Wind Noise

My only material complaint about this wonderful bike is the wind noise.  

This may not directly answer your question - but recently I got a Shoei Quest helmet that seemed way too tight. I tend to wear a large, the cycle gear guy kept saying to go smaller and I had 7 days to return it. So I got a medium rather than a large. After a couple days, it was just too uncomfortable. I got some 24 grit super course sandpaper and removed about 1/8" of foam along the front in an even-consistent curve. 
The helmet is still kinda tight, especially getting on. I have to wear a "head thing" to avoid pulling my ears off. but once that thing is ON it is comfortable.
As it keeps breaking in, it will be like a custom fit helmet.
The wind noise is gone. I am not riding an 850 at the moment, but have a 22" tall windscreen on my 750. I can stand on the pegs at 55 way above the windscreen, or squat down by my handlebars and there is virtually no difference in wind noise. I even forgot my ear plugs the other day and it wasn't a big deal.
Just something to think about. If you change your head position in relation to the windshield, you will find the sweet spot.
If that sweet spot isn't there, see if you can rotate the helmet a bit without moving the head - may be some of the issue is not the bike.
1980 Yamaha 850 Triple (sold). Too many bikes to list, FJ-09 is next on my list

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
I'm with @johan - @steve, get a referral. Sounds like some sort of unresolved mechanical problem. My son had frequent ear infections as his Eustachian tubes kept blocking. Root cause was recurrent throat infections causing inflamed tonsils. These in turn blocked the opening at the base of the tubes. A surgeon whipped out his tonsils. Problem solved. Throat infections don't last so long and if he does get one, the tubes don't get blocked so it does not become a massive ear infection.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

So I've been out for a few hours today. I didn't remove the screen but while riding along I played around with using my left hand to block certain areas around the screen, handlebars, and lights.

After a good 15 minutes of playing I eventually realised that this was of no help whatsoever!! :)

Next time I'm out (Maybe tomorrow if my day isn't too full), I'm removing the screen.

I'm also wondering if the noise could be coming from below, between the tank and the fairing (Basically where the forks go)... If you look down into that area, it's basically a large scoop.

• Premium Member
To me it sounds as if the source of the noise is the top of my helmet which sits in turbulent air, not enough to cause buffeting but enough to cause noise. So I assume it is the screen that is directing the air over my head - as it would have been designed to do. Someone that knows something about aerodynamics may have suggestions; maybe something like vortex generators on top of the screen. But I like the weather protection. My previous bike was a naked and I would not want to our on that. So noise blocking by ear plugs is the solution...

So noise blocking by ear plugs is the solution...
Right, I believe that applies for everyone. This is a good read http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/helmet-noise.htm from web bike world, as well as this one from rider magazine http://www.ridermagazine.com/motorcycle-gear-buyers-guides/hearing-protection-for-motorcyclists.htm/ I use the foam ear plugs and love them. The trick is to pull the ear lobe out and get the rolled up ear plug in deep enough. when it expands, the world should go quiet. I cut mine to 1/2" long so they don't get dislodged when putting the helmet on. 
Both articles comment on helmet fit and head shapes. I recently read that the Shoei GT air was designed to be quiet by specifically making the shape more narrow to help block out wind - and I believe my (cheaper) Shoei Quest kind of achieved that by getting a very tight fitting helmet and fixing the hot spots with sandpaper on the foam. 

An alternative for an existing helmet would be this http://www.amazon.com/WINDJAMMER-REDUCES-Helmets-original-copied/dp/B003FHLNVK and I think that $20 would be a worthwhile test to see how much air is coming in at the lower part of the helmet.

If it is simply the windscreen position - you should be able to move your head up and down within a 2 foot range as you ride and notice a huge difference in sound. If it is "all noisy" then it is the helmet fit and / or lack of proper fitting ear plugs.

