RMP to Mph

Just picked up my 2022 Tracer 9gt. I have a few questions. It seems this bike needs another gear.. I'm in 6th gear at 4,000 RPM @ 60 mph. The engine seems like it's screaming. My old bike a Honda 2013 NC  700 is handling 70-71 mph at 4,000 rmp.  I find it hard to believe this bike can easily reach even 100 mph. All my setting are to thier lowest, most powerful settings, everything is set to 1. Is this just the way this bike is? I typically ride at 70-75 mph everyday on my Honda at 4-4500 RPM and it's a 700 from 2013.  The Tracer is running 5-5300 RPM. I am a little disappointed after buying this bike wanting more top end, and now have a monthly payment to a bike that "seems" to be struggling to go 70. 

Is this just the sound of the bike? I love the look of the bike and it's got glowing reviews.. Is this normal? Thanks

• Supporting Member
5 minutes ago, TREX said:

Just picked up my 2022 Tracer 9gt. I have a few questions. It seems this bike needs another gear.. I'm in 6th gear at 4,000 RPM @ 60 mph. The engine seems like it's screaming. My old bike a Honda 2013 NC  700 is handling 70-71 mph at 4,000 rmp.  I find it hard to believe this bike can easily reach even 100 mph. All my setting are to thier lowest, most powerful settings, everything is set to 1. Is this just the way this bike is? I typically ride at 70-75 mph everyday on my Honda at 4-4500 RPM and it's a 700 from 2013.  The Tracer is running 5-5300 RPM. I am a little disappointed after buying this bike wanting more top end, and now have a monthly payment to a bike that "seems" to be struggling to go 70. 

Is this just the sound of the bike? I love the look of the bike and it's got glowing reviews.. Is this normal? Thanks

Keep twisting your wrist, it capable of revving to over 10,000 rpm and will easily reach 100mph in 3rd gear, at only 5,000 rpm its not struggling in any way. 

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Redline is just over 11k RPM. With some rounding, the stock gear ratios are about as follows

Gear  MPH/1000RPM
6     15
5     13
4     11.5
3     10
2       8
1       6

so you can get 100 MPH in 3rd gear at about 10k RPM. Or 100 MPH in 6th gear at about 6700 RPM.

In 6th gear, 60 MPH would be ~60/15=4000 RPM.

I don't think I've ever been at 100 MPH in 3rd, but certainly 4th, 5th and 6th.

This engine can run at 7000 rpm all day long and not break a sweat.  You can set the cruise control at 90 mph and ride until you run out of gas and the engine will not suffer one bit.  This engine is designed to run at a higher rpm than your previous bike.  Look at it as a percentage of the total rpm available (redline).

• Thumbsup 3

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

On 9/19/2022 at 8:14 PM, TREX said:

I had an NC700X for a while as well. That motor is like no other, and nothing you are used to beside being on two wheels will translate to the Tracer. 

Its loafing along at 6,200 rpm, that spot where the limiter on the NC kicks in and kills your fun, will start to really pull around 7,500 and flies to it’s redline where it’s a damn rocket. It’ll do 100mph so easily you’ll be scared once you realize it and you’ll need a pile of new underwear until you get used to it. It’s not a liter sportbike but it’s a quick revving hooligan of a sport tourer. 

Seriously, let it spin, and you’ll enjoy it. 

Edited by miweber929
Spelling
  • Thumbsup 2
  • Haha 1

• Supporting Member

Hi @TREX- Welcome, and I hope you enjoy the new Tracer!  

These triples make nice linear power across the rpm range, but they really do like to rev & come alive at higher rpm. I personally feel like 4,000 rpm is at the very bottom of the ‘fun range’ for this motor.   Let it rev, and ignore the tachometer for awhile… it’s smooth and will run all day at 6K - 7K (or more) on the highway.   They have the motor to run 125-130 mph with a bit of runway, so you should be fine for any sane freeway use.  

• Thumbsup 1

Let her rip mate. 
The NC redlines at 6500rpm I think. 
The tracer at 10500rpm. Slight difference I think. 
I never change gears under 4000rpm, and will hold gears even in traffic above that. Below 4000 you’re just labouring the motor. 
When I’m in fun mode I let it sit around 6000rpm and will often take it to 9000rpm and above. 

I bought my 2021 back in January this year.  My previous bikes had been Harleys, and though I have owned a couple of "sport-bike-like" bikes, none has had the engine type as in the Tracer.

I had similar reaction as the OP.  Surprised at how furious the motor seems to be running at a steady cruising speed, which for me is usually between 80 and 85 mph.

I got used to it.  What I love the most is roll-on hard at 85 mph, the engine opens its mouth and goes WAAAAAAAH.  It's a beautiful sound.  And there's no lack of power right along with the sound.  Must be those intake trumpets.  Yam did a great job making this motor sound good without annoying everyone else.

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1

Yea it likes some revs.  Previous bikes were a Yamaha FZ6, 2012 CBR600RR, 2014 Kawasaki ZX6R 636 and a 2016 BMW F800GT.  CBR redlined at 15,000 RPM and the Kawasaki at 16,000 RPM and they didn't get to grin mode till 8,000 plus RPM.  LOL getting used to the BMW was a real challenge!  I ran it into the rev limiter so hard it threw me forwards.  I was waiting for the rush of power and it was about to hit the rev limiter!  It wasn't a bad bike but I could never get used to the twin and low revs.  ZX6R made something like 129HP and the BMW 90 and weighed more so duh.  

Tracer does a good job of spitting the difference between the high strung 600s and the lower rev'ing BMW parallel twin.  Has good power and torque everywhere but lacks the high RPM rush of the 600s.  It also is not so easy to stall as they were.  The Tracer does a good job and will happily cruse all day long at any speed that is not go to jai territory.

My Tracer has many many miles at interstate speeds and it has seen a fair amount of interstates with 80MPH speed limits and cruses along without effort.  To me it is an amazingly flexible engine which will pull at low RPM all the way to redline.  CC is great for that small town with the 30 to 35 MPH speed limit.  4th and just putter along.  My 2020 will only go down to 4th and about 30MPH on cruse control.

Well the bike likes to rev wicked high but maybe the rider doesn't.  It just ain't a relaxing way to tour.

I replaced the stock 16-tooth front sprocket with a 17.  Same chain length.  That helped a bit.

75mph = 5,000 rpm

Edited by nhchris
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09