oil change but no oil filter replacement

theNatural

it's been 5k miles since the last oil change, and i was anticipating replacing the oil filter until i saw that the filter(purolator pl14612) is good up to 10k miles, so there's not point in replacement at this point.

so my question is whether i should remove the filter and let it drain for a few hours before i replace the oil? or should i just leave it on and then add the required oil minus what's in the filter?

For 10 bucks, I'd just replace it.
Keep in mind that 10k miles is probably based upon car/truck use, not applications with a shared transmission fluid.

If you want to go that route, just drain it and fill it up based on the oil sight, you can always add more if your low, messier to go the other way.

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member

More frequent oil changes and filter changes can only benefit the bike unless you're making some sort of huge human error while doing it. My two cents is that oil filters for these bikes are so cheap that why not just change it every time you change the oil for peace of mind?

That being said it's not required if you're trying to pinch pennies, or have the oil but didn't order the filter and don't want to wait. It won't hurt anything to change the filter every other oil change per the manual.

• Thumbsup 1

Some years ago, I read an analyse of a french laboratory that, after analyses, conclude that new oil with additives that they contain, are diluting and washing all the impurities contained in the filter and pollute the oil.

Conclusion is when you change oil, it is highly recommanded to change also the filter.

A Hiflo 204 filter that fits the Tracer costs 7.5 euros ( about the same in dollars), and for that price it would be a pity not to change it (considering that sometime we change oil at low milage because of the time rather than the number of miles, that means oil could contain more humidity rather then metal dust)

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
4 hours ago, theNatural said:

it's been 5k miles since the last oil change, and i was anticipating replacing the oil filter until i saw that the filter(purolator pl14612) is good up to 10k miles, so there's not point in replacement at this point.

That’s like taking a shower and then putting on week old dirty socks and underwear. You could do it, but why?  🤷‍♂️
As mentioned already, the Hiflo 204 filter is only $8, I buy them in bulk. 

• Thumbsup 4
  • Haha 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Probably a good idea to change the filter.  US oil change interval is 4,000 miles and England is 6,000 miles.  Manual say change filter every other oil change but I always change the filter.  I order 3 filters at a time from PartZilla so I'll have one on hand.  LOL of course I had run out so grabbed a K&N from Cycle Gear.  Not a fan of K&N but they make a descent filter and a descent filter is better than re-using a filter.  

EDIT: just after I posted this my 3 filters from Partzilla showed up.

Edited by PhotoAl
  • Thumbsup 2

7 hours ago, kilo3 said:

For 10 bucks, I'd just replace it.
Keep in mind that 10k miles is probably based upon car/truck use, not applications with a shared transmission fluid.

If you want to go that route, just drain it and fill it up based on the oil sight, you can always add more if your low, messier to go the other way.

times are tight but i'll replace the filter too just in case

• Thumbsup 1

I am a lazy bum but I  replace the filter on my FJ every oil change.

IT'S THE EASIEST to access filter I've ever had on a bike with a center stand.

Don't cheap out.  You'll hate yourself in the morning!!

• Thumbsup 1
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

The cold hard truth is that in any reasonably modern engine the oil filter has very, very little to do.

Changing the filter every other oil change is fine, and that is indeed what the manual calls for on this and many other machines.

However, I've never been able to bring myself to do this. It's irrational and I fully realize this.

But I do feel better with a fresh filter every oil change.

• Thumbsup 4

• 2 weeks later...

I cut my filters open with a hacksaw.  I place the filter opening down, clamped in a vise, and start cutting about 3/8" up from the bottom of the filter, spinning the filter around as I saw.

The paper element has always been very clean, almost zero contaminants.  There's no reason I've seen to change it more often than the service manual recommends (every other oil change).

FWIW, I changed the hydrostatic transmission filter on my cub cadet riding lawn mower for the first time in 26 years, and after 400 operating hours. I was bracing for the worst.  What I found after I cut it open is in the attached picture - oily paper pleats.  No debris.  Nothing disintegrating.  New WIX filter installed, next service May '48.

Screenshot_20220928_210514.jpg

• Thumbsup 2

Truth be told, changing it more often then recommended isn't going to hurt anything other than your wallet. If it makes you feel good do it.. but your not going to void the warranty following the recommended service interval. Just go with the Yamaha filter is my recommendation.

If your loading up your filter and need to change it after every change you have more problems going on in your engine. There should be very little if anything in the filter that would clog up the filter. Even if you burned your clutch to dust there most likely isn't enough to clog the filter.

A slightly dirty filter, filters better than a clean one.

These engines run clean (esp the Euro 5 ones) that there is no reason to change it every oil change. the amount of dirty oil left over is only a small percentage of new.

Just change the oil and filter at the recommended intervals that the engineers at Yamaha wrote up. They know these engines; and spend more time worrying about planning the next motorcycle trip.

• Thumbsup 2