Removing Your FJ-09 ECU!

https://2wheeldynoworks.com/2016/05/09/fj-09-ecu-removal/

Step 1: Remove both seats from the motorcycle.
Step 2: Remove the top 2 bolts with a 4mm allen
Step 3: Remove these four, quarter-turn 4mm allen bolts, and then remove the front upper tank shroud.
Step 4: There are three 4mm allen bolts to remove in order to take the side panels off – 2 from the front, and one at the rear. The top half has a rubber grommet, and the lower slides up and away.
Step 5: To remove the upper side tank covers, and the inner mid fairing, there are four 4mm allen bolts and one plastic Phillips push pin. The fourth Allen bolt(not pictured) is black, and at the front, upper point on the plastic.
Step 6: The carbon tank side trim pieces have a slide over grommet in the front, and one 4mm allen bolt at the rear. There is a velcro square in the middle, pull out slightly, then slide panel towards rear of bike to clear the tab on the tank side.
Step 7: Remove one 4mm allen from each side of the tank, and the two 4mm allens on the rear tank hold down bracket. If you pull these instead of the 10mm head bolts, it gives you a little more to hold on to for the next step…
Step 8: It’s easiest to get a helping hand, and have someone lift the tank upwards and towards the left side of the bike. The ECU unplugs and slides out the right side, off the top of the airbox. While your friend is holding the tank up, cleanly remove the foam pad stuck to the bottom of the fuel tank, to free up a few extra horsepower! Be cautious to make sure there is no residue or leftover foam to fall into your airbox.

img_0389.jpg

img_0390.jpg

img_0391.jpg

img_0393.jpg

img_0394.jpg
img_0395.jpg
img_0396.jpg
img_0397.jpg
img_0398.jpg
img_0399.jpg
img_0401.jpg
img_0402.jpg
img_0403.jpg
img_0405.jpg
img_0406.jpg
img_0408.jpg
img_0409.jpg
img_0410.jpg
img_0415.jpg

• 2 years later...
Thanks @2wheeldynoworks, this was very clear and helpful.

Anyone who has removed the foam from under the tank... do you just remove the front piece of foam pictured or all of the foam under the tank?

Edit: If you are a perfectionist, as I am, be prepared to spend a good bit of time removing residue under the tank...

'15 FJ-09 w/ lots of extras...

Fayetteville, GA, USA

• Premium Member
Thanks @2wheeldynoworks, this was very clear and helpful. 
Anyone who has removed the foam from under the tank... do you just remove the front piece of foam pictured or all of the foam under the tank?

Edit: If you are a perfectionist, as I am, be prepared to spend a good bit of time removing residue under the tank...
I only removed the front piece. Didn't see any reason to remove more.

Yep that was me in March, a plastic knife, wd 40 and a hair dryer,  took a long time because i had to remove it all including the glue.

• Supporting Member
Thanks @2wheeldynoworks , this was very clear and helpful. 
Any idea what rpm to expect the few extra hp when you remove the foam?  If its only top end, its not worth my time, but if its anywhere between 4,000 and 7,000 rpm then I am all for it. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
Thanks for the input. If its nothing that noticeable, I'm not going to go through the trouble then.

Thanks for the input. If its nothing that noticeable, I'm not going to go through the trouble then.
I wouldn't pull the tank just to perform the procedure, but since the tank was off and @2wheeldynoworks suggested it; I went for it.

Fayetteville, GA, USA

Pulling the foam netted an extra 4-5hp and provided better/smoother AFR numbers... All the foam does is muffle the intake/top end noises at the cost of performance...
2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

• Supporting Member
Pulling the foam netted an extra 4-5hp and provided better/smoother AFR numbers... All the foam does is muffle the intake/top end noises at the cost of performance...
What rpm range did the dyno chart show the increase?  If its in the mid-range then it would be worth my time to remove the tank. 

What rpm range did the dyno chart show the increase?  If its in the mid-range then it would be worth my time to remove the tank.
If im recalling correctly its mid range and up...this is the first posting I recall reading about the foam https://fj-09.org/thread/1189/fj-09-flash-ready-updated?page=3 ...I just yanked the whole sucka out... If 2WDW noticed smoother AFR values. After the foam was pulled that should translate into a smoother power delivery feeling is how I interpret that...

2012 wr250f - C-class 30+ age group
2015 fz-07- Hordpower Edition-80whp
2015 fj-09- Graves Exhaust w/Woolich tune by 2WDW @120whp

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Premium Member
On 6/5/2017 at 10:18 PM, norcal616 said:

I'm not so sure sound damping is this foam's only function.

This foam likely also provides insulation from engine heat, a possibly significant benefit during hot weather riding in traffic and at sustained high speeds.

Has the stated 4 ~ 5 HP been documented by before and after dyno testing under comparable temperature and barometric pressure?

It just seems unrealistic "that in this day and age" Yamaha would not have minimized noise emissions without sacraficing such easily maintained HP

Any # / Ft of torque also associated with the easy mod?

Inquiring minds need to know

I dont think that area of the tank would be subject to very much engine heat.. I ripped that foam off based on the recommendations from this thread over 2 years ago and have had no issues.  Induction noise is definitely louder. Hard to say about the HP but I like the noise.

Fayetteville, GA, USA

Archived