So noise blocking by ear plugs is the solution...
Right, I believe that applies for everyone. This is a good read http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/helmet-noise.htm from web bike world, as well as this one from rider magazine http://www.ridermagazine.com/motorcycle-gear-buyers-guides/hearing-protection-for-motorcyclists.htm/ I use the foam ear plugs and love them. The trick is to pull the ear lobe out and get the rolled up ear plug in deep enough. when it expands, the world should go quiet. I cut mine to 1/2" long so they don't get dislodged when putting the helmet on. 
Both articles comment on helmet fit and head shapes. I recently read that the Shoei GT air was designed to be quiet by specifically making the shape more narrow to help block out wind - and I believe my (cheaper) Shoei Quest kind of achieved that by getting a very tight fitting helmet and fixing the hot spots with sandpaper on the foam. 

An alternative for an existing helmet would be this http://www.amazon.com/WINDJAMMER-REDUCES-Helmets-original-copied/dp/B003FHLNVK and I think that $20 would be a worthwhile test to see how much air is coming in at the lower part of the helmet.

If it is simply the windscreen position - you should be able to move your head up and down within a 2 foot range as you ride and notice a huge difference in sound. If it is "all noisy" then it is the helmet fit and / or lack of proper fitting ear plugs.
All good stuff, but it is something on the bike that's causing this.  I wear ear plugs which, as you say, sends the world quiet, and wear a good fitting helmet with a whisper strip fitted to cut out more noise.  The wind noise is loud on this bike, and if I duck one foot down, or stand up on the pegs everything goes gloriously quiet. 
I just wish I could pinpoint it!! :)

• Premium Member
If I duck behind the screen when accelerating the world goes very quiet, but this is not a position to be in for long.

My view, after experimenting with 3 screens is the noise is largely caused by wind turbulence around your helmet.

The windjammer mentioned above will cut down the noise, at the expense of ventilation. I can produce the same effect by zipping a collar onto my jacket but even in the coldest months I don't like this as it keeps the moisture inside your helmet leading to fogging and a feeling of claustrophobia.

There is no easy solution. It's nice to keep the wind blast off your chest to a certain extent but unless you fit a huge screen to hide behind you are going to get airflow over your head. A huge screen looks awful on this bike (just look at the Yamaha touring screen so going bigger would be even worse).

I wear a Shoei XR1100 (was R1200 in US until they changed recently) as it is well vented and good for summer touring. The vents create a lot of noise so I wear ear plugs with a SNR over 30.

In my view the best compromise is to find a quieter helmet that works with the screen that puts the airflow where it feels most comfortable for you. As we are a myriad of different shapes there will never be a universal solution, unless we accept a solution like a BMW RT1200 barn door.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

The only thing I require from a screen, is that it keeps the windblast from my chest and I don't get any buffeting, I'm ok getting windblast in the face, as long as its clean air.... the standard screen on my bike seems to work pretty well for me for this, set on middle setting.
Some bikes I've spent a fortune experimenting with different screens.

Although the standard screen does look odd, especially as I've removed the handguards.

I'd like to make some comments to the wind noise, ear plug, hearing discussion in this thread.  Please take my word for it that I have almost a complete lifetime experience with hearing loss.  So I do speak with some experience.

To those who are indicating that they have hearing loss problems, it is paramount that you know what the cause of this loss is.  A good ENT doctor can tell if you have a mechanical issue.  Perhaps that can be repaired.  If yes, then do it now before you lose the ability to discriminate speech.  Once lost, this discrimination ability is not recovered.  It will leave you able to hear people but not understand the words well.

If you have a sensory neural loss (commonly called nerve deafness), like me, there is no fix for this.  In this case you need to start immediately protecting yourself from further damage to your hearing.  Nerve deafness is caused by exposure to loud noises.  Primarily continuous noises like rock music, power tools, lawn mowers, and, yes, motorcycles.  It's a simple truth that riding a bike without ear plugs will damage your hearing over time.  You have the choice of dealing with reduced sound input while riding via ear plugs, or dealing with hearing loss every waking minute for the rest of your life.  Believe me, you don't want that!

If you don't get good consistent results with foam plugs, then go to any hearing aid vendor and get custom molded ones.  They work great and take no time to put in.  And thanks for listening.

Thanks for the info, I am currently on medication for it and will push for further checks and a referral.

As I mentioned in a previous post, I had a 1 000+ mile trip over the weekend and had time to try and pin point the noise problem.

