Valve Cover Gasket

KrustyKush

I'm checking valves on my 21 9GT.  The manual sez to use Three Bond 1541C on the valve cover gasket.  Seeing that in the manual surprised me, I'm not used to putting much of anything on a valve cover gasket.  Anyways, those who've done this job, did you actually use that exact Three Bond?  Or another equivalent, and if so, which one?

FYI, this work is mainly to replace spark plugs at the 12k interval.  I decided to go ahead and do an early check of the valve clearances, since most of the disassembly was already done, and I know from experience to do the first valve check early.  Good thing I did... all the valves appear to be well within tolerance... except one stinking exhaust valve, which has a clearance around .25mm, the minimum being .28.  So at 12k I need to pull the exhaust cam and deal with one shim.  I could probably leave it as it is for the rest of the valve interval, 14k miles, but knowing it was tight and probably getting tighter would bug me on the ride.

• Thumbsup 3
  • Haha 1

I would double check the book- all the first Gen engines say to use -No- sealant in the 1/2 moon area of the gasket. However the 1541C may be specified to adhere the gasket to the valve cover not the gasket to the cylinder head, if that makes sense. 

I have not had the Euro 5 engine apart for a clearance check however….

-Skip

Edited by skipperT

Saw the same. Note when Chen putting my Tracer 900GT back together.  My interpretation is it is something sticky to hold the gasket to the cover while installing it.  I used spray stickie stuff which I sprayed on the top of the gasket and let dry for a few minutes and then put the gasket in place.  Think it was a 3M product.  Did the job and no problems, bottom of gasket went in with nothing on it.

• Thumbsup 2
  • Thanks 1