• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 40 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

APE CCT install issue

Forevertwowheels

Hi gents,

I installed an APE CCT on my 2015 FJ09 this weekend.

When I removed the side cover to begin the process, dowel #13 shown in the photo came out with the side cover. It didn’t make any popping noise and went back in fine.  I jammed something between the guide and engine before removing the tensioner but it didn’t seem to need it, the chain was relatively slack.  

All back together and the bike runs fine. Is is possible I skipped a tooth on the cam chain?  I don’t see how I could’ve kept tension on the chain without that dowel as the entire guide pivots on it. Thoughts?

832451BA-27E9-4DBF-B53D-AA02555C9F90.jpeg

20 minutes ago, 2and3cylinders said:

I usually remove the hollow pin and tensioner shoe AFTER double zip tieing the chain to both sprockets and wedging a rag under the lower drive sprocket and chain.

You must check the cam timing on both cams with the valve cover off

That’s what I feared, I have a valve check coming up I’ll do it ASAP. 

• Supporting Member

Hi @Forevertwowheels - When you say ‘the bike runs fine’ do you mean it REALLY runs fine?   As well as before you did the CCT install?  

If you’re off a tooth, it will be noticeable in how the bike runs.  Definitely verify when you have it apart for the valve check, but I’m guessing you’re fine.  

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, texscottyd said:

Hi @Forevertwowheels - When you say ‘the bike runs fine’ do you mean it REALLY runs fine?   As well as before you did the CCT install?  

If you’re off a tooth, it will be noticeable in how the bike runs.  Definitely verify when you have it apart for the valve check, but I’m guessing you’re fine.  

Yeah it really does, that’s what is strange.  The only difference is now I don’t get the intermittent death rattle from the cam chain. I figure theres no way to be off a tooth and have it run this well. 

my favorite past time is worrying about my machines so that’s something 😃

I’ll update with finding when I check timing. 

• Thumbsup 1

9 hours ago, texscottyd said:

Agreed. One tooth off is very noticeable on any engine.

And if a cam chain skips while you're working on an engine, it makes a very noticeable, definite sort of "ka-pwing" noise.

Edited by bwringer
  • Thumbsup 1

I seriously doubt you skipped a tooth if as you say the bike is running "fine". With that said when you do your valve adjust it is a simple thing to check.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

Everything is simple, Nothing is easy