Check your schrader valves.

• Supporting Member

Perhaps a minor issue in the scheme of things but I bring it up because before going on any substantial ride I make it a habit to check the bike over.

You know the usual - fuel, oil, brake & coolant levels, indicators, brake lights and of course, tyre pressures.  On removing my rear valve stem cap, air suddenly started leaking at a high rate. Grabbing my trusty schrader valve tool I could tell right away that the valve had somehow managed to work its way to almost the end of its thread and the only thing keeping the air in was the rubber sealed stem cap.

Tightening it back up resolved the issue but got me thinking about those that don't use or have lost their valve caps or the caps aren't air-tight.  Sure, it might just be a slow leak that you'd notice and can fix it (you do carry a schrader valve tool don't you?) or worst case the schrader valve manages to blow out before you notice and you've got a flat in the middle of nowhere where no puncture repair kit can help in that case.

The fact that mine was loose surprised me as I check my tyre pressures very regularly and I could hear the air leaking at this last check.  What I'm suggesting is that it must have unwound itself fairly quickly.

Again, it's a long shot I know but maybe the next time you are putting some air in your tyres you give some thought to giving those schraders a little tweak to satisfy yourself that they are in fact seated firmly.

Anyway FWIW my 2 cents worth contribution.

• Thumbsup 6

An unusual thing to have happen!  This is the first time I've ever heard of this happening, though I have often thought it "could" happen, and why I install the valves nice and snug, and keep caps on the valves.

Good thing we check our tire pressure every few days.

• Thumbsup 1

Hah!  Funny I just checked my stems Saturday as I was topping off the air.  As I was screwing the cap back on air started to seep out.  I grabbed my valve core tool and checked the valve, all was OK.  The problem was the seal in the cap somehow worked loose and exerted enough pressure to release the air when tighten down.

• Thumbsup 1

Were these rubber valve stems like OEM or replacement metal valve stems?

I've seen this and other issues from metal valve stems, never with the plain old ugly OEM-style rubber TR412 valve stems, replaced at every tire change.

• Supporting Member
13 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

I've also discovered cores loosening on both bikes, bicycles and cages.

It happens! 

6 hours ago, bwringer said:

Were these rubber valve stems like OEM or replacement metal valve stems?

I've seen this and other issues from metal valve stems, never with the plain old ugly OEM-style rubber TR412 valve stems, replaced at every tire change.

3 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

My aluminum 85゚ aftermarket after market valve stumps don't leak or not yet any way

Knock on plastic!

These are my aftermarket stems FWIW.  I had them fitted about 10K kms ago when I had my new rubber fitted at the the same time.

Who knows, maybe they were only just loosely fitted back then but enough to seal until very recently.  Ageing/shrinking of the rubber part of the schrader allowing it to loosen maybe??  Only guessing here.

20210207_130507.thumb.jpg.d3fae6535767e064adc0d57e33e07a07.jpg

• Supporting Member
15 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

And I do carry that tool as well, a  digital tire gauge + a Dynaplug kit & their also excellent electric micro air pump.

Check for tread depth, odd wear and damage routinely too.

Yes, all great stuff to have - as do I.  And that's thanks to the tips gleaned from you guys.

Funny you mention odd tread wear as I have the recurring front tyre wear that is much more pronounced on the right-hand side - mentioned in another thread.   Won't be long before I'll be looking for at least a new front tyre.  New tyre thread anyone?! 😉

• Supporting Member
24 minutes ago, 2and3cylinders said:

What are you running now and how do you like it other than the odd ware

I've been running Road 5s which I have been very happy with but wondering whether to try the T32s that seem to get a good rap here.  Think you have T32s currently??

Oh-oh, here we go, tyre thread!