Tracer 9 GT Top Box Installation

Hi

I received the top box and plate yesterday and thought I'd install it this morning.

Only three bolts to fix the rack to the bike, so probably a 5 minute job.

How wrong was I! The minimalistic instruction sheet that indicates that you have to remove a few bits didn't help at all, but it turned out that I had to remove many pieces of fairing with loads of push rivets to get the bolts to go in and be able to fasten them. Then in putting back all the bits I'd removed, it was a challenge to remember which plastic fairing pins went were and and manoeuvring everything in to place. Finally got  it done after about 2 hours, but what a PITA. Lost a few fairing pins in the process, and had to replace a couple, but still ended up with a few bits left over.

I'm happy with the result but can't believe Yamaha couln't make it simpler!

Vic

IMG_4429.jpeg

• Thumbsup 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Sums up my experience aswell! 
Its not like it was a challenge, but my god the instructions were balls haha.
Same goes for installing the heated grips etc (i have the non GT spec) 
The front fairing is really easy to disassemble thankfully, but in terms of installing the grips and routing cables etc the instructions were borderline useless. 

• Supporting Member
5 hours ago, vic said:

Hi

I received the top box and plate yesterday and thought I'd install it this morning.

Only three bolts to fix the rack to the bike, so probably a 5 minute job.

How wrong was I! The minimalistic instruction sheet that indicates that you have to remove a few bits didn't help at all, but it turned out that I had to remove many pieces of fairing with loads of push rivets to get the bolts to go in and be able to fasten them. Then in putting back all the bits I'd removed, it was a challenge to remember which plastic fairing pins went were and and manoeuvring everything in to place. Finally got  it done after about 2 hours, but what a PITA. Lost a few fairing pins in the process, and had to replace a couple, but still ended up with a few bits left over.

I'm happy with the result but can't believe Yamaha couln't make it simpler!

Vic

IMG_4429.jpeg

It certainly is a proper PITA of a job !! 👎

2019 900 GT, 1969 Honda S90

6 hours ago, OldBikers said:

That's why I got a SHAD rack and SH45 top box.  Also because they had those in stock for my 2021 and there were no Yamaha items available.

I got shafted with that. I ordered the yamaha top box kit a month ago for a tour in September. Took the bike in last week to have the rack fitted only to be informed that the box is on back order. Delivery e pected in November. Bugger.

@vic Thanks for sharing your experience, the bike is looking good! Would you be able to share a picture of the instructions if you have them by any chance? I just ordered the mounting plate for a Yamaha Tmax scooter, which supposedly fits a Tracer 9 GT but it would be nice to see what the official instructions look like and any torque specs if they are listed as well. From the videos I've seen on Youtube already, it does seem like a frustratingly complex process for something that should've been designed to take <5 minutes.

Edited by motoontheweekend

• Premium Member

I did mine is a few years ago, but if memory serves me correctly, it was pretty easy to install.

1) I had to install the side bars along either side of the bike for the Base/Platform for the case which will be just behind the seat

2) Attach the flat mounting plate to each side bar - just behind the seat 

3) Make sure the rack is straight behind the bike, and not tilted, and then just tighten the screws (I used a dab of locktite to be safe

4) Your top case should slide into the of the mount and snap to stay secure.

I have around 15K miles with mine, and no issues. I find the top case invaluable for touring and overnight trips, but for day rides, I typically remove the top case and use my side cases only. This helps reduce the effect of side winds on the bike, and for a day trip, the side bags are always enough storage for me.

• Thumbsup 1

Thanks for the tips DavidS. My main concern is the plate installation as it seems like multiple pieces of the bike need to be taken off in order to leave enough room for a wrench to screw in the 3 mounting plate screws. As a newbie wrencher, the task seems intimidating but I'll see once the parts arrive.

On 8/9/2022 at 12:01 AM, motoontheweekend said:

Thanks for the tips DavidS. My main concern is the plate installation as it seems like multiple pieces of the bike need to be taken off in order to leave enough room for a wrench to screw in the 3 mounting plate screws. As a newbie wrencher, the task seems intimidating but I'll see once the parts arrive.

Yes indeed. If only it was as easy. I think the T9 seems to have made it more complex than it need be just to get at the 3 bolt holes!

• 2 weeks later...

I'll be installing mine this weekend - definitely dreading taking all the extra pieces off.

One thing I learned from installing a few other bits is to have a good organizational system - either a small case or magnetic pan for screws, some sort of bowl for plastics, and a tagging mechanism. Seems silly, but saves a ton of time putting everything back together!

I installed mine last weekend and it went better than expected. 100% on making sure you document the whole process with pictures/videos as necessary and organizing parts into separate containers. The only problem I had was when trying to put things back together. The 3 plastic push rivets that hold the seat plastic trim to the bracket on the gas tank...one of them broke and the other two were somehow too large to fit back into the hole...no idea how they were installed. I'm pretty sure I didn't accidentally swap them with other push rivets too. Anyway, I ended up ordering new ones off Partzilla and am still waiting for them to deliver.

About 2h at a leisurely pace (not spare part left), and another hour for the re-key. Instructions are crap and some of the panel removals aren't intuitive. Silver body pieces slide forward when removed - not simple clip-ons. Paneer hanger bolts were a b*tch and had to be aligned properly when re-installed - I used a #5 allen key to keep it in place.

image.thumb.jpeg.1921dd6c0fc882039b6b629b4b0789f3.jpeg

• Thumbsup 1

• 5 months later...