Renting in Austin, TX

kilo3

Due to a series of bad luck, I'll be spending two weeks in Austin for work, which means I have a full weekend of Oct 1-2 of free will away from the family. Anyone know of a reputable place to rent a motorcycle down there, heck even a scooter will suffice for transport.  I don't want to uber around all weekend.

• Supporting Member

Austin isn't a bad place to be stuck for a couple of weeks...   just be glad you're not needing to rent an apartment.  The cost of living there has gone 'non-linear' over the last few years.

AF1 is my favorite dealership in Austin, but i don't believe they offer any sort of rentals.  There is really good riding to the west, so get out of the city if you can. 

• Thumbsup 1

P2P renting is where it's at.

Twisted Road was mentioned above, and https://www.riders-share.com is another.

Ooh, a Taotao Pony for $28/day...

https://www.riders-share.com/listing/jB9NhaEEjZW7q7bja

"Meet Jennifer Slowpez..." 😄

A friend of mine used one of these services a while back in Austin and it went great.

I have a friend who keeps a user-friendly cruiser he doesn't have any emotional connection with and rents it out on both platforms near Chicago. He does pretty well; it's one of the top rentals in the area. When some numpty totaled it (said numpty was OK), he got a decent amount from the insurance and bought another.

• Supporting Member
4 minutes ago, bwringer said:

I have a friend who keeps a user-friendly cruiser he doesn't have any emotional connection with and rents it out on both platforms…

That’s 100% the way to make it work for you.  Is it actually a profit-generating business for your friend?  

I’m way too emotionally invested in my personal vehicles to be able to turn them loose with someone else.  But if I had one that was just an appliance to me, this could work.  

• Supporting Member
7 hours ago, kilo3 said:

How's crime in north Austin? I'm debating renting for a single day. The idea of leaving a bike outside a hotel is worrying. In MN, that bike would be gone within 2 hours.

How far north?  Unfortunately, I think it’s a risk anywhere these days… ☹️

On 9/13/2022 at 12:51 AM, texscottyd said:

How far north?  Unfortunately, I think it’s a risk anywhere these days… ☹️

Balconies woods, something like that. I might just can the whole idea, it's becoming a logistical isse with pickup and whatnot, then I have to tote my helmet and gear which I forgot about with 2 weeks of work and dress clothes ehhh.

On 9/12/2022 at 4:50 PM, texscottyd said:

That’s 100% the way to make it work for you.  Is it actually a profit-generating business for your friend?  

I’m way too emotionally invested in my personal vehicles to be able to turn them loose with someone else.  But if I had one that was just an appliance to me, this could work.  

Yes, it turned a profit; nothing life-altering, but it brought in a nice little flow of cash to help support the motorcycles he does care about.