Atlantic Canada 2022

piotrek

• 2 months later...
On 9/14/2022 at 7:19 PM, piotrek said:

It was super fun indeed. So many places yet to see and experience... 🤔

Hi piotrek,  Thanks for that very interesting summary of your trip. Great to hear you had an awesome trip.  Hope you enjoyed the conversations, jokes and singing 😁.

A few of us are planning a trip next summer from the Brampton area.  A few questions if you don't mind:

I'm assuming you prebooked accommodation for the remote areas especially?

Did you also pre book ferry crossings?

How many litres of gas would you say is enough for the long stretches?  I'm riding the Tracer 900GT

Did you put those tires on specifically for the trip?

Any other tips or advice?

Thanks

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
On 9/12/2022 at 9:46 PM, piotrek said:

Rotopax Perch. Made this specifically for trips like this, it worked flawlessly. The containers were easy on/off the perch, and were nicely locked in transit. Very happy with the outcome.

Amazing trip and write up. Any chance of more details or a close up pic of the 'Rotax Perch' setup?

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

What a great travel log.  Sooo jelly!  I can't wait to ride out to eastern Canada.

Thanks for the amazing detail and photos!

• Thumbsup 1

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

• Supporting Member
On 11/22/2022 at 9:47 AM, MarksT9GT said:

...Great to hear you had an awesome trip.  Hope you enjoyed the conversations, jokes and singing 😁.

A few of us are planning a trip next summer from the Brampton area.  A few questions if you don't mind:

I'm assuming you prebooked accommodation for the remote areas especially?

Did you also pre book ferry crossings?

How many litres of gas would you say is enough for the long stretches?  I'm riding the Tracer 900GT

Did you put those tires on specifically for the trip?

There was a lot of much needed me time for sure. I recommend. 😜

I pre-booked all motels, in rolling phases... several days in advance. I had trouble finding a room in Labrador City, Goose Bay and Blanc Sablon.  Goose Bay was expensive... they had some sort of regional event going on and motels were packed. If you plan on going to Cartwright... there is only one (small) motel and rooms can fill up with seasonal workers.

You don't have to pre-book crossings, BUT... the Argentia route is a 16h over-nighter and securing a cabin was hard. I put my name down on a wait list before the trip, and it took over a week to have a reservation in hand. This crossing ain't cheap, but well worth it IMO. Port Aux Basques was the backup route, but it's awkward because you arrive in North Sydney at 6pm with not a lot of day left for riding.

I needed two extra gallons of fuel between Goose Bay and Cartwright. Port Hope Simpson was just a bit further. YMMV... but I'd carry two extra gallons through Labrador.

The tires went on for the trip. You can chance it on road tires, but I wanted a peace of mind and better control on gravel... much of which was loose and nasty. They did well on pavement.

Feel free to reach out with other questions as they come up and you get closer to the trip.

Edited by piotrek
  • Thumbsup 1
  • Like 3

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

• Supporting Member
14 hours ago, Heli ATP said:

...Any chance of more details or a close up pic of the 'Rotax Perch' setup?

Might find what you need here. I can take more photos if you need.

• Thumbsup 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/23/2022 at 10:28 PM, piotrek said:

There was a lot of much needed me time for sure. I recommend. 😜

I pre-booked all motels, in rolling phases... several days in advance. I had trouble finding a room in Labrador City, Goose Bay and Blanc Sablon.  Goose Bay was expensive... they had some sort of regional event going on and motels were packed. If you plan on going to Cartwright... there is only one (small) motel and rooms can fill up with seasonal workers.

You don't have to pre-book crossings, BUT... the Argentia route is a 16h over-nighter and securing a cabin was hard. I put my name down on a wait list before the trip, and it took over a week to have a reservation in hand. This crossing ain't cheap, but well worth it IMO. Port Aux Basques was the backup route, but it's awkward because you arrive in North Sydney at 6pm with not a lot of day left for riding.

I needed two extra gallons of fuel between Goose Bay and Cartwright. Port Hope Simpson was just a bit further. YMMV... but I'd carry two extra gallons through Labrador.

The tires went on for the trip. You can chance it on road tires, but I wanted a peace of mind and better control on gravel... much of which was loose and nasty. They did well on pavement.

Feel free to reach out with other questions as they come up and you get closer to the trip.

Thanks very much for the info. I will definitely take you up on your offer.   Approx how much of the road is unpaved?  Is it all one stretch or split up?

• Supporting Member
On 12/3/2022 at 6:59 PM, MarksT9GT said:

Thanks very much for the info. I will definitely take you up on your offer.   Approx how much of the road is unpaved?  Is it all one stretch or split up?

Through Labrador there's probably ~250km unpaved along RTE389, with two ~100km stretches...one beginning just past Manic-Cinq (loose, rough gravel), and then again when approaching Fremont (mostly packed gravel/dirt). RTE516 to Cartwright is unpaved (~200km RT loose gravel/dirt). Short sections here and there, and anything off beaten path. Overall pretty civilized... more so than I imagined. I rode RTE389 in dry weather, but RTE516 in heavy rain. Expect the bike (and you) to get filthy. There are no services (auto shops etc.) outside Labrador City and Goose Bay, so just make sure the bike is in good shape.

• Thumbsup 3

• 2 months later...

Awesome write-up @piotrek!

The one thing that I took away from this was your comment around visiting your old neighbours, and how only 3 short years after retiring, he is facing a life threatening disease. I think this is a great reminder to us all to not put off until tomorrow what we really want to do in this life (I know I am terrible for this) as you just never know.

Your trip report is an inspiration for others to do just exactly this!

Thank you for sharing.

• Thumbsup 2

• Premium Member
On 2/17/2023 at 1:44 PM, rlambke19 said:

Awesome write-up @piotrek!

The one thing that I took away from this was your comment around visiting your old neighbours, and how only 3 short years after retiring, he is facing a life threatening disease. I think this is a great reminder to us all to not put off until tomorrow what we really want to do in this life (I know I am terrible for this) as you just never know.

Your trip report is an inspiration for others to do just exactly this!

Thank you for sharing.

Gosp’l Truth. 

• Thumbsup 1

Let’s go Brandon