Clutch

Hi

After 30 mins riding I put it in neutral clutch in no problem clutch out really rattles and handle bar vibration is bad pull clutch in noise and vibration goes select 1st and bike jumps forward. Its all OK when cold any ideas please I've only been riding 18 months 1st nice bike

Thanks Jeff 

Reason it jumps when putting it in first is the slight friction between the clutch plates when the clutch is poured in is causing the drivetrain to spin a bit.  My 2020 900 GT doesn’t only does it very slightly.  Rattling may be clutch basket, mine makes noise but not additional handlebar vibrations.

my 1st suggestion is to adjust the clutch.  It may be a bit “tight”. I.e. the plates are not being pulled apart far enough when the clutch is pulled in (disengaged).  It is a wet clutch which means the clutch plates have engine oil on them (why you should never use car oil in a motorcycle). If the plates are not pulled apart far enough the oil on the place will have enough friction to cause them to spin the drivetrain.  Also letting the clutch out in neutral causes the drivetrain to spin.  If still spinning when a gear is selected the energy in the spinning drivetrain will cause the bike to jump as the drivetrain has to come to a stop.  In my experience fresh oil tends to be worse than oil with miles on it - not saying the old oil is bad.

2nd suggestion is if it is an FJ09 there have been some clutch basket issues.  A couple of threads on those.  I’m off on a motorcycle trip to Canada and working off my iPad or would look them up but you can figure out the search function I’m sure.

my CBR600RR and my Kawasaki ZX6R would both jump when putting into 1st.  Wouldn’t stress about it.

Edited by PhotoAl

Thanks

I understand clutch adjustment so I'll try that. I got it from a yam dealer 9 months ago so it had new oil then I've done 4000ish miles and there was always a little noise but vibration has just started 

Enjoy your trip

Thanks Jeff 

My 21 GT at over 12k miles is fairly noisy in the clutch basket.  Neutral, clutch out, it makes a racket especially when cold.  I don't notice it while riding because I wear earplugs most of the time.  I've had other bikes that had noisy clutch baskets.  I think this is normal for this bike.  As for the first gear thunk, yeah it is among the worst I've ever seen on any bike.  Worse even than a Harley tourer.  At least with the Harley you can hold the clutch in for a few seconds and then snick into first without a clunk.  This Tracer you can hold the clutch in forever and it will still whack when you go to first.  Normal.

• Thumbsup 2

Some level of noise in the clutch basket is normal. There are multiple rubber "pieces" behind the clutch basket meant to absorb vibration. These are are somewhat 'loose-fitting' from factory. I read you can replace these with a tighter fitting piece; however, if the noise doesn't bother too much, I wouldn't worry about it. 

• Thumbsup 1

1 hour ago, duckie said:

I had a Ducati with a dry clutch…..yall no know nothing about a noisy clutch.

The rattle is the friction plate tabs beating against the basket. Thats why it quiet downs when the clutch is pulled in. 

Same for the dry clutch BMW's. :) 

My 2016 FJ09 behaves exactly as you describe your bike.  20k miles.

Don’t  worry, be happy!

1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09