Colorado trip, interrupted.

maximo

12 hours ago, nhchris said:

I hope it is something simple like a blown fuse.

Keep us posted and drink plenty of water!

We have a winner! 

Turns out it was the fuse to the ecu that blew. I've never been more grateful for a $0.37 piece of electric genius. 

I got the bike back yesterday afternoon and made up for lost ground. 

To those of you who recommended hwy 141, thank you! I hadn't planned on taking it, but I did it north to South. What a fantastic road! 

I went up to Telluride, over lizard pass, down to Cortez. And with that deviation, I have to redo my routes. 

So happy to be back on the road! 

PXL_20220809_184808794.jpg

• Thumbsup 8
  • Like 1

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current

Good read with helpful insights.  I've done several long trips and that is the kind of issue that I have some concern about.  When reading thru the post I was thinking stator or regulator but great it turned out to just be a battery and a fuse.  

I spent 6 days in Nebraska getting parts and repairing my BMW that had a wheel bearing go bad.  Good part was I was close enough to where I was going that night to make it.  LOL it broke after everything was closed so I had time to sit around and search the internet.  Was going to trade for a Tracer 900 GT when I got back from the trip but found one 250 miles away in Sioux Falls SD so after fixing the BMW rode it up there and traded.  I missed part of my trip - 6" of snow in Red Lodge MT but made it there last year.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, wanderer said:

I can't help wondering why it blew, and if it will blow again.

This was 100% me, and probably. 🙂

I don't remember exactly how much detail I put earlier, but one of the things I did, after I took the original battery out, but could not fit the new one in, I had the harebrained Idea of simply connecting the leads to my battery jumper. Or it could have been when I finally did put the new battery in, but reversed the polarity. Whichever of these two ham-fisted acts of incompetence did it, I don't know, but in my limited understanding of mechanical/electrical structures, I classify them both as "oops". 

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current