Yamaha 39L top case discrepancy

CMG707

Just picked up my new 39L top case and in reading through the install instructions, Yamaha has a warning

- Do not use a top case if side cases (saddlebags) are also installed

??

I have seen many bikes with both top cases and saddlebags, so is this just a CYA by Yamaha?

Any info would help

CMG

• Thumbsup 1

I have a SHAD three box set of luggage and never had any issues well maybe a slightly front lightness sensation for the first few miles until you get used to the wee bit of extra weight over the back wheel. I travel quite light and packed for a weeks camping only added 25 kg to the back. definitely think the recommendation from Yamaha is more from the legal department than the test engineers

FILE0580.JPG

• Thumbsup 2

Yup, it's purely a legal department invention.

Ignore with extreme prejudice.

Quite few luggage systems have stickers with dire warnings about exceeding some ridiculous, unrealistic weight limit. I saw one that claimed you would die in a horrible explosion of blood and flame (that may be a paraphrase) if you carried more than 10 kg (22 pounds) in your luggage.

I mean, yes, pay attention and don't carry around your anvil or brick collection, and give yourself time to adjust to the changes in handling when loaded, and don't load up with 100 pounds of birdseed and then try and set a land speed record, and adjust your suspension to match the load, etc. and so on. Have some modicum of sense about what you carry, how much, how fast, etc.

• Thumbsup 2

I guess in 2021 Yamaha stiffened the rear frame to carrymore weight but they still use the pre 2021 stickers on the luggage.

I have noticed that the bike balances to to the rear when on the center stand where all three cases are packed.  My top case is a SHAD SH45 which also has a sturdier mount. 

I have all three and routinely run with them on my 2020 GT.  IMO it is because it is very easy to overload the bike with all three loaded and a pillion.  When traveling I load the side cases and put a 58 liter duffle on the rear seat.  The top case is mostly empty and is used for my rain gear and shoes.  Over the course of a long trip it collects more stuff but is always relatively empty.  Occasionally I will put drinks there if I'm stopping to get some groceries but that is usually when the duffel is not on the bike and the side cases are mostly empty.  Even with the longer swingarm the bike is light in the front and the top case is pretty far back thus why I don't load it much.  When on day trips it is a place to store the helmet and keep the rain jacket and a bottle of water.

• Thumbsup 2

9 hours ago, OldBikers said:

I have noticed that the bike balances to to the rear when on the center stand where all three cases are packed.  My top case is a SHAD SH45 which also has a sturdier mount.

Found that out at a petrol station when loaded for touring. The weight balance shifted when the tank was nearly full, the front of the bike dropped spilling petrol all over the outside of the tank. 

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, HGP61 said:

The weight balance shifted when the tank was nearly full, the front of the bike dropped spilling petrol all over the outside of the tank. 

Well I chuckled at first.... then realized that this was good info to remember. 

I have the Yamaha side cases and run a 50L Givi top box. I always ride solo. I weigh 210. 

Never had a problem in the last year and 10K miles.

Just out of curiosity, I decided to run the bike without the side cases for a bit, and I honestly don't notice a difference. I'm a good rider in the sense that I don't crash, but not good enough to notice that bit of weight dropped off my bike, apparently!

My only precaution is not to, you know, carry around bricks or anything. I grocery shop on my bike all the time. I keep the heavier stuff in the side cases. Same when touring--clothes go up top, roadside emergency kit and anything else with some weight, I try to keep in the side bags. 

• Premium Member

On my 15 I have the Shad SH36 side cases and SH46 top case but usually only run the top case, which normally is loaded fairly well but never noticed a tendency to wheeley, which is odd.

I'm so used to the loaded top case the handling is 2nd nature.   I do have revavled fork cartridges and heavier springs in the front and and a K-Tech Razor R shock, which likely makes a huge difference.

On tour I lighten up the top case but still keep the weight in the side cases reasonable, and have a 40L roll top dry bag for the pillion.

I should really lighten up the load in my top case for standard operating.  I sometimes worry about it being too heavy but in 54,000 miles I've never had an issue.

4 hours ago, Brian said:

Well I chuckled at first.... then realized that this was good info to remember. 

Only happens if you're off the bike and filling petrol while the bike is on the centre stand. I typically don't so that.

Regards, Grumpy Goat | 2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT & 2016 BMW R1200RS

• Premium Member

I have a '15 w Yamaha panniers and 39l top box. I also added a ammo box under the tail for my tool roll and Stop-n-go air compressor. Never had a problem other than front gets light on hard acceleration (duh!) 

It's Yamaha's legal CYA.

• 1 month later...
On 10/13/2022 at 9:58 AM, sirepair said:

I have a '15 w Yamaha panniers and 39l top box. I also added a ammo box under the tail for my tool roll and Stop-n-go air compressor. Never had a problem other than front gets light on hard acceleration (duh!) 

It's Yamaha's legal CYA.

Would you share some pictures of the ammo box under the tail instalation? That's sound enticing to me. Thanks!