Colorado trip, interrupted.

maximo

So I pulled the trigger on the Colorado ride. Got my bike serviced, put on new tires, got a dry bag, and off I went. I took @redfjninerGPS file and modified it to extend it a few days, so I spent the first 4 days in the Nevada, Utah desert. Yesterday, as I was tooling around, I noticed that it was getting harder to start after every stop. The battery didn't seem to be charging for more than a couple of cranks. I got to Moab last night and got a good rest.

First thing today the bike wouldn't start, so I jump started it and went to O'Reillys to buy a new battery. 

I swapped it out, and it cranked over, but wouldn't start. 

I had it towed to the local bike shop, and they said the battery was completely dead. They put the booster cables and got it to crank, but no fire. 

So they're keeping it overnight and will try it again tomorrow. Crossing fingers. 

I'll say this about the bike, it's been surprisingly good over long stretches of desert. Until this thing happened, it's been the most I've enjoyed this bike. 

PXL_20220808_185413535.jpg

• Sad 4

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current

3 hours ago, maximo said:

...went to O'Reillys to buy a new battery. 

I had it towed to the local bike shop, and they said the battery was completely dead.

Did they sell you a bad battery? How could a new battery be completely dead at the shop. 

New batteries may not be FULL charge, but shouldn't act like that.

1980 Yamaha 850 Triple (sold). Too many bikes to list, FJ-09 is next on my list

• Supporting Member
3 hours ago, maximo said:

First thing today the bike wouldn't start, so I jump started it and went to O'Reillys to buy a new battery. 

I had it towed to the local bike shop, and they said the battery was completely dead. They put the booster cables and got it to crank, but no fire. 

So they're keeping it overnight and will try it again tomorrow. Crossing fingers

I hate to hear of situations like this, especially while on vacation and it interrupts your trip.  I hope they have good news for you in the morning.

• Like 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

25 minutes ago, Lone Wolf said:

Did they sell you a bad battery? How could a new battery be completely dead at the shop. 

Not sure, tbh. I was doing all this at the store's parking lot, un shaded, in 100+ degrees. I was not in the right mind. 

• Thumbsup 1

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current

10 hours ago, peteinpa said:

That sucks.

miles on bike and maint. done?

22k and I just had a full service by the dealer a few weeks ago, including a valve adjustment. I keep to the mfgr schedule, so whatever was needed got done (the valves IIRC were due at 24k but I wanted them checked and adjusted before the trip). 

Oy, that sucks!!!! Hope it’s something pretty simple. 

My wife and I take a 2 week trip to North Carolina every summer and bring along a bike on the Kendon trailer, been my Sprint in the past. Last summer I bought a brand new Jeep Wrangler as the tow vehicle and it puked out its coolant just outside of Knoxville on our way there. After a bunch of calls and begging we found a dealer to look at it right away, luckily was a known issue and easy to fix, so it was only a 4 hour blip in the entire trip. Could have been worse, and we ended up having a great trip regardless. 

Here’s hoping for a similar outcome; good luck to you!!!

Edited by miweber929
Clarity
  • Thumbsup 1

10 hours ago, Lone Wolf said:

I just read this more clearly (amazing what a good night's sleep will do!) 

The new battery was charged. After I installed it (mistake #1, I am amazingly incompetent with a wrench. I should have taken the battery and the bike directly to the shop and have them install it. It took me nearly 2 hours in the parking lot to do it myself) it cranked over fine. It just wouldn't start. While I waited 90 minutes for AAA to show up I periodically tried to start it, and I drained it myself (mistake #2. I should stop counting). 

2 hours ago, peteinpa said:

You didn't put the battery in backwards did you?  If you put it top up, you will cross - and +.

A fairly common mistake.

Initially I did have it backward, I forgot to rotate it 90 degrees. The cables couldn't reach, so I was puzzled. Eventually it dawned on me what I did. I flipped it and connected it correctly. 

• Premium Member
18 hours ago, maximo said:

PXL_20220808_185413535.jpg

I'm impressed with the tow truck. Anyone around here just puts the bike in the kickstand on a flat bad and uses ratchet straps. Or refuses to come. Or cancels after waiting 2 hours because they "suddenly" realize it's a motorcycle. Or worse, shows up, claims surprise when it's a motorcycle, leaves and tries to bill you.

• Thumbsup 1

I hope it is something simple like a blown fuse.

Keep us posted and drink plenty of water!

1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09