Timing Chain Tensioner Bad?

Decided to start a new topic although timing chain tensioners have been discussed in other threads.

2020 Tracer 900 GT with 26,500 miles.  Valves checked at 19,000 miles and exhaust valves adjusted.  Just returned from a 6,500 mile trip.  One morning on the way back I noticed a louder than normal valve tick but was just loafing along and it soon cleared up.  The gronk reared its ugly head on the trip as well.  

Today washed the bike thoroughly and afterwards cranked it up and let it idle.  It was on the side stand.  After 3 or 4 minutes I walked around and twisted the throttle a couple of time giving it a gently blip.  Then I twisted it harder and blipped it to maybe 6,500 rpm.  Suddenly it was making a loud valve/knocking sound.  It dropped off at idle but if I gently rev'd it it was there!  Shut it off and rolled it inside and pondered what had happened.  After it cooled off I pulled the timing chain tensioner, it seemed OK but hard to say.  As I pulled it out I could hear it clicking as it extended.  I lubed it with assembly lube and exercised it a few times.  I could retract it using an allen wrench and then hold it with my hand and slowly release it and it would go click click click as it extended.  Put it back in and cranked the bike and it ran quietly even after I blipped the throttle several times.  Appears to me that the timing chain tensioner is gimpy so going to order a new OEM tensioner.  Will probably order a new clutch housing to fix the gronk while I'm busy spending money!

I have wondered if there could be a valve adjustment problem but when the noise is inconsistent and the engine has run well for the last 6,500 miles with no issues then I don't think so.

What do you folks think?  I could hold the tensioner compressed with my hand - it took some effort and was hard to let out smoothly but I could.  Seems like it wasn't super smooth as it clicked off the steps.

Sounds like it was just binding a bit, and by removing and resetting the tensioner you’ve cured it for the moment. 
The gasket has to be installed with the tab inward, just as a heads up. 
Another possibility would be cold, thick oil, or possibly if the oil level is just a tad low, and the circumstances were right (higher rpm with cold oil and level is a tad low) the tensioner may have also had a decrease in lubrication?

Grasping at straws here, but could possible be a combination of things that all lined up just right. 

If you’re concerned, install a new one. Or wait and see if it re-occurs and go from there.

-Skip

• Thumbsup 1

• 2 months later...

Yamaha and chain tensioners, jeez.  We went through a lot of discussion on FJR's.  I'm new to the Tracer, but it looks like an interesting design.  Will have to get one in my hands one day soon.  What is everyone's feeling on how they "fail"?  At least here I don't see (yet) where anyone's grenaded an engine from a failure, just noise.  Anyone done any forensic analysis of a "failed" one?  Do they just get dirty and need cleaning or something?

Just for interests sake, here is a Versys 1000 one.  It's an automatic adjuster, but once the plunger notches in, it cannot retract without you removing it and pressing a release.  If only it would fit... so it's kinda an automatic/manual adjuster all in one.

CCT V1K 1 (Large).jpg

CCT V1K 2 (Large).jpg

• Premium Member
41 minutes ago, RaYzerman said:

Yamaha and chain tensioners, jeez.  We went through a lot of discussion on FJR's.  I'm new to the Tracer, but it looks like an interesting design.  Will have to get one in my hands one day soon.  What is everyone's feeling on how they "fail"?  At least here I don't see (yet) where anyone's grenaded an engine from a failure, just noise.  Anyone done any forensic analysis of a "failed" one?  Do they just get dirty and need cleaning or something?

Just for interests sake, here is a Versys 1000 one.  It's an automatic adjuster, but once the plunger notches in, it cannot retract without you removing it and pressing a release.  If only it would fit... so it's kinda an automatic/manual adjuster all in one.

CCT V1K 1 (Large).jpg

CCT V1K 2 (Large).jpg

Honda for many years used a similar tensioner and it still failed...

Over the years have seen a few timing chain tensioners.  First must report my CP3 is running nicely with the new tensioner in and no issues.  It is still my opinion that the tensioners do not receive much lubrication and after sitting in the same position for a while fail to advance to the next one.  The FZ6 I had seemed to want a new tensioner every 10 or 12 thousand miles.  I could pull the old one out, lube and exercise it and it would work fine for a while.  My CBR600RR made it maybe 10,000 miles or more but I did replace it one time - bike had 18,000 miles on it when traded.  My ZX6R 636 only had 7,000 miles on it when I traded it but had ordered a new tensioner for it.  I distinctly remember one time it was making more than normal valve noise but after a good spirited ride it was quiet.  Just need to jump to the next step on the tensioner.  My BMW F800GT never replaced the tensioner it always made lots of noise but seemed to run OK.    I would love to put the Yamaha CP3 in the F800GT.  Would be a wonderful bike.