Likely source of oil leak??

Hey all.....'15 FJ with 45k miles

Noticed some oil seeping the last couple of months. Finally last night on a ride, leak was big enough to drip on my exhaust and billowed smoke around my legs. Before I cleaned it up and started searching, thought I would show a pic and see if there is a common spot that leaks in this area.

The right side is completely dry. Is the shaft seal at the small sprocket a known area? Is dry above the sprocket. I parked on cardboard last night and only spot on ground is where oil is working its way down oil pan and dropping off the drain plug. Nothing at oil filter. Doesn't appear to be the pan gasket but I could be wrong. Thoughts?

fj oil leak2.jpg

Edited by Brian
  • Confused 1

• Brian changed the title to Likely source of oil leak??

As mentioned above, your front sprocket is in need of replacement.  It might be a good time to pull the sprocket and investigate for a leaking seal there.  It is recommended that the front and rear sprockets, as well as the chain, should be replaced as a set.

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

• Premium Member

Doesn't have to be an oil leak. I've seen people over oiling their chain make that area look like that.... 

• Thumbsup 5

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

11 hours ago, OZVFR said:

Could be the front sprocket seal.

By the way, that front sprocket is in bad need of replacing.

Yup, yup.

50 minutes ago, fddriver2 said:

Doesn't have to be an oil leak. I've seen people over oiling their chain make that area look like that.... 

Also yup.

Also: you're supposed to replace the sprocket nut; it's a consumable. That one has been re-used at least once or twice, and then the last time was not even properly peened into the notch on the countershaft. Read up on the procedure.

Lastly, if you follow Yamaha's insanely taut recommendation for chain slack, you can cause massive strain on the countershaft, and cause a leak or even bend the nose of the countershaft. Use a fairly loose chain slack when you replace the shagged chain and sprockets with higher-quality items.

In this case, odds are it's just a leaky worn-out seal. They get damaged and wear out from road grit sticking to excess lube, and they all wear out at some point.

The parts are pretty cheap, and this is not an overly complex project.

https://www.onlinecycleparts.com/oemparts/a/yam/546a26ccf87002164cb28020/transmission

I'd order the seal (33 on the diagram), the nut (36), and probably replace the spring washer (35) as well.

In addition, I'd try to replace that "collar" (18) so that the seal rides on a fresh surface. However, I'm not 100% sure it's replaceable from the outside? Anyone done this?

And of course, it's WAY past time for a new chain and sprockets.

• Thumbsup 2

Thanks for excellent info. 

Chain and Sprockets: I DO have new sprockets and chain laying on a shelf. Reviews for the chain, after I bought it, are not that great so was probably not anxious to put it on. I will order the nut, seal and other stuff. And chain tool.

Will pull out my shop manual.....but is the seal just a standard swap, or is there disassembly involved?

Chain Oiling: From your replies, this might be a likely reason that never occurred to me. Last time I oiled used 90 weight gear oil and would not be surprised if i squirted on too much.

• Thumbsup 1

After my last trip of 6,500 miles and no cleaning mine looked somewhat like that except it did not have the wet look. I run a ScottOiler and chain lube  will build up.  Pulled to sprocket cover off and gave it a through cleaning.  Does not appear to be leaking on my bike just residue from oiler plus road grime.

As for the sprocket don't push it.  Mine is long way from that condition but can see it has wear but has been on there 16,000 miles.  My DID X-ring chain has no stiff links.

• Premium Member
On 9/22/2022 at 7:47 PM, OZVFR said:

Could be the front sprocket seal.

By the way, that front sprocket is in bad need of replacing.

And replace the chain, and rear sprocket at the same time, they should be done as a set.....

On 9/23/2022 at 8:46 AM, Brian said:

Thanks for excellent info. 

Chain and Sprockets: I DO have new sprockets and chain laying on a shelf. Reviews for the chain, after I bought it, are not that great so was probably not anxious to put it on. I will order the nut, seal and other stuff. And chain tool.

Will pull out my shop manual.....but is the seal just a standard swap, or is there disassembly involved?

Chain Oiling: From your replies, this might be a likely reason that never occurred to me. Last time I oiled used 90 weight gear oil and would not be surprised if i squirted on too much.

I never use heavy gear oil. Way too messy. As the others said replace the chain and sprockets with a new sprocket nut as well. Once the front is off throughly clean the area to see if there is a leak. I suspect not.  I've been using this stuff for years. Clear and clean.  

https://www.amazon.com/DuPont-Teflon-Chain-Saver-Self-Cleaning-Lubricant/dp/B001B0VDC2?th=1

Everything is simple, Nothing is easy

8 hours ago, 2linby said:

I never use heavy gear oil. Way too messy. As the others said replace the chain and sprockets with a new sprocket nut as well. Once the front is off throughly clean the area to see if there is a leak. I suspect not.  I've been using this stuff for years. Clear and clean.  

https://www.amazon.com/DuPont-Teflon-Chain-Saver-Self-Cleaning-Lubricant/dp/B001B0VDC2?th=1

Did it this weekend. Quite sure the gear oil chain lube job WAS the culprit as was dry around the seal on no leaks after 100 mile ride this morning. Seal looked good enough to leave alone and add the new one to may parts bin. I also got that exact Dupont lube and will use it from now on.

Spot on about the nut not being peened down on the groove.....that nut was barely finger tight when I went to take it off. Just waiting to get stranded somewhere. Now just gotta learn how to do a better master link rivet squish. Ugly....hope it holds.

Was a good time to replace the neutral/shift indicator switch while in there. I lived for years with the #1 and 5 indicators out....far enough apart, but when the N also went away, time to swap.

Thanks all for the help. Much better than the old Bandit 1200 and always sliding out that 4-bank of carbs to mess with.

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

I use 80w90 gear oil. Not messy and my chains “seem” to last longer than using the commercial chain lube. I’ve reused the sprocket Nutt through 5 sprocket changes. Replaced it last time for chits and giggles. I kept the old one for “just in case” times. 

Let’s go Brandon

When I ordered the front sprocket and nut it was shipped via USPS (we loose it faster).  Didn't show up so I contacted Partzilla and they shipped another sprocket and nut.  Well after the 2nd set arrived the 1st set wandered into my mailbox!!!  I paid Partzilla for it and kept it and now I have a spare.  Chain has 15,000 miles on it and is in great shape but will it last thru a 6,000 mile trip?  I may change it before my next long trip.  LOL I still have the OEM chain and the original nut so I'm covered - better watch out the rear sprocket has no spare so it must be about to fail.