Skid Plates

• Supporting Member

Why is it that skid plate sellers won't/don't include instructions with their products.  I've bought two of them and still no instructions. Kinda given up on the idea of having one. What a PITA. Even asked one of the sellers for directions and he sent me the first page listing the included parts.  Not much help.

If you recognize either one please,woulod you copy your direction and send them t me.

IMG_0001.JPG

IMG_0002.JPG

I have an SRC and can say neither of those are the same as my SRC.  Lots of miles and some scrapes and gouges on the bottom but it is vey sturdy.  One time was pulling off the road and the asphalt was a little higher than the shoulder.  Scrape!  No harm but it touches down easier than I would expect.  On my long trips I've been thru lots of road construction in addition to the junk on the road.  

• Premium Member

Those 2 appear to be Chinese knockoff variations of the SW Mototech skid plate.  A member here had a similar knockoff "crumple like wet cardboard " and his sump pan I believe still got taken out !

I have the SWM and it is thicker and a hard alloy that is tough and strong. I drilled a hole so I can remove the bottom drain plug on my original 15.  Did the plug fin delete and low profile drain bolt mod.

Download the SWM instructions as mentioned. 

BTW I bought mine a few years ago from Twisted Throttle when they had it on sale shipped for under $100. 

Very happy with it.

20220929_182942.jpg

20221002_151815.jpg

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

Okay, I robbed two  banks and got enough money to buy a SW-Motech skid plate. Even it's directions s--k a big one.  The drawing are very faint and a bit un-understandable. I'm thinking on just giving up on the whole idea.

• Supporting Member
4 minutes ago, scjaws said:

Okay, I robbed two  banks and got enough money to buy a SW-Motech skid plate. Even it's directions s--k a big one.  The drawing are very faint and a bit un-understandable. I'm thinking on just giving up on the whole idea.

Dont give up, even if the instructions suck, it should just take a bit of patience and trial and error.  I believe there are only 3 brackets to fit?  Look at the bracket hole spacing and the holes drilled in the plate, the brackets are slightly different and they should only fit one way.  Good luck.

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

15 hours ago, scjaws said:

Don't let the lack of clear-cut install docs keep you from the SW-Motech skid plate, there are only like 4-5 bolts, tops... it shouldn't be rocket science.  The plate is awesome - you want the peace of mind it brings. 👍

image.thumb.jpeg.5d9274318ff6da185802ea5da04312d1.jpeg

• Thumbsup 5

Yes it can be aggravating but I've hit mine often enough to be very glad I have it.  Plus have ridden thru several road construction areas where it was possible to hit some biggish rocks.  Don't want to put a hole or crack i your oil pan when hundreds of miles from a descent sized city.  

Frame grab from a GoPro Max 360 camera.  Lots of stuff to hit plus a gravel road and there was 5 miles of this stuff. If you are just going to ride local maybe not needed but if any distance riding or on lest than perfect roads then a skid plate is a good idea.  The Tracer sits pretty low.

Construction.jpg

• Supporting Member

Bought the SWM with the faint directions. Finally got it figured out, but the skid plate itself would not fit.  Spent 7.5 hours on it over two days and never got it to fit. If I can't fit a simple skid plate, maybe it's the Ages telling me it's time to retire from motorcycles. I'm 77 and had  a good run of 51 years on two wheels. Have ridden in 47 states and enjoyed every second of it.

Have to give that some thought.

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, scjaws said:

Bought the SWM with the faint directions. Finally got it figured out, but the skid plate itself would not fit.  Spent 7.5 hours on it over two days and never got it to fit. If I can't fit a simple skid plate, maybe it's the Ages telling me it's time to retire from motorcycles. I'm 77 and had  a good run of 51 years on two wheels. Have ridden in 47 states and enjoyed every second of it.

Have to give that some thought.

You should post this in the other thread running called aging riders lol

I have the fastest red 15 too and had no trouble installing the SWM skid plate.  in fact I modified it to make any removal unnecessary for oil changes.

Maybe they sent you the wrong kit!