Question: How do valves tighten over time?

Mine is a 2020 Tracer 900 GT that had all the valves too tight at 19,000 miles.  Bike has not be blipped or ridden hard when cold, as I stated earlier it has been ridden fairly easily with not many trips to the upper end of the rev range.  Always use good oil.   So no IMO not something that is limited to the early model years - I put 18,000 miles on mine in the first year.  Now at 26,000 miles.

My FZ6 didn't need any adjustments at 26,000 miles.  My CBR600RR needed a couple of valve shims changed but was much better at 16,000 miles or whatever the recommended interval was.  I commuted on that bike and would hit the redline probably every other day or so.

I'm hoping it is a factor error in setting the valves or valve seats.  It is disturbing to think how much mine moved.  Love my bike and plan on keeping it for a while but Yamaha defiantly has some quality/cost issues.  Chain and sprockets replaced at 11,000 miles, valves out of spec at 19,000 miles, loser bolts on front brake calipers corroded (replaced with titanium), timing chain tensioner seems gimpy at 26,000 miles, loud whine from bike when riding.  All issues which others have reported.

Not a hate on Yamaha!  Love the bike, wonderful for long distance trips and Sunday sporty rides in the curves.  Triple is smooth and powerful (some throttle jerkiness) and I love riding it and there is not a similar bike out there.  Alternatives are bigger or weaker.

• Thumbsup 2

Most of my Exhaust clearances where .10 , .12 at 20k. Don't wait for 26K. In a word. BAD.

Everything is simple, Nothing is easy

10 hours ago, enx said:

My trustworthy mechanic said that is no need to check them until 80.000km. He checked a few cp3 engines at 40.000km and none of them needed adjustment.

209217124_1031475281112200_2124779190832644853_n.thumb.jpg.2206baf788fccea6d1dd0558b930e291.jpg

I’d find a new mechanic.

Sorry, but I’ve checked more of these motors than I can count and the exhaust clearances are ALWAYS tight. 

-Skip

• Thumbsup 2

10 hours ago, skipperT said:

I’d find a new mechanic.

never

Now I have a little less than 80.000km. Everything works ok. I'm not planning to check them for the next 40.000km.

3 hours ago, peteinpa said:

I just found out MT-10 bikes are grenading with regularity.

I'm starting to question Yamaha quality.☹️😡

Interesting. I personally feel Yamaha quality is still one off the best out there. However when designing and producing high performance machines, things do happen. 

14 hours ago, enx said:

never

Now I have a little less than 80.000km. Everything works ok. I'm not planning to check them for the next 40.000km.

Remember that you cannot “hear” tight valves. I sincerely hope that everything works out for you and you don’t have any issues. 

-Skip

Every motor with under bucket shim adjustment on overhead cams will tighten with use.

I also think 40,000km is too long on any brand no matter what the manual says.

I had the same problem when I took the Mitsubishi Triton for adjustment, the mechanic said he checked by sound and they were all ok. Obviously has no experience with shim under bucket.

Edited by OZVFR
  • Thumbsup 1