Possibly my hearing issues overshadow aerodynamic causes from the bike, but for now I have ruled out the screen being my cause - tuck behind the screen or stand up, the noise stays exactly the same.
I did find the noise more bearable now that my hearing has improved a bit (strange as that sounds!) For now I'm going to focus on my helmet, the exhaust air vents are near my ears. Opening the roof vent balances out the noise to both sides. Might try and block the air vent on my sensitive side to eliminate or confirm that is the reason - won't leave it blocked though! Workable ear protection does sound like the only way I can now go.

First thing I would do in your situation is make sure you're putting foam plugs in correctly.
Patrick, possibly easier said than done. In my case I do not get on with them at all, firstly they hurt my ears and more importantly I am totally deaf when I have them in - helmet on and still off the bike I cannot hear a word anyone is saying to me let alone hearing the emergency services sirens, which by law requires us, in the UK, to pull over and let them pass. I have a large bag of ear plugs which I can't use  :'( 
...There's no simple solution to this, pity, wish there was 

For me personally, I could care less "what the law requires" in terms of my hearing protection. Proper fitting foam ear plugs should make it very difficult to hear people speaking - and that is for someone with normal hearing.
That is what you want.  If you don't achieve that with ear plugs, you risk losing the hearing you have left.

They should not hurt your ears. Try other brands. Cut them to 1/2" so the helmet doesn't knock them out of place when you put on the helmet.
Roll the plugs up very tight, then quickly insert deep into ear as pull lobe out and yawn. 
Gently push on the end of the plug as it expands and the world goes quiet within about 10 seconds.
Enjoy your ride, and ignore the .000001 % chance that someone actually pulls you over to see if you are in compliance with any law regarding ability to hear sirens.

Steve,  Have you heard the term 'Patulus(sp?) Eustachian tube'?  If you have that, you are basically screwed as far as I know.  This is a very difficult condition and makes your own speech very loud inside your head.  It results from the Eustachian tube staying open.  It's normally closed except for swallowing or yawning.  This condition renders most normal noise control remedies useless.  Treatment involves irritating the opening at the back of your throat to get it to swell up a bit, thus closing off the tube.

I haven't @bobaintstoppin, to be honest I hadn't even heard (sorry no pun intended) of the Eustachian tubes either till I was given medication to clear an infection in them.  The hearing ones' own voice loudly will explain why I'm quite softly spoken, counter intuitive of what you'd expect from hard of hearing folk. I've had my adenoids and tonsils taken out when I was 5, think there is something in this.

I'm sorry I seem to have monopolised a thread about wind noise, but do appreciate the comments. Not sure I like the prognosis, but came to that conclusion when I was 7 - as a  result I guess I have adjusted to it to the point usually people don't realise I have a hearing defect. Trying to solve an abnormal problem using normal methods  isn't going to work for me.
In a way I have to thank Yamaha and subsequently this forum for  brining this center stage for me, never found an issue with my previous bikes, but clearly it's been there all along. Have to admit it was the last thing I would have expected from a motorcycling forum, so a special thanks to everyone who have commented. I'll be onto the DR when the current course is due to finish and with the help from here, I'll not be fobbed off.

Love the Ermax sport windscreen!  Much fresher wind flow now that its heating up and not as much buffeting as the stock screen.  The top position works best for me at 5'9".  No problems with either of the 3 positions interfering with the handguards as others have reported.

Love the Ermax sport windscreen!  Much fresher wind flow now that its heating up and not as much buffeting as the stock screen.  The top position works best for me at 5'9".  No problems with either of the 3 positions interfering with the handguards as others have reported.
I agree about the small Ermax Sport screen. It helped me to get rid of the extreme buffeting issues I had with the stock. It was so bad for me that it got really uncomfortable at speeds above 80km/h and I usually got ringing in my ears after a ride, even when I used foam ear plugs or my custom molded ear plugs. But of course Ermax is not as quiet as when I stand up, but at least it doesn't smack you around like the stock screen.. the air is simply much less turbulent. 

I'm 192cm/6'4" and use a Shoei GT Air, and I find the middle position is pretty good and directs the air to above chest height.

Also no problems with hand guard interference in any position.

Archived