Looking at a used FJ-09/Tracer 900

I just sold my monster and am looking at getting something a little better for commuting. Of note,  I also have a Multistrada 1200S which is going nowhere. I'm looking for something a little smaller for city commuting and putting around. The MTS is a little big for me for that but is amazing out of town (I'm 5'7"). I read the differences between the two. Has anyone upgraded from the fj-09 to a tracer 900 and can chime on real life differences? Also considering a used 2015/16 hyperstrada and maybe splurge for a new Tiger 660 sport. Thanks for any feedback!

• Premium Member

Consensus on the FJ09 is that it was a Multistrada on a budget. I don't know that you will be getting anything unique having a Multi and FJ or Tracer. The FJ is cheaper than the Multi in both the value and quality senses of the word, I think. 

Thanks for the response. I understand they are somewhat similar. It seems that the FJ-09 is a smidgen smaller than the Tracer 900(?) with a shorter wheelbase, so maybe the better choice given that I will keep the MTS. This is why I am also considering other bikes that are a little smaller like the Hyperstrada, MT 07/09/Triumph trident/Tiger sport. 

As I was reading was thinking that the MT 07 might be a good choice.  The Triumph 660 is a nice bike and a bit smaller.  I've only had a Tracer 900 GT which is a great bike and quite reliable.  From the early FJ09 to the 2020 Tracer think there were two times where the swingarm was lengthened.  The earlier FJ09s are short wheelbase and will loft the front wheel very willingly but are prone to a high speed wobble.  The Tracer 900 with the long swingarm will still lift the front wheel easily but not quite the hooligan bike the FJ09 is.  They are both fun bikes and quite reliable and parts are usually readily available although the supply chain issues have hit everyone.

• Premium Member
On 9/28/2022 at 3:45 PM, PhotoAl said:

As I was reading was thinking that the MT 07 might be a good choice.  The Triumph 660 is a nice bike and a bit smaller.  I've only had a Tracer 900 GT which is a great bike and quite reliable.  From the early FJ09 to the 2020 Tracer think there were two times where the swing arm was lengthened.  The earlier FJ09s are short wheelbase and will loft the front wheel very willingly but are prone to a high speed wobble.  The Tracer 900 with the long swing arm will still lift the front wheel easily but not quite the hooligan bike the FJ09 is.  They are both fun bikes and quite reliable and parts are usually readily available although the supply chain issues have hit everyone.

I had the FJ-09, and then upgraded to the Tracer 900GT. I miss the hooligan nature of the FJ-09, popping wheelies was a blast, and that bike just loved to go fast. I'm not disappointed with the Tracer 900 GT, but it doesn't do wheelies well due to the fact they extended the swing arm quite a bit. It is much more refined, with many standard features that aren't on the FJ09. I particularly like the Tracer for Touring, and it is still fun to take off the side bags and go up into the mountains. 

For me, the Tracer is the right bike, but everyone will have a slightly different take on what they want/need. Most of my riding these days is twisty roads within 100 miles of my house, but once or twice a year I plan an epic adventure and hit the road for a few weeks. 

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

While you’re at it demo an Indian FTR.   Very FJ-like and a hoot of a bike with 120 hp and mucho torque.  Big ass V twin power profile, great brakes and comfortable riding position.

Worth a look.

1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09