Wind Noise

I'm back in town with my bike. Did a short ride yesterday and it is noticeably louder than the rented 1190 Adventure R w/ windscreen i just rode 1500 miles on. Also much louder than my 690 Enduro R w/ no screen. Neither of these bikes make much wind noise at all. Really didn't see the need for sound protection on either.

If the rain holds off, I'm going to ride with no screen to see how that sounds.

Also, I found that I can get swim type reusable ear plugs into my ears! 26 db reduction. The foam ones just won't work for my ear canals.

I hope to report back on without windscreen vs with windscreen noise levels later today.

2015 FJ-09, 2016 1290 Super Duke, 2017 150 XC-W (primary ride), 2012 DR650

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow! With no windscreen, the noise is gone. Bike looks odd, like something is missing without it though. I previously found the lowest position was the best for me. 6'2" and a long torso.

I'm going to try the following, in order:
[ul type=disc][*]Spacers under windscreen at lower two screws (i'll need longer screws) to reduce the angle (more horizontal). Lowest position.[*]Spacers under windscreen at upper two screws to increase  the angle (more vertical). Highest position.[*]Spacers under windscreen at lower two screws and new holes drilled in windscreen to lower as far as possible. New lowest position.[*]If none of the work for me, I may cut the screen down. This option is obviously irreversible.[/ul]
Rain is still threatening, so not sure what testing I'll get to try today.

Wish me luck!

Strange but true: The screws holding on the windscreen are not metric! They are SAE 10x32. Go figure.

Added 22mm spacer at the bottom and 6mm spacer at the top. Lowest position. Not much improvement.
Tried highest position, no better.

Drilled new holes in windscreen, 75mm above stock holes (to lower the windscreen 75mm). Used the same 22mm & 6mm spacers. Somewhat better, but still not as good as no windscreen. I think I need to drill another set of new holes about 50mm higher for a total lowering of 125mm.

JUGuZTJ.jpg
LredWDJ.jpg
ra2lst0.jpg

Latest ride impressions:

Rode with the previous 75mm lowering and spacers again (60 mile loop) . If I had perfect posture, it was slightly quieter than my normal slightly slouched posture.

Drilled new holes to lower an additional 50mm (5" total now). Still using the spacers. Rode another 70 mile loop and it is much better, but still not as good as no screen.

Just ordered a tall Calsci screen and await it's arrival. I'm hoping it will be smooth and quiet. The otherwise nice Madstad screen, which I have on a different bike, is not an option for me on the FJ, because it currently requires removal of part of the hand guards.

Archived