[Tracer 9 GT] USB adapter slipping out of 12v power outlet while riding

Just got a little 12v USB car adapter for my Tracer 9 GT, which I'm plugging into the power outlet on the left of the dash but over the course of an hour ride, it managed to slip itself halfway out of the socket due to bike vibrations. Anyone have any tricks to keep it wedged in tight? 

Electrical tape is your friend!

Try wrapping a couple wraps around it to "enlarge" the part that plugs in.

I've even used an o-ring under the metal contacts to make it a tighter fit!

2020 Tracer 900GT /1978 Suzuki GS750E /1978 Suzuki GS1000 /1982 Suzuki GS1100E /1999 Honda GL1500SE

Yeas, just cut some peace of plastic fastening strap, and put it in side of outlet while inserting your usb adapter. Just leave a little bit of strap hanging outside, to be able to eject your adapter.

Edited by Windster
  • Thumbsup 1

3 minutes ago, Suzukiguy said:

Electrical tape is your friend!

Try wrapping a couple wraps around it to "enlarge" the part that plugs in.

I've even used an o-ring under the metal contacts to make it a tighter fit!

1 minute ago, Windster said:

Yeas, just cut some peace of plastic fastening strap, and put it in side of outlet while inserting your usb adapter. Just leave a little bit of strap hanging outside, to be able to eject your adapter. Just leave a little bit of strap hanging outsibe, to be able to ejeckt your adaper.

It's answers like these that remind me that I need to up my hacking game 😁

Edited by motoontheweekend

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, motoontheweekend said:

Just got a little 12v USB car adapter for my Tracer 9 GT, which I'm plugging into the power outlet on the left of the dash but over the course of an hour ride, it managed to slip itself halfway out of the socket due to bike vibrations. Anyone have any tricks to keep it wedged in tight? 

The Yamaha socket is garbage, my GPS power adapter would lose connectivity several times each ride. I tried wrapping it in electrical tape or using cardboard shims but nothing worked, I even had it replaced under warranty with no improvement, I finally hard wired the GPS for a permanent solution.
 I’ve had the power adapter plugged into my Honda’s 12v socket since I bought the bike and never once lost connectivity. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Most if the problem likely is that the socket is mounted flush on a vertical surface. If the surface had some horizontal tilt to it vibration would help keep the plug seated rather than make it fall loose or out. IMO of course.

Yea helps to do a little DIY/McGyver of the 12V USB power outlet to keep it in place as posted by others earlier. Also if its a cheapo bought online, those normally aren't quite up to spec, ie loose or tight. I bought mine on Amazon and noticed a similar issue, just wedged a small thin edge zip tie cut from the tip to wedge the 12V adapter in place. So far its held in place and no heat issues either.

I just bent the contact a bit to tighten the fit of my old Garmin GPS Automotive power supply. Since then I installed a dual USB to the auxillary circuit.  Funny thing is that the USB adapter to 12V stays in place while charging my phone.