Engine management light

Johnjo

New 9gt owner advice please.

I ran the engine in 1st gear on the centre stand. I wanted to test a " cobrra " style oiler I'd just fitted. All seemed well.

First ride out and the EML was

lit up. I've run a couple of start stop sequences but the lights still on. Bike runs perfectly btw. 

Will it go off eventually or is it a dealer reset job ? 

Thanks John 

2 hours ago, Johnjo said:

New 9gt owner advice please.

I ran the engine in 1st gear on the centre stand. I wanted to test a " cobrra " style oiler I'd just fitted. All seemed well.

First ride out and the EML was

lit up. I've run a couple of start stop sequences but the lights still on. Bike runs perfectly btw. 

Will it go off eventually or is it a dealer reset job ? 

Thanks John 

Dealer reset, or you can reset it yourself with an OBD2 reader and the appropriate 6p to OBD2 adapter cable. 

-Skip

• Thumbsup 1

Thanks for that Skip,

I think getting a code reader would be the sensible thing to do. I will order one and a yamaha connector.

Probably cost that for a dealer reset.

Again, many thanks.

• Thumbsup 1

Reading other posts on here suggests that the light will go out eventually.

I also read somewhere that you can avoid it happening  by turning off the traction control in the menu, but not tried it myself.

Cheers,

Jon

• Thumbsup 1

Hi Jon,

Thanks for the reply and info.

That makes sense, switching off the TC before running the drive train on the centre stand. When I get the OBD reader and learn how to reset the EMl I will test the theory. Will post back the outcome.

Cheers 

John

It isn't the TCS that causes the EML to go on, it is the ABS which cannot be turned off.  Also you may find that the settings menu may not be functioning as well.

Best to put it on the center stand, keep the engine off and manually rotate the rear wheel to lube the chain.

• Thumbsup 2

29 minutes ago, OldBikers said:

It isn't the TCS that causes the EML to go on, it is the ABS which cannot be turned off.  Also you may find that the settings menu may not be functioning as well.

Best to put it on the center stand, keep the engine off and manually rotate the rear wheel to lube the chain.

Thanks for that OldBikers.

I won't waste my time then with the TC settings. You're right I can't change any of the settings. I hadn't considered that. Just checked, no adjustments possible.

It was a one off running the engine on the centre stand. I had fitted a pressure oiler and wanted to check that the oil dispensing nib was in the correct position.

Cheers

John

• Supporting Member

On ‘15 and ‘16 models you could access a diagnostic mode through the dash. On ‘17 and newer models you clear the codes through the OBD reader, flashing the ECU is NOT used to clear error codes. 

• Thumbsup 3

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

3 hours ago, betoney said:

On ‘15 and ‘16 models you could access a diagnostic mode through the dash. On ‘17 and newer models you clear the codes through the OBD reader, flashing the ECU is NOT used to clear error codes. 

That may be true for those years, however, it may be necessary to reflash the T9GT of 2021 and 2022. According to the Yamaha Service Manager at the dealer.  It isn't just an error code. 

Edited by OldBikers

Just to close this topic, may help someone else with a similar problem.

EML reset using a code reader with 6 pin adaptor lead. All functions back in working order.

I bought a THINKOBD500 from Thinkcar to reset the eml.

One happy bunny 🐰

• Thumbsup 3
  • Like 1

On 10/4/2022 at 2:34 PM, OldBikers said:

That may be true for those years, however, it may be necessary to reflash the T9GT of 2021 and 2022. According to the Yamaha Service Manager at the dealer.  It isn't just an error code. 

There are NO flash files available from Yamaha for new 9GT models related to this discussion. 

-Skip

Edited by skipperT