Miss Shifts / False Neutrals

• Supporting Member

Went for a ride yesterday and had a couple of miss shifts. When home and after some research I learned about false neutrals and miss shifts. In my situation it was completely down to wearing new boots, (just picked up a pair of Klim Outlander GTX Boots which are as good for hiking as they are for riding). During my research I came across another farkle, the Gear Shift Support, and wonder if anyone has installed one or even if it is necessary on the CP3 motor?

False Neutral

Gear Shift Support install

Gear shift support.jpg

• Thumbsup 1

That looks like a solution to a problem that doesn't exist.

My FJ-09 is one of the best shifting bikes I've owned. No misses or false neutrals.

I'd try adjusting the shifter to accommodate your new boots.

• Thumbsup 6

Ditto to the above, my Tracer GT shifts like butter. Yes you must adjust the shifter linkage depending on boots, it most certainly makes a difference.....and I am a big no on the shifter add on doodad.

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member

So got out again today and as peteinpa and Ride365 said mine shifts like butter too. Seems its more of a problem for non Jap bikes. Yesterday was a combination of new boots and music too loud in the helmet to hear what was going on. Today I made an adjustment to my ankle and all works fine now 🙄

• Thumbsup 4

The problem with adjusting the linkage on the 21 9GT is the quick shift switch.  The spec length of the thing just doesn't allow much of any adjustment range.  This was my first obstacle on the 9GT.  I fiddled with the shift mechanism for days before giving up and adapting my shift style to the bike.  This is very different from the Harley design which allows a wide range of adjustment, and a couple of acres of room down there.  On the Tracer you better have some pretty narrow toed boots.

• Thumbsup 1

I noticed the tight and angled shifting with my size 11 boots on first ride on my new 2020 coming home from dealer . I to tried to do some adjust at lever connections but could quickly see that wasnt going to work. I pondered and thought , hey just move the upper splined conection from gear box 1 tooth. Wow problem solved.Not the racing angle from the factory ,and fits and shifts great Quick shifter and all.

• Thumbsup 3

13 hours ago, GTO MIKE said:

I noticed the tight and angled shifting with my size 11 boots on first ride on my new 2020 coming home from dealer . I to tried to do some adjust at lever connections but could quickly see that wasnt going to work. I pondered and thought , hey just move the upper splined conection from gear box 1 tooth. Wow problem solved.Not the racing angle from the factory ,and fits and shifts great Quick shifter and all.

Thanks, Mike. I tried that my 2021 9GT also, but doing so put the lower “shift rod joint” (as the manual calls it) perilously close to the side stand cutout switch during up shifts.

Early on, I actually removed the switch and took it out of action so as to get that clearance. With the switch in place I can’t be certain the shift lever isn’t bumping that switch body. Riding without the switch isn’t my cup o’ tea, so I taught my 73 y/o ankle how to bend enough to make the lever work. 

• Thumbsup 1