New 2015 owner from Boston, MA

bostondan

Hi,

I just picked up a red 2015 FJ-09 with some nice suspension mods (GP front forks, Ohlins rear shock). It has some other customization bits: givi soft rear bags and a Trex front cage/skid plate. I will take the cage off and probably the rear bags off as well since I prefer that look. I may end up putting a GIVI trunk for commuting purposes. I have been riding for 20 years or so and have other bikes in the stable (a couple of VFRs, a 2013 Multistrads, a scrambler). I was on the fence between this bike and a 2015 Hyperstrada, but decided to go with the more sensible choice. 🙂 So far I love it.

Dani

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1

Welcome to the asylum! It's an addictive bike, especially when well-sorted like yours. 

And that's a great deal for someone on that engine guard set. Make sure you get hold of the instructions and understand which fasteners need to be replaced with OEM, and which are part of the engine guard set when you remove it.

Also, the engine guards on your bike are not the same as in the link; yours will fit 2015-2017 models, but later Tracer models are different. 

Edited by bwringer

Thanks.

The link says that the engine guards should fit both under the description of models it fits. I know the later ones are different as I rented two of them and put a total of 3700 miles on them 🙂

I think the original FJ-09 is a little more nimble, maybe because of shorter wheelbase. Given that I have a 2013 Multistrada, I wanted something smaller and that would be easier in the city. I am 5'7"

I agree that the 2015 is perceptibly more nimble thanks to the swingarm. I rode a 2021 for a bit, and it definitely felt more different in that regard than I anticipated.

My 2015 is wearing the slipper clutch upgrade, and that super-light clutch pull and precise feathering are just pure luxury in the city.

• Thumbsup 3

Welcome, nice bike and a sensible choice.  I saw one similar to yours at the Barber Vintage Festival last weekend.  I actually got a shot of it with my GoPro 360 but haven't puled the files yet.  Worked in my yard then took photos for 4 days and then had an ablation on Monday!  Closest I've come to doing anything is getting on the forum.  LOL they told me I couldn't drive till Friday and I thought I had it made but my wife fixed that and they added or ride a scooter or motorcycle!  😞   Why Monday - to give myself the most recovery time before the WERA GNF that is a week and a half away.  

For you race fans WERA is a great event to go to, usually very few spectators and you can walk around the paddock and talk to the racers and mechanics (many times the same person).  Some races are not that great but they run a lot of short races so just wait till the next one.  

• Thumbsup 1