Considering a Tracer

Another interesting twist to the Topic, Electronic safety aids must be a good idea and I wouldn't argue against them. I'm now looking forward to a bike with active cruise control and lane assist and automatic emergency braking fully automatic lights and as long as it features the Honda prototype stability feature and a suitable seat belt I can relax and have a sleep on the fuel tank while the bike takes me to the twisty bits.😄 a coffee machine and alarm clock might be helpful as well.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, HGP61 said:

Another interesting twist to the Topic, Electronic safety aids must be a good idea and I wouldn't argue against them. I'm now looking forward to a bike with active cruise control and lane assist and automatic emergency braking fully automatic lights and as long as it features the Honda prototype stability feature and a suitable seat belt I can relax and have a sleep on the fuel tank while the bike takes me to the twisty bits.😄 a coffee machine and alarm clock might be helpful as well.

I think you might be looking for a different kind of vehicle there 
 There is a solid difference (imo) between safety features (ABS/TC) and all kinds of assists (Cruise control, quickshifters and whatnot) 
I dont think anyone really wants the bike to ride itself? 
But i mean automatic braking in case i get distracted, why not? :)

1 hour ago, peteinpa said:

I've wondered that even with cages.  That auto braking thing, where does it draw the line???  Car, motorcycle, dog, cat, squirrel, grasshopper, gnat,???

Can't trust the tech.

I get the "cant trust part" because obviously this isn't something you just test for shits and giggles. 
But assuming in a dystopian future full of even more mandatory rider aids, that a radar controlled auto braking system gets implemented / forced on all motorcycles. Would it not better to have a system that might be able to intervene or at least slow you down before an impact than nothing? 
 Unless you think its going to make you crash? I guess it would suck if such a system gets spooked during a corner. Although you'd think it would be hooked up to an IMU, so it wouldn't activate during hard lean etc. 

Edited by Sunde

10 hours ago, OZVFR said:

All good now, stocked up on popcorn so please go on 😁

I for one think that the more safety features the better, I also think that a bike with all the bells and whistles will be a safer bike than one without regardless of your riding skills. 

Using an argument about an uncle who rode around WooWoop in the 60’s and made it back alive is ludicrous. 

So is arguing about using adaptive cruise control while lane filtering will make it brake all the time. FFS, nobody can save someone from their own stupidity. 

The right tool for the right job. 

I very rarely use motorways, but would love adaptive cruise in that situation. 

Cornering ABS, yes please, all these things are great for that one time you get caught unawares, or lose concentration for a second, or conditions change without you realising it. It does not matter if you’re a pro or novice. 

Also at the end, it’s a personal choice, but today’s bikes are definitely safer than the old shitboxes we had in the 80’s. 

Cheers GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, HGP61 said:

I'm now looking forward to a bike with active cruise control and lane assist and automatic emergency braking fully automatic lights and as long as it features the Honda prototype stability feature and a suitable seat belt I can relax and have a sleep on the fuel tank while the bike takes me to the twisty bits.😄 a coffee machine and alarm clock might be helpful as well.

I hope I’m long dead before that becomes a reality…

B O R I N G. 😩

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

1 hour ago, Sunde said:

I think you might be looking for a different kind of vehicle there 
 There is a solid difference (imo) between safety features (ABS/TC) and all kinds of assists (Cruise control, quickshifters and whatnot) 
I dont think anyone really wants the bike to ride itself? 
But i mean automatic braking in case i get distracted, why not? :)

I get the "cant trust part" because obviously this isn't something you just test for shits and giggles. 
But assuming in a dystopian future full of even more mandatory rider aids, that a radar controlled auto braking system gets implemented / forced on all motorcycles. Would it not better to have a system that might be able to intervene or at least slow you down before an impact than nothing? 
 Unless you think its going to make you crash? I guess it would suck if such a system gets spooked during a corner. Although you'd think it would be hooked up to an IMU, so it wouldn't activate during hard lean etc. 

Last couple of my cars had lane departure, braking, adaptive cruise. I trust it BUT don't blindly rely on it. 2 of the cars auto braking was dangerous if a car changed lanes in front of me, slammed on brakes, which was not necessary, cars weren't that close. I always checked rear view mirrors and avoided 2 rear ends because I did. No matter how reliable automation.is supposed to be, I stay in control. 

I like the cruise on my 900gt. If it had adaptive anything I'd know how to use it, but likely wouldn't. 

• Thumbsup 3

On 8/2/2022 at 8:39 PM, betoney said:

What destination did you decide on?  Still going to Colorado?

Yup. On the trip now, got a hiccup on the way. If I can figure out how to post on my phone I'll write about it. Meanwhile, I'm stuck in Moab. 

• Thumbsup 1

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current

13 minutes ago, maximo said:

Yup. On the trip now, got a hiccup on the way. If I can figure out how to post on my phone I'll write about it. Meanwhile, I'm stuck in Moab. 

Oh no! "Stuck" in Moab! Go to Naturita and N to Gateway. Nice ride, great people in Naturita. Rim Rock hotel is good.

• Thumbsup 2
  • Thanks 1

I like the CC on my Tracer 900 GT. I would try ACC, but I don't think I'd like it because it just enables you to pay less attention. It doesn't seem as safe as working out your own speed. In long haul light freeway traffic I use CC but still modulate up/down to match speeds, which forces me to pay attention. Not being forced to pay attention makes it much harder for humans to pay any attention. I would hope any ACC adjustments would be nice and slow, or a sudden de/acceleration would be quite disconcerting since you have to balance on the bike.

When I first tried the CC on the motorcycle, one thing I noticed that made me uncomfortable was passing cars at a steady constant speed. What I realized is that when I am in charge of the speed, I always add a small jet to quickly get out of the blind spot.

Obviously I would never do any CC for my California lane splitting!

As to specs, Tracer 900 GT is 475 pounds (wet w/o side cases), Tracer 9 GT is 485 pounds. This is a strike against 9GT for me, but still below my 500 pound threshold. On the other hand, the 9 GT has a 5.0 gallon tank vs 4.8, and that is a small plus. Any additional gas is a boon.

I find the 9 GT side cases ugly. They look awkwardly shaped to use, but I'd have to try in order to see. I've always liked the smallish 22L FJ09/Tracer900 side cases. Both in looks ("doesn't make my butt look big") and function ("not wider than my handlebars").

• Thumbsup 5

13 minutes ago, TomTracer said:

Oh no! "Stuck" in Moab! Go to Naturita and N to Gateway. Nice ride, great people in Naturita. Rim Rock hotel is good.

Once my bike is out of jail, I think naturita is on my way.

• Thumbsup 2

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current

15 minutes ago, TomTracer said:

If you get to Cortez, look up CO Norton works. Out in the middle of nowhere and you cant just drop in, but well worth checking out!

Monticello just S of Moab has very good restaurant, think The Grainery. Worth it.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, TomTracer said:

I agree.  CO141 is a beautiful ride and insanely fun as the road constantly twists left and right as you ride through towering red rock canyon walls.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

18 hours ago, wanderer said:

I like the CC on my Tracer 900 GT. I would try ACC, but I don't think I'd like it because it just enables you to pay less attention. It doesn't seem as safe as working out your own speed. In long haul light freeway traffic I use CC but still modulate up/down to match speeds, which forces me to pay attention. Not being forced to pay attention makes it much harder for humans to pay any attention. I would hope any ACC adjustments would be nice and slow, or a sudden de/acceleration would be quite disconcerting since you have to balance on the bike.

When I first tried the CC on the motorcycle, one thing I noticed that made me uncomfortable was passing cars at a steady constant speed. What I realized is that when I am in charge of the speed, I always add a small jet to quickly get out of the blind spot.

Obviously I would never do any CC for my California lane splitting!

As to specs, Tracer 900 GT is 475 pounds (wet w/o side cases), Tracer 9 GT is 485 pounds. This is a strike against 9GT for me, but still below my 500 pound threshold. On the other hand, the 9 GT has a 5.0 gallon tank vs 4.8, and that is a small plus. Any additional gas is a boon.

I find the 9 GT side cases ugly. They look awkwardly shaped to use, but I'd have to try in order to see. I've always liked the smallish 22L FJ09/Tracer900 side cases. Both in looks ("doesn't make my butt look big") and function ("not wider than my handlebars").

Agreed!

• Thumbsup 1

• 2 months later...
  • Supporting Member
On 8/7/2022 at 6:26 AM, Sunde said:

And for the record i apologize if you feel patonized, not my intention.

Accepted; and I offer the same in kind.  I shouldn't have posted that day, my headspace was totally out of whack.

• Thumbsup 2

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount