Kenda KM1 Sport Touring Tires $150/Set

• Supporting Member

Not a review, but there's not really a "motodeals" section in the forum or a tire section. Just ran across these while shopping tires. $150 for a set, these were released in 2021 as Kenda's entry into the sport touring segment:

https://www.motosport.com/kenda-km1-tire-combo?variant[KDAA015]=KDAA015-X001-Y001&variant[KDAA016]=KDAA016-X001-Y002

Amazon reviews are positive with 4.5/5 out of 84 reviews:

https://www.amazon.com/Kenda-Touring-Motorcycle-70ZR17-Keychain/dp/B09QXLG1Y8

Not really seeing much else in the way of reviews, but their dirt heritage is pretty positive so I've heard. Maybe someone here with more experience in powersports can chime in.

I put my order in, won't mount them right away as I got some tread still left in the OEM T32s. But will drop impressions here once I get some miles on them probably this fall.

• Thumbsup 1

I remove any Kenda tires from a motorcycle before I'll even roll it into my garage!

Much less actually ride a bike with them on it!

Just my $.02

Hope they work well for you.

2020 Tracer 900GT /1978 Suzuki GS750E /1978 Suzuki GS1000 /1982 Suzuki GS1100E /1999 Honda GL1500SE

I'm interested in how they work for you. They may not be a tire that I would run but sometimes have friends who don't want to spend the money or are in a more limited budget.  I'll recommend Shinkos and have seen Kenda's in Grom sizes but alway wanting to hear how tires work for other folks.  

On a tire note just pulled a Road 5 off that had close to 8,000 miles on it.  Had lots of tread left and looked like 10,000 would not be an issue.  7,000 miles were long distance trip miles.  In those miles were some really fun mountain miles so had more than usual side wear.  Road 6 went back on.

• Thumbsup 1

If testing proves it out, I'm more than willing to believe that Kenda is turning over a new leaf and making a decent street tire. It's about time. And the reviews seem promising.

By way of background, their street motorcycle tires until now have been truly, abysmally, spectacularly awful. Their bicycle, dirtbike, and even scooter tires are generally fine.  

Shinko's streetbike tires are also a great choice if you're pinching pennies. Not the longest-lived, or the raciest, but they'll get the job done. 

Anyway, let us know how it turns out. 

• Supporting Member
5 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

I've bought T32 and S21 for $210 shipped after the $50  Bridgestone rebate.

Can't beat that IMO.

But your ultimate findings will be noted.

Good luck.

The rebates are the best for sure, I snagged some T30 Evos for close to $160 with rebates once. T32s for $210 total is killer.

Everyone seems to hate on Shinko tires too but that's what I put on my cruisers, both the XJ650 and FXRS. Shinkos were on the '06 Fatboy in Taiwan doing switchbacks in the mountains last time I was visiting family, never had an issue. It's definitely left me suspicious of how much "high-end" tires are just trying to make marketing budget back, or passing the cost of swapping moldings for new designs onto the consumer. Fingers crossed for the Kendas.

That being said I am a total Bridgestone fanboy as I've never had a bad experience with them. Dunlops are the only bad tires I've experienced. I can't justify the price of Pilot Roads as where I live in the US usually means tires square off before tread is worn :( 

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
9 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

I've bought T32 and S21 for $210 shipped after the $50  Bridgestone rebate.

Can't beat that IMO.

But your ultimate findings will be noted.

Good luck.

Have you checked prices lately?  Prices have gone up, WAY up.  A set of T32’s is over $335 now, I have to add 10% state tax, so even with a $50 rebate they are quite a bit over $300 now. 😡

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Yeah, the days of $100 or less for a decent rear tire are over.

I've ran Shinkos and Kendas on various bikes in the past, no problems. Dual sport and street.

Still have a Dunlop RS2 rear in standby. Next for me probably RS3 unless too much $$$.  Then might go Kenda or 🤷

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, betoney said:

Have you checked prices lately?  Prices have gone up, WAY up.  A set of T32’s is over $335 now, I have to add 10% state tax, so even with a $50 rebate they are quite a bit over $300 now. 😡

Maybe I was lucky but this year I bought a set of Dunlop RS two's, the latest version And a set of T32 for like 210 total for all

Mid Last year I bought a set of T32 and S21 also for 210

• Like 1

18 hours ago, betoney said:

Yup, moto tire prices are NUTSO lately. And I'm not seeing any current rebates anywhere.

I just ordered up a set of the Avon Storm 3D X-M a few months early because they were just about the last premium ST tire that hadn't doubled prices. I've used them before and been very happy with them.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, bwringer said:

I just ordered up a set of the Avon Storm 3D X-M a few months early because they were just about the last premium ST tire that hadn't doubled prices. I've used them before and been very happy with them.

I have not used the Avons yet but heard good things about them.  How are they concerning performance and longevity?

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

3 hours ago, betoney said:

I have not used the Avons yet but heard good things about them.  How are they concerning performance and longevity?

I have my 6th set of Avon storm 3D XM's sitting in my garage ready to be fitted next month. Have used them on my previous two bikes Yamaha 900 Diversion and Honda CBF 1000. No issues with any of the tires and both dry and wet weather performance has been faultless. The present set on the Tracer went on at 10,700 miles I knew they were getting close to the limit when I checked them last week before I went off on a weekend camping trip and are probably now just under the legal limit and need to be changed. I hit 20,000 miles during the weekend so nearly 10,000 miles from them. I won't complain about that. I have heard some feedback on another site about de-lamination of Avon tires but as I said I've had no problems.

• Thanks 2

I put a set of the Avon Storm 3D XMs on my V-Strom 1000, and was mightily impressed. Great handling, outstanding grip in the wet (an Avon specialty), worked great in dry weather, and when I sold the bike a few thousand miles and a few months later, they looked new.

I have great timing... that bike also had a new chain and sprockets when I sold it. I don't think I've ever managed to buy a bike with fresh tires or a chain that wasn't shagged.

So anyway, longevity unknown, but reports from others are excellent in that regard. It will be a few more months before I install the set I have sitting here, so it'll be a while before I can report my findings.

Oh, and my set was made in England, which is nice to think about.

Avon often gets overlooked in the motorcycle tire world, but they consistently make some of the very best road rubber, with excellent manners in the wet thanks to their English heritage.  As I said, I happened to find a good price that hadn't been jacked up, so I grabbed a set even though I won't need them for a while.

The delamination or cracking thing was YEARS ago on a completely different model of tire, the Avon RoadRider, made for vintage bikes. I used up and installed MANY sets and never once saw any cracking, but I know people who had and documented this problem. Anyway, that's in the distant past, and fixed long ago.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

Back to the original actual topic... I'll be watching for a review on the new Kendas with great interest.

I use Shinkos on my vintage bike because they have excellent performance at a bargain price; the only downside is that they don't last very long. Since I don't ride that bike nearly as much as my others, this works out great; I generally spoon on a new set every spring and enjoy fresher buns for the season.

I'm hoping the Kendas might offer something similar.