Stumpyone

HI guys, Mark here AKA Stumpyone. Just bought a 2019 Tracer 900GT and currently getting to know it. First impressions are a excellent but I have a french alps tour coming up so that will be the test bed.

I'm on the south coast of the UK Close to Portsmouth. Been in biking for as long as I can remember and have owned a variety of bikes not least 2 Vmax's and 2 Triumph Trophy's. Moved to the 900GT from a Honda CBF1000 as it was getting a bit long in the tooth.

I've already benefitted from advice on here so my thanks to all those who passed advice. Looking forward to getting involved in topics etc

Cheers

• Thumbsup 5

• Premium Member

Welcome aboard mate!

Keep a close eye out for those Froggy coppers and their speed traps and cameras.   I read now there installing sound cameras too!

It seems they're out to nail us everywhere in Europe, and closing primo roads to just bikes even with oe exhausts. Germany and their mountainous brethren being the worst.

At least here the multitude of HD riders make it difficult for the Man to crack down too far but he keeps trying.  Banning ICE bikes will be the next great threat. 

Enjoy it while you can. It's a great bike.

50 minutes ago, Brian said:

Congrats.....not sure how close you are to Texas, but we can go ride sometime  🙂

hey... 4829 miles by air!!!  my son lives in Austin though but i wouldn't be coming over on the bike!! 😃

Riding in France, keep your speed limits down if riding though towns and villages, if you have a sat nav with speed camera whereabouts it will only warn if cameras are within the area (keep your eyes peeled for either gantry or centre island standing about 4ft high) Gendarmerie usually give a wave so don't go mad or expect the big fine, instant cash or card payment on the spot.....good roads though and 2 finger salute to other bikers, friendly gesture leg out when a car gives way for you when over taking, always enjoy the food and beer. most locals are friendly especially if trying to make an effort speaking french..Enjoy the trip where ever you go

• Thumbsup 1

Welcome, I have a 2020 Tracer GT and love it.  Currently 4,300 miles into a long trip and several days away from home.  You will find lots of comments about the suspension and yes it may not be the best.  However mine is stock with just minor tweaking other then dialing the preload up as I’m running with full panniers and a 58 liter duffle on the rear seat plus a topcase with some stuff in it - light stuff.  Yesterday rode from east side of Glacier National Park down to Helena Montana.  Speed limits in Montana are 70 mph on 2 lane roads.  Road conditions vary but generally the surfaces are clean and free of gravel and sand.  At speed the Tracer suspension is soft enough to soak up the road undulations nicely.  For the Alps tour you will probably want better settings but mine has done ok in the mountains while still being supple enough for the long rides on the not so fun roads.  

Speed limits and enforcement.  On this trip I’ve ridden across many states and from North Dakota into Saskatchewan and Alberta over to Calgary.  Canadian speed limits are a pain, quite low and they have lots of signs about photo enforced.  On the divided highways folks seem to go fast and slow but always a hassle figuring it out.  Slow speed limits doesn’t mean better drivers!  In addition lots of gravel and sand on the roads.