Front disk rotor replacement options

• Premium Member

On my Fastest Red 1 15 I installed 2014 R1 320 rotors (could have chose the red carriers but chickened out and got the black), and the 2014 R1 Brembo radial front master cylinder.  The R6 master was also an option, maybe a better one, I'm not sure.  I then sourced caliper spacers and longer bolts, a brake fluid reservoir, hose and hose clamps, a master cylinder bar clamp with integral mirror boss,  and fabricated a reservoir bracket that went under the mirror stem.

Plenty of options if you search old boy.

Check photos in my prior postings.  HH+ pads too taste as OEM are only GG.

Can you say 2 finger stoppies?

21 minutes ago, 2and3cylinders said:

On my Fastest Red 1 15 I installed 2014 R1 320 rotors (could have chose the red carriers but chickened out and got the black), and the 2014 R1 Brembo radial front master cylinder.  The R6 master was also an option, maybe a better one, I'm not sure.  I then sourced caliper spacers and longer bolts, a brake fluid reservoir, hose and hose clamps, a master cylinder bar clamp with integral mirror boss,  and fabricated a reservoir bracket that went under the mirror stem.

Plenty of options if you search old boy.

Check photos in my prior postings.  HH+ pads too taste as OEM are only GG.

Can you say 2 finger stoppies?

Thanks mate. 
EBC HH pads have been on every bike I’ve owned. Tried a few others when on special, but always come back as none have ever been as good. 

• Supporting Member

Hi @OZVFR - I know that the 2016 - 2020 model R1 rotors are correct for bolt pattern and offset to fit the FJ & Tracer 900/GT wheels.  They are 320mm diameter instead of the stock 298, so you’ll need caliper spacers as mentioned above.   I don’t know if the new T9 uses the same wheels, so you’re on your own in that situation… 

I’m sure there are other years of the R1 rotors that will fit (I have specifically heard 2004 as compatible), but be aware that many model years of R1 surprisingly have 310mm rotors fitted stock…  that’s probably not what you want.  

Would there be an advantage going to the R1 rotors compared to stock rotors with no other mods?  I need to clean my rotors as they brake unevenly at slow speeds but if they are warped and need replacement would the R1 be a good option?  Don't think they are warped as at higher speeds there is no pulsation in the brake lever when braking.

• Premium Member
10 hours ago, PhotoAl said:

Would there be an advantage going to the R1 rotors compared to stock rotors with no other mods?  I need to clean my rotors as they brake unevenly at slow speeds but if they are warped and need replacement would the R1 be a good option?  Don't think they are warped as at higher speeds there is no pulsation in the brake lever when braking.

Could be hard spots rather than warpage which really is rare unless damaged.  Check axial and radial wheel and disc runout (trueness).

Build up of pad material will also cause low speed "pulsing".  Clean with red, green and dark gray 3M Scotchbrite pads and 91% isopropyl alcohol. Some even use 150 grit sandpaper!  Rinse well.

Scrub the pads with still stainless steel wire brush and alcohol.

Be prepared for vastly improved performance!

Grease the slide pins and don't forget the rear brake.

• Thumbsup 2
  • Thanks 1