AHRMA Blackhawk Farms Raceway

2and3cylinders

• Premium Member

Knowing yesterday was going to be another gorgeous day I headedup to Blackhawk for the AHRMA races, and visit with a dedicated racer buddy who volunteered to work Corner 6.  He very often volunteers for corner / control duty for car and bike races, which couldn't run without such selfless people. 

Anyway, I walked around until my sciatica locked up my hips, then got permission to help, really keep my buddy company.  Due to corner worker shortages, Corner 6 should have 2 workers, who also must cover Turns 5 and 7!

Here are some pics from the race.  You have to be independently wealthy to thash a Vincent, even though these 2 were there Meteor  / Comet singles not the much more valuable twins! 

20220827_125425.jpg

20220827_125418.jpg

20220827_123116.jpg

20220827_115823.jpg

20220827_115801.jpg

20220827_115720.jpg

20220827_115647.jpg

20220827_115627.jpg

20220827_115606.jpg

20220827_100958.jpg

• Thumbsup 6

Miss Blackhawk Farms, such a cool little track, when I lived in Madison I’d go down there all the time.

I almost did a track day there but I had a 929RR at the time and the guys who I knew riding there with the bigger bikes were saying you’d be in 2nd and 3rd gear the entire time and it was more of a lightweight/middleweight track so instead I always did Road America. But BF was a great track to hang at. 

Edited by miweber929

What displacement were the sidecars?

looks like a great little track.

1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

• Premium Member
30 minutes ago, nhchris said:

What displacement were the sidecars?

looks like a great little track.

AHRMA has a dozen + classes with a myriad maze of regs.  However, I did chat with a side hack racer (mostly / many husband driver; wife monkey crews) about displacement and power.  His class all had only average 60 hp.  I did see several 4 cylinder rigs, including a TZ750, so I'd presume there is a higher hp class.  As there was only one hack race, they must run the classes together which is not unusual depending on the quantity of entrants. Same goes for combining other classes, which often have staggered starts.  Yesterday, the 125 tidler race had a fun Le Mans start!

And yes, heavy hp bikes rarely get out of 2nd gear except for the straight.  On the other hand, some of the pre 1940 bikes seem exceedingly slow.  I think a race horse would match them coming out of turns.

20220827_125427.jpg

20220827_101052.jpg

• Thumbsup 1

Vintage stuff on the track is always cool. Its a visual history of where motorcycle racing came from and how far it has come.

Side cars are the ultimate team sport.

Something I realized my last track day……less shifting is better….spin the shit out of the motor.  So you only may use 2, 3 thats only one shift up and one shift down.  Pro road racers use 2/3 alot . More than 5 or 6. They spin the shit out of the motor. 

Thanks for helping out in a corner. Corners workers are the foundation of racing and track days. 

Cool pics too….

• Thumbsup 1

Thanks for helping out with corner marshaling.  I do it when they are having trouble finding folks.  It’s a lot of fun and a great front row seat!  Love AHRMA racing, have seen every year of the AHRMA races at Barber.  Sidecars are incredible to watch.  Watching them exit the corners is interesting.  Some just can’t get the power down.  Little know fact is after WW2 many sidecar racers were formerU-boat captains.  If you are close to Barberthe Barber Vintage Festival is always incredible.  Can walk the paddock and meet all sorts of former racers and folks.

• Premium Member

Most of the AHRMA folks are great people.

Back in the day I had a couple of AJS twins and Brit side hacks.  Used them for dates (chick's loved them), taking laundry to an fro, grocery shopping but mostly to the beaches in San Diego.

Hung with some of the SRA crew when they were a separate I think WERA class..

Had to give them up when both my shoulders got torn up from 21 years of Judo.  Which didn't do my hips and knees any favors either.  "Gentle Way" my arse.

I figured if I couldn't race any more helping at corners would keep me close to the action.

Maybe I'll keep my RD400 in track mode after I finally get the motor running after it siezed on me at Road America back in 83. LOL!