OBD2 - iOS / iPhone Apps?

FZ1FZ1

I've encountered the same crickets you are 🙂   Haven't found any apps that work.  Think I bought something for my MacBook but usually dig out a PC notebook I keep around for that and a few other things.  I have Android devices primarily for code reading.

My Chevy Bolt EV has some folks that have tracked down a number of the codes that relate to the battery cells and cell voltages in addition to other things.  Unfortunately no code reader for the Mac or iOS.  Costco had a sale on the small Samsung tablet so I picked up one for just that purpose.  I added a new phone line for my new daughter-in-law and the carrier had a deal if I added a line I got a free line and a free smart phone.  I got the free line and phone.  LOL its a Samsung.  Set it up in the Android world with a Gmail account and bought a nice app just for reading codes.  I have a OBDLink MX+ bluetooth code reader and the adapter cable for the Yamaha connector.  Getting ready for a long trip and the phone will be along as a code reader and backup phone.  I have a Garmin Sumo XT for navigation but the Sammy phone will be in the backup role.  Not going to put my iPhone 12 on the handlebars.

The tablet is small enough I may pack it along but will already have my iPad and a small MacBook so need to limit electronic gear.  The Sammy tablet (and phone) could also be used with Garmin route planning software as well as REVER.

• Thumbsup 1

That would be a good solution.  My first device was an old Amazon Fire Tablet that I picked up at the Unclaimed Baggage store for $30.  I had to do some trickery to it.  Don't remember the details but seems like need to uninstall an Amazon store and install the Google Play store to get the app.  The Samsung tablet was $110 at Costco a year ago and a good solution.  Don't think the code reader apps are high HP apps so lots of devices should work.  The app I have is the Torque Pro, seems like there was a free version but the paid version enabled me to download a reference table of codes and descriptions.  In the Bolt world there are a number of folks using it.  Think there are others doing stuff with it as well.  I have  Forscan for my van but could use Torque Pro to read the codes on it.  

• Thumbsup 2

• 3 weeks later...

For iOS, I use DashCmd. It pairs well with my Kiwi3 from PLX Devices which I use between my car & truck. PLX also has their own app called Kiwi OBD but don't really use it much as I prefer the UI on DashCmd more intuitive and easy.

• Thumbsup 2