Picked up 92 750 Nighthawk

peteinpa

I'm coming to the party late, (as usual) but I like it.

It's simple, solid, does what it needs to do, looks great, and you gotta love no valve adjustments ever.

I found its limit though. North of 100 mph it starts to run out of breath.  Do I need to go over 100? No. It gets to 100 pretty fast.

As far as cornering I just had to get used to it, does fine.  Rear tire is almost gone so might be a problem.

• Thumbsup 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • Supporting Member
On 10/28/2022 at 8:39 PM, Lone Wolf said:

There is a very good condition used one on Ebay right now for $65 (search "1983 honda nighthawk 550 cb550sc tension") That search also finds someone selling new springs for that cam chain tensioner for $33.

Personally I have had great luck with vintage parts on Ebay if reputable seller history.

Tension spring.jpg

@Lone Wolf Thanks again!!  The tensioner arrived last week, and the spring just last night.  Crazy that someone actually had a run of new ones produced after all this time.

It may have jumped a tooth, but from what I understand it's all marked so timing it shouldn't be too big of a deal.

• Thumbsup 2

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

• 4 weeks later...

Update:  Carbs out, found ALL the pilots completely clogged shut. Rest of carbs almost spotless. Amazing it ran and idled with choke off. Should run MUCH  better now.

4 new clone turnsignals on. Much more to do.

The big reveal...The more I think about it I might keep this and sell the FJ09. Winter, too much thinking time.

I love the FJ09 engine, but not much else. Even with a Sargent seat FJ gives me butt burn after short time.  On the NH it's long seat lets you move front to back, very important! 

I LOVE the looks of the NH, only tolerated the looks of the FJ.  Newer versions, even worse.

The simplicity of the NH can't be overlooked. No valve adjustments,  coolant, fuel pump, crazy bodywork, etc.

Back to back rides in the spring will decide it.

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member

I hear you, man.  There's something about a sharp UJM that hits just right.

• Thumbsup 1

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

4 hours ago, peteinpa said:

...The more I think about it I might keep this

One of the reasons I keep my 1993 Nighthawk 750 is that 2nd and 3rd gear can give me the feeling of hauling ass on a motorcycle - yet I don't find myself going 90 to 100 on a public road (which happens all the time on the Yamaha).

I know that sounds ridiculous, but at the age of 67 I have already gotten the thrills of several liter bikes, several close calls. I have sold bikes that just tempted me to ride too fast on public roads. 

If I had a $200,000 Ferrari, 99% of the miles would be on public roads, so WTF. I love fast cars, fast motorcycles, but also love wringing the neck out of a vintage motorcycle. My old Nighthawk is equal in performance to this Vincent, but I didn't pay as much and the parts are a little easier to find

Vincent.jpg

• Thumbsup 2
1980 Yamaha 850 Triple (sold). Too many bikes to list, FJ-09 is next on my list

I just saw this thread. Thanks for posting, it was fun to read. My 2nd bike ever was a maroon 83 Nighthawk 650. Bought it used in 91 and kept until 96. I really wanted the 700S model but couldn't find one in my low budget at the time.

I really liked my NH 650 until it started having charging system problems and left me stranded with a dead battery. I had found out in later years that this was a known problem with that bike. 

I eventually found a parts bike in the local swap sheet which was like a printed newspaper version of craigslist. No E-bay or forum pages back then as the internet was adolescent in the mid 90's. I swapped out the generator & rectifier, test rode it once, sold it and moved on. 

• Thumbsup 1

2019 Tracer 900 GT. 2022 MT-09SP. 2002 Buell S3T Thunderbolt. 2016 FJ-09 SOLD. 2019 XSR900 SOLD.

3 hours ago, metallion said:

I really liked my NH 650 until it started having charging system problems and left me stranded with a dead battery. I had found out in later years that this was a known problem with that bike. 

Yeah, that's the thing about the later model Nighthawk 1991-2003. All of those issues were resolved. They tweaked the old bulletproof Honda 750, updated the charging system and moved it behind the crankshaft so the engine isn't 3 feet wide, and they simply don't have issues.

Had you purchased the 700s that you lusted after, you would eventually have discovered they were prone to failure of the starter chain. (years 1984-1986) You see them on Craig's list, bike runs but has to be push-started. The fix requires pulling the engine, split cases - and replace the starter chain with the late model 1991-2003 part because they tweaked it by making a wider, stronger starter chain. 

The Nighthawk may not snap your neck, but I was glad I was riding it yesterday when I encountered gravel when leaned over a bit on a sweeping curve. If I had been going faster I would have low-sided, but as it was it just slipped out a bit and I saved it.

Edited by Lone Wolf
  • Thumbsup 3
1980 Yamaha