 AM, Kendal900GT said:

I love the punchy CP3 motor for sporty riding and ride often for five or six hours only stopping for fuel and have to say the seats becomes uncomfortable after that length of time but for all day comfort you probably need a Goldwing. 

As one who has owned four Gold Wings going back to 1979 and ending in 2003, I can report that even a Gold Wing is not comfortable "all day."  Even with a Corbin on it, or other build of saddle on it.  Nothing is comfortable all day.  Heck, my Laz-i-Boy gets hard after a couple of hours watching TV on it.

What is needed for long haul "comfort" is the ability to move around in the saddle.  To find a half-dozen positions that relieve the pressure on the hot spots.  A good saddle will help in this regard, but saddle alone cannot be a complete fix.  I spent many $ searching for the saddle that I could just sit on it for 8 hours and be comfy.  No such thing.

However, to answer the OP question regarding the Tracer... I find the 21 GT offers plenty of space in the saddle for moving about into modified sitting positions, including the Big Kahuna of butt relief: standing up on the pegs.  There is also plenty of room to scoot left and right, hanging one cheek off the saddle at a time.  I personally like leaning forward with one elbow resting on the tank, my head tucked up close to the windscreen where the quiet air lives.  This position also rests the butt tremendously.

• Thumbsup 1

3 minutes ago, KrustyKush said:

As one who has owned four Gold Wings going back to 1979 and ending in 2003, I can report that even a Gold Wing is not comfortable "all day."  Even with a Corbin on it, or other build of saddle on it.  Nothing is comfortable all day.  Heck, my Laz-i-Boy gets hard after a couple of hours watching TV on it.

What is needed for long haul "comfort" is the ability to move around in the saddle.  To find a half-dozen positions that relieve the pressure on the hot spots.  A good saddle will help in this regard, but saddle alone cannot be a complete fix.  I spent many $ searching for the saddle that I could just sit on it for 8 hours and be comfy.  No such thing.

Same. I've got worse with age too. Wish I knew that before all the $$$ on seats with 2 bikes.

• Thumbsup 1

Yep, there's definitely less passenger room than a DL650. If the Suzuki is comfy for you both, you'll be fine but your passenger might not be happy with a Tracer.

You might have a look for the V-Strom 1000 or 1050. Lots more grunt, a little more weight, and the ergos are pretty much the same s the 650 for rider and passenger. The friendlier passenger compartment was the main reason I had a DL1000 over several other possibilities at the time.

Later on, my wife became far less interested in riding, and with that less of a consideration, I ended up with my FJ-09. She's been for a very short ride exactly once, and complained that her knees hurt.

All that said, if your passenger is fairly small, with short-ish legs, she'll probably be just fine. You might want a seat upgrade, since the perch back there is kind of small. You'll have to go sit on one to see.

• Thumbsup 1