Removing Your FJ-09 ECU!

6 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

I'm not so sure sound damping is this foam's only function.

This foam likely also provides insulation from engine heat, a possibly significant benefit during hot weather riding in traffic and at sustained high speeds.

Has the stated 4 ~ 5 HP been documented by before and after dyno testing under comparable temperature and barometric pressure?

It just seems unrealistic "that in this day and age" Yamaha would not have minimized noise emissions without sacraficing such easily maintained HP

Any # / Ft of torque also associated with the easy mod?

Inquiring minds need to know

Totally forget about this...it's been about 3yrs... 

Yes the foam was found to restrict about 4-5hp across the mid-range...

Both the FZ-09 and FJ-09 are the same engine so HP/TQ should mirror, they even share same airbox part numbers...

2WDW found this when comparing a tuned FZ-09 to a tuned FJ-09 Dyno chart... The hand sized piece of foam does inhibit a bit of airflow as it placed right over airbox intake- it's like a maze for the air to follow... 

You will be surprised power is loss when brands gotta meet certain market regs for certain emissions or noises... Such as using foam to muffle intake noises, running lean AFRs, using tight valve lashes to help achieve emissions, funky fueling transitioning between open/closed loop, etc...

Let's take the FZ-07 for example- stock airbox is good enough using an aftermarket airfilter will see avg gains of 1hp, even different modified airbox could barely net 2-3hp for quite a bit of work... Now change the airbox to a Hordpower airbox(open air-pod filter style), you will see a 10hp bump up top with no loss down low but now you can hear the glorious intake noises 😍

2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

• Premium Member

Please define "tuned"

Does tuned entail an ECU  flash with O2 sensor and mph limiter off, etc, TB sync, valve lash check/adjust, clean air filter...

Or more?

On 6/5/2017 at 10:18 PM, norcal616 said:

Pulling the foam netted an extra 4-5hp and provided better/smoother AFR numbers... All the foam does is muffle the intake/top end noises at the cost of performance...

Foam

Just now, 2and3cylinders said:

Please define "tuned"

Does tuned entail an ECU  flash with O2 sensor and mph limiter off, etc, TB sync, valve lash check/adjust, clean air filter...

Or more?

Foam

Tuned= Dyno tuned

As for the foam under the gas tank- you should just leave it alone then...

• Premium Member

Why leave the small area of foam over the AB snorkel if it truly provides 4~ 5 HP unless this will not be realized without  a custom ECU map generated with a dyno 

Is not 2WDW's standard ECU flash based on his extensive dyno work, and will it not provide this gain?

• Supporting Member
20 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Why leave the small area of foam over the AB snorkel if it truly provides 4~ 5 HP...

I think the whole HP gain is a very, very generous claim. The intake growl is more pronounced, so it must be worth 4-5 HP.... in the same way that my new exhaust will probably be worth 5 HP once I hear it. I say the foam is there to keep the bike quiet and to keep the crud from getting ingested into the air box. There is no ram-air effect with this design, so removing the foam doesn't help there. 'Rip this off and gain 4-5HP' sounds way too good to be true... but we want to believe. 😛

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

On 2/3/2019 at 3:26 PM, norcal616 said:

"Now change the airbox to a Hordpower airbox(open air-pod filter style), you will see a 10hp bump up top with no loss down low but now you can hear the glorious intake noises 😍"

I love the louder induction by removing the foam. Is there an FJ09 equivalent to the Hordpower? cause I would love that, plus it would be a lot cheaper than an exhaust. 

19 hours ago, norcal616 said:

Tuned= Dyno tuned

As for the foam under the gas tank- you should just leave it alone then...

I agree... if someone is skeptical of the benefits or worried about some negative impact of removing the foam then leave it.

2WDW wouldn't just say to remove it for fun.... he/they tune bikes and notice a performance increase.  

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

6 hours ago, brewhaha said:

I wish... The FJ-09 and FZ-09 share same airbox part numbers... Hordpower is located bout 6hrs from me, it's tempting... I would still use an aftermarket exhaust with the Hordpower airbox vs stock exhaust...I'm sure it could be done- he would need a bike, some exhaust brands and some $ to get started- maybe we(the forum) can get the ball rolling by rasing the money... and we would need to figure out how to support the ECU as it's "home" is on top of the stock airbox..

22 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Why leave the small area of foam over the AB snorkel if it truly provides 4~ 5 HP unless this will not be realized without  a custom ECU map generated with a dyno 

Is not 2WDW's standard ECU flash based on his extensive dyno work, and will it not provide this gain?

Realistically it's probably only 2-3hp if this test was done across multiple different dynos- some dynos are a bit generous, others are a bit low... At 2wdw it showed approx 4-5hp in the mid-range was missing when compared to the FZ-09 Dyno graphs...

You really do not need a reflashed ECU to remove the foam in my opinion... No scientifically conducted test was done that was worth of a publication in some science journal... It's was simply an observation by 2wdw from comparison...(the same engine, airbox and exhaust are used for the FZ/FJ-09 bikes)... IIRC they noticed the FZ-09 does not have the piece of foam over the airbox intake- so they removed it and re-ran the Dyno test and got near identical Dyno graphs...

• Premium Member

Thanks.  Don't plan on removing the tank anytime soon because I recently did my 25,000 mile major service including having to re-shim the valve lash on EVERY valve (all were very tight and what a PITA on a triple, more so than a IL4), I also played with the APS adjustment but I'm fairly happy with the ECU flash.   I will try the under-tank foam delete next time I have the tank off.

20190104_032855.jpg

20190104_032835.jpg

Archived