Thinking I'm going to move on from the tracer.

So I bought a 19 non gt this spring hoping it would be a perfect do it all bike but the passenger peg location makes riding two up difficult. I already tried the knight lower front pegs but there's still not enough room between the two. Any ideas before I move on?

I'd say you'll likely never turn this bike into a comfy two up bike, regardless of how many mods you make. You're probably better off focusing on what you want in a two up bike, then chase down the models that fit your needs. 

• Thumbsup 5

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current

• Supporting Member
9 minutes ago, maximo said:

I'd say you'll likely never turn this bike into a comfy two up bike, regardless of how many mods you make. You're probably better off focusing on what you want in a two up bike, then chase down the models that fit your needs. 

Agreed, there are compromises made with the Tracer that will never make it a primary two-up machine.

The new Tracer 9 revision gets more payload capacity and a little bit more leg room for the passenger the expense of the driver.

But ultimately if 2up riding is your priority there are longer and heavier bikes that'll do the job with comfort to spare.

• Thumbsup 3

I'll have to try out a vstrom and a versys 1000 but I think I'll have to go back to having 2 bikes. 2up is not a priority but I'd like to do the occasional long weekend

Edited by Codyc123
  • Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
3 hours ago, Codyc123 said:

I'll have to try out a vstrom and a versys 1000 but I think I'll have to go back to having 2 bikes. 2up is not a priority but I'd like to do the occasional long weekend

If you don’t mind a little more weight, the Versys 1000 is a great bike.

The Tracer is a bit cramped for long hauls 2 up but is perfect for long solo trips.  

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

22 minutes ago, betoney said:

If you don’t mind a little more weight, the Versys 1000 is a great bike.

The Tracer is a bit cramped for long hauls 2 up but is perfect for long solo trips.  

Yea I love the bike but having my heels catch on the passenger's feet really doesn't work. What was your overall impression of the versys?

In the last month I've test ridden two BMW S100 XRs and sat on a Suzuki GSX S1000GT+ (No demo ride allowed).

The GSX had less leg room than my FJ and my knees felt cramped very quickly. Seat is not adjustable, nor is windshield.

The XRs were roomy, powerful and quite refined compared to the FJ.

Not sure which is best for 2-up, but the XR has moved to the top of my list as an FJ replacement. Unfortunately they are quite pricy even pre-owned.  2021 with 6k miles was $17k minus $5k trade for FJ.  A lot of dough for a used Bike. Ouch!

So I'm looking at Versus 100 and Vstrom 1000 next.

Edited by nhchris
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

• Supporting Member
8 hours ago, Codyc123 said:

What was your overall impression of the versys?

I test rode it a few times, (It was the only bike I test rode more than once) It is larger in every dimension than the Tracer, longer, wider, taller and heavier, which I don't personally mind.  It reminds me a lot of my VFR1200X, larger, very comfortable, smooth with surprisingly light and neutral handling for a larger bike.  I really liked it.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• 2 weeks later...

I just moved from my 2015 FJ-09 to a 2017 Africa Twin for the exact same reasons, and I must say, the AT is much, much better 2-up and I am happy with my choice. I don't think you would regret swapping bikes to something a bit larger/heavier for 2-up riding. 

While I thought it might be possible to make the FJ tolerable 2-up, the amount of money spent to get it there would not be with it (to me). The stock suspension and size of the bike make it much less suited to multi-day trips 2-up. I have met a couple of other riders who ride 2-up long distance on the FJ/Tracer, but it is not for me. Also, I feel the engine character is a little too exciting/exhilarating/nervous for relaxed touring, whereas the AT feels comfortable cruising around at a more relaxed pace. Even though the CP3 engine is awesome, I have found that I like 2 cylinder or 4 cylinder engines better for 2-up riding. 

I was also considering the Versys 1000LT and Vstrom 1000, and I think they would have been good choices as well if I didn't find the Africa Twin. 

Good luck with whatever decision you make!

• Thumbsup 3

7 hours ago, Magnum099 said:

I just moved from my 2015 FJ-09 to a 2017 Africa Twin for the exact same reasons, and I must say, the AT is much, much better 2-up and I am happy with my choice. I don't think you would regret swapping bikes to something a bit larger/heavier for 2-up riding. 

While I thought it might be possible to make the FJ tolerable 2-up, the amount of money spent to get it there would not be with it (to me). The stock suspension and size of the bike make it much less suited to multi-day trips 2-up. I have met a couple of other riders who ride 2-up long distance on the FJ/Tracer, but it is not for me. Also, I feel the engine character is a little too exciting/exhilarating/nervous for relaxed touring, whereas the AT feels comfortable cruising around at a more relaxed pace. Even though the CP3 engine is awesome, I have found that I like 2 cylinder or 4 cylinder engines better for 2-up riding. 

I was also considering the Versys 1000LT and Vstrom 1000, and I think they would have been good choices as well if I didn't find the Africa Twin. 

Good luck with whatever decision you make!

Many of us see what we want to see in a different bike. Then fall prey to the "I can make it work" by spending $$$ on mods. Our individual circumstances and priorities affect what we can afford vs the usual what we're willing to pay. Decent 2-up bikes will be bigger and heavier. Then ?? where do we pack all our stuff? Saddle bags, hard bags/trunk, strap on duffle? We chase our tails because we bought the wrong bike to begin with. 

• Thumbsup 1

Holdover thinking, maybe, from the 70's when the manufacturers built general purpose motorcycles which then were adapted by the owners.  That was the age of the Universal Japanese Motorcycle.  That bike could go several different directions, depending.  

Nowadays it is about specialization.  However, I personally consider the 21 Tracer to be a modern version of the UJM.  It "can" be adapted to various uses.  Including two-up riding, assuming the passengers are lighter weight than average.  It isn't as good at two-up touring as a Goldwing, but it's pretty good.  And a lot cheaper.  And faster, and more fun to ride twisties.  Most important to many of us nearer the end than the beginning, it is much lighter.

• Thumbsup 4

I dont think its hoidover thinking. All bikes are made for "average" riders. Trouble is  one 5'10" guy can have a 28" inseam while another can have a 31" inseam. Totally different riding position requirements. Foot peg position being a significant one. The  best bikes for me have been a K75 and R100RT BMW, a KLR650, and a DL650 VStrom. The absolute worst is a F800GT BMW.  That was torture to rode locally or on a 5000 mi trip to Hells Canyon. PhotoAl loved his. I likd my 2020 Tracer 909GT, but its not the best tourer. Thats my opinion.

Funny thing a bikes perception. 
Never in a million years would a Tracer have crossed my mind, then I sat on one at a bike shop while I was buying some bits for my Sprint. 
Couldn’t get over how light it was and how it carried its weight, so when I got home I researched it.
Went in with my eyes open knowing that for me suspension, lowering and flashing were all must do jobs. 
I like it a lot now, it’s not perfect, but no bike is. 

Edited by OZVFR
  • Thumbsup 1