CCT replacement difference?

Hi, new member here.  Great community. Lots to learn.

After reading through some posts on potential issues, i checked with the local dealership who confirmed 2/3 recalls have been done on my new-to-me 2015 FJ09. Handlebar mount to be done.

The CCT has been replaced. Mine appears to have a white dot/mark on top.  I saw on-line in a TSB on CCT replacement including two models of replacement CCTs which had either one red dot or two black dots on top. so i'm wondering if mine with the white dot is indeed up-to-date? Perhaps a difference between US/CAN? I suspect to put my mind at rest, MCCT is the in the future.

[edit] just re-looked at TSB, my vin not included. includes EU and CA, perhaps covered under a different TSB.

Thanks!

Edited by Ccewbj
add-on
  • Thumbsup 1

Unknown by the the dot present on your tensioner. 
I’d say that if yours isn’t making noise, then don’t worry about it. 

you didn’t list how many miles/km are on your bike, but if valves haven’t been checked you could always have them throw it in during the work. 

also of note: it was never a RECALL. It was only covered by Yamaha if the serial number was in a certain range AND they determined that it was noisy. It’s an expired Tech Tip. 

The shift shaft and handlebars mounts were both Recalls on early models again within certain number ranges. 

-Skip

Edited by skipperT
  • Thumbsup 2

Thanks a lot Skip. It has 27k km.  I’m not detecting any obvious noise. Still getting used to it. Chain was very tight. I know the specs say 5-15mm but it sounds off to me. I readjusted very slightly and will check it out.

Lots about chain tension on this site.

Consensus seems to be about 25-35mm total movement on center stand.

1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

Chain specs in manual are too tight in most people's opinion.

I agree with @skipperT...if isn't making noise don't worry about the CCT.

However, If it starts to make noise (it's a clacking type noise most noticeable at startup) just replace it with a manual tensioner. I had my '15 CCT replaced under the TSB and it only lasted about 3 months before making noise again. Put an APE manual tensioner on it and never had an issue after that.

• Thumbsup 2

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Supporting Member

The most recent iterations of the replacement CCT may make a bit of a rattle now and again - mine hasn't rattled much beyond about 2 - 3 minutes, at idle.  Rev it up a bit, or go for a ride, and it's quiet for months.  I can only assume this is the auto tensioner doing exactly what it should.  I can only hear it once or maybe twice per season.

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

• Premium Member

Same for me as Duhs10 but when it goes you'll know it!!!  I had to ride home 500 miles prematurely when on a tour with my heart in my mouth taking back roads keeping revs low a d smooth.   3 months later at the first hint I installed an APE.  Easy to check adjustment while running. 

Installed a XSR slip assist clutch too along with a McCruise.  They along with a saddle and screen are almost mandatory. 

On 7/31/2022 at 4:00 PM, Ccewbj said:

Thanks a lot Skip. It has 27k km.  I’m not detecting any obvious noise. Still getting used to it. Chain was very tight. I know the specs say 5-15mm but it sounds off to me. I readjusted very slightly and will check it out

Valves aren’t due then until 42k, but as you may have read, check them early.
Others have covered chain tension. I usually sit on the bike and shoot for the 5-10mm free play when suspension is compressed. I think that works out to around 35-45mm as measured on the center stand. Check at the tightest spot in the chain. 

enjoy the bike!
-S

Thank you all!

Indeed at cold start up, I hear a few ticks but it goes away thereafter.  Thanks for all the suggestions.  I'll monitor accordingly.

Now to look into the fuel gauge ....LOL.  I was impressed how after a few local rides, the fuel was still at full.  On my way to work this AM, suddenly "half tank"!!!  holy crap.  Not sure if trip meter was at zero when i picked it up, but it's under 200 km now.  I've seen one video on youtube regarding this for a FZ09...so I'm guessing this could be the norm.  Shall continue to read up though.

29 minutes ago, Ccewbj said:

Now to look into the fuel gauge ....LOL.  I was impressed how after a few local rides, the fuel was still at full.  On my way to work this AM, suddenly "half tank"!!!  holy crap.  Not sure if trip meter was at zero when i picked it up, but it's under 200 km now.  I've seen one video on youtube regarding this for a FZ09...so I'm guessing this could be the norm.  Shall continue to read up though.

That’s normal behavior of the fuel gauge. One of those “features” you have yo get used to!!!

• Thumbsup 2
  • Haha 1