Tracer 900 riding position, thoughts?

One of the many reasons for mew getting a Tracer 900 was the riding position. Over the 21 years I've had my ZRX1200 I'd modified it as my body slowly demanded more comfort. Higher handlebars, then risers, I made brackets to lower the footpeg brackets then put some MFW Vario style extensions on. I'd got it well sorted and the fact that the Tracer had even more leg room, rear set at that, seemed to be the perfect match.

Having just taken the ZRX out for a ride this weekend I started to wonder if the Tracer's riding position is a little too much. The position the ZRX puts my legs seems to elevate some pressure on my backside compared with the tracer which drops then pulls the legs back which in turn shifts  the weight on my backside. I'm 6 foot tall with a 32" inseam, just wondering if anybody else has noticed this?

• Thumbsup 1

3 hours ago, Mark Jackson said:

One of the many reasons for mew getting a Tracer 900 was the riding position. Over the 21 years I've had my ZRX1200 I'd modified it as my body slowly demanded more comfort. Higher handlebars, then risers, I made brackets to lower the footpeg brackets then put some MFW Vario style extensions on. I'd got it well sorted and the fact that the Tracer had even more leg room, rear set at that, seemed to be the perfect match.

Having just taken the ZRX out for a ride this weekend I started to wonder if the Tracer's riding position is a little too much. The position the ZRX puts my legs seems to elevate some pressure on my backside compared with the tracer which drops then pulls the legs back which in turn shifts  the weight on my backside. I'm 6 foot tall with a 32" inseam, just wondering if anybody else has noticed this?

Back issues have made riding position paramount, I must sit erecf  feet directly below hips, very little forward lean. Cruisers are out of question. Master Yoda Riding Position is my guide, after 30 of my 64 yrs riding. I just put Heli Bar risers on my 2020 900gt, which with my Sargeant seat puts me in the best Yoda position. Suggest you check into Yoda.

• Thumbsup 1

Ive been using this inflatable seat pad for a bit. So far so good. You can postion it as forward or rearward on the seat as you want. The air channels do work.

The separate air chambers allows air to move from one chamber to another when you move around on the seat.

https://www.amazon.com/HOMMIESAFE-Motorcycle-Cushion-Fillable-Pressure/dp/B07TJQBJYF/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?crid=TJDMS6P6SJMZ&keywords=motorcycle+seat+pad&qid=1660622485&sprefix=motorcycle+seat%2Caps%2C185&sr=8-3

• Thumbsup 1

On 8/15/2022 at 2:41 PM, kilo3 said:

I've learned I have to sit smashed against the gas tank for the best overall feel. Feels like i'm right over the bars but that's where it's most comfy for me.

This is my seating position when I get in the twisties. In the businessman's position I call it. Regular sport touring I do a more relaxed seating, mid-seat. I needed gen-mars on my ZRX1100 but the FJ doesn't need them. I never get the pain between the shoulder blades on the FJ. 

• Thumbsup 1

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!

• Premium Member

Funny of the coincidental kind you posted this subject.

My body also demanded over the years that I mutate my 98 Honda VTR1000F (Superhawk) into a sport tourer by finding first Helibar, then some adjustable Italian followed by Moto 3D adjustable clipons that are almost 3" up and 1.5" back with more sweep. I also installed the excellent MFW Vario adjustable footpegs that are about .75" lower and .625 forward.  I've modified my ancient Sargent saddle 2 times more to my liking.

However, as my cervical and lumbar disc's degraded even more (after a high speed bicycle incident with / by another bicyclist), severe stenosis, bulging and slippage that my neck and lower back could not tolerate forced me onto a leftover 15 FJ-09 in 16.  Yet while a proverbial comparative couch, I still needed to go to Renthal Street Naked bars, a Sargent and now also adjustable footpegs. Yet the higher FJ-09 saddle still forces me to mount and dismount by stepping up on the left footpeg like one uses the stirrup to mount a horse.

The contrast between the two fastest red steeds was highlighted even more just last night when, after eliminating some of the spaghetti like wiring and 5 inline fuses abd a +/- buss distribution bar that went back to the early 2000s under the saddle with a FZ-1 Fuzeblock, and being just about ready to replace my antique incandescent spot driving lights with LED, I took the VTR out last night for a shake down run.

Where it was a gorgeous night and the Ole VTR was glorious and so much lower (I can swing my leg over) quicker, torqueyer and sneaky faster than the FJ, I felt like a Gorilla on a 16-inch bicycle! 

It seemed my knees were above my hips and feet radically up if not too much more rearward, and my hands of course a fair bit lower, forward and closer together.  Yet I managed, and reveled in the boom, bark and on rushing road felt at speed, where though I still was not quite acclimated back to the handling, it was almost telepathic, needing only slight counter steering input and lean to promote comparatively significant turn in and bending sprightly through tight or more open sweepers.

I only did 64 miles and after my lumbar fusion a year ago almost exactly (!) and my cervical disc repair on hold because both my shoulder rotator cuff repairs failed and myst be redone; we'll just have to see how far I can tolerate my VTR however much I hope I can rekindle our affair. 

The FJ won't mind, just as my RD400 has had to bide its time.

20220816_210846.jpg

20220816_180527.jpg

20220816_180708.jpg

20220816_163340.jpg

20220816_180838.jpg

• Thumbsup 2

6 minutes ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Funny of the coincidental kind you posted this subject.

My body also demanded over the years that I mutate my 98 Honda VTR1000F (Superhawk) into a sport tourer by finding first Helibar, then some adjustable Italian followed by Moto 3D adjustable clipons that are almost 3" up and 1.5" back with more sweep. I also installed the excellent MFW Vario adjustable footpegs that are about .75" lower and .625 forward.  I've modified my ancient Sargent saddle 2 times more to my liking.

However, as my cervical and lumbar disc's degraded even more (after a high speed bicycle incident with / by another bicyclist), severe stenosis, bulging and slippage that my neck and lower back could not tolerate forced me onto a leftover 15 FJ-09 in 16.  Yet while a proverbial comparative couch, I still needed to go to Renthal Street Naked bars, a Sargent and now also adjustable footpegs. Yet the higher FJ-09 saddle still forces me to mount and dismount by stepping up on the left footpeg like one uses the stirrup to mount a horse.

The contrast between the two fastest red steeds was highlighted even more just last night when, after eliminating some of the spaghetti like wiring and 5 inline fuses abd a +/- buss distribution bar that went back to the early 2000s under the saddle with a FZ-1 Fuzeblock, and being just about ready to replace my antique incandescent spot driving lights with LED, I took the VTR out last night for a shake down run.

Where it was a gorgeous night and the Ole VTR was glorious and so much lower (I can swing my leg over) quicker, torqueyer and sneaky faster than the FJ, I felt like a Gorilla on a 16-inch bicycle! 

It seemed my knees were above my hips and feet radically up if not too much more rearward, and my hands of course a fair bit lower, forward and closer together.  Yet I managed, and reveled in the boom, bark and on rushing road felt at speed, where though I still was not quite acclimated back to the handling, it was almost telepathic, needing only slight counter steering input and lean to promote comparatively significant turn in and bending sprightly through tight or more open sweepers.

I only did 64 miles and after my lumbar fusion a year ago almost exactly (!) and my cervical disc repair on hold because both my shoulder rotator cuff repairs failed and myst be redone; we'll just have to see how far I can tolerate my VTR however much I hope I can rekindle our affair. 

The FJ won't mind, just as my RD400 has had to bide its time.

20220816_210846.jpg

20220816_180527.jpg

20220816_180708.jpg

20220816_163340.jpg

20220816_180838.jpg

Cruiser riding position really stresses my lumbar, can't even use hiway pegs. I've ridden enough different type bikes since I started a lifetime ago to know what works for me. I even have to be as upright as possible in my cars. Some cars had my stretched out and getting in/out put my hips lower than my knees. That kills my lumbar area. Riders who don't have back problems are very fortunate. Those of us with disc issues gotta be careful with riding position, or walk around in that contorted grimace faced "my back went out" look. Master Yoda works for me.

• Thumbsup 1

Yes, getting old sucks.  I'm now taking Tylenol before a ride.  My butt, shoulders, neck all hurt.  The rides get shorter and shorter. Don't know how much longer I've got.

It's too the point It's distracting and dangerous. ☹️😥

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, peteinpa said:

Yes, getting old sucks.  I'm now taking Tylenol before a ride.  My butt, shoulders, neck all hurt.  The rides get shorter and shorter. Don't know how much longer I've got.

It's too the point It's distracting and dangerous. ☹️😥

You need help!

I know where you're at because I was there over 10 years ago

If I knew then what I know now when I was younger

My only suggestion is Trying to lose weight getting shape, whatever that is...

I alternate every 4 hours between ibuprofen and acetaminophen 

I set my alarm on the odd minute for ibuprofen and even minutes for acetaminophen 

There's all sorts of drugs out there, I've tried alot of them in addition to Steroidal epidurals under floriscope

Big friggin needles in the neck and lumbar spine

Sciatica is the big thing

Nerve ablation is another neat trick

There are implants where they set wires to block the pain signals

Torn up and worn out joints are also fun

Ligaments tendon's labrum cartilage

Find a good medical system that specializes in orthopedics And sports medicine tied in with their own physical therapy center

I could go on but you get the drift

• Thumbsup 3

Well it's very heartening to hear of folk who have various levels of 'conditions' which impose on their lives but who still keep riding. I'm only 61 but have ridden bikes solid for 44 years. The last 30 years have seen me have to carry a lot of equipment about (I'm a photographer) and so the wear and tear eventually rears it's ugly head. Lately my neck and shoulder have been a big problem, the result of all those years wearing a helmet and battling the wind for nigh on 400,000mls is bound to take it's toll. If I could go back in time to stop myself embarking on this wonderful obsession I wouldn't. Since first slinging a leg over my brand new KH250 in '78 my whole world has revolved round bikes. All the folk I've know, good mates, girlfriends, the weekends and touring holidays, 25 visits to the Isle of Man TT, the soakings, the breakdowns, the 'spanner rash' the horrendous heamorrage of money, the camaraderie and my wife have all happened because of bikes. Sure, My neck and shoulder give me hassle, along with my fingers (too many years of winter riding when I was young) knee (car accident) back (partly bike but also carrying heavy equipment) and plenty of other niggles. You just gotta except it as part and parcel of the biking experience and, if you like, evidence of a life lived well🤓

• Thanks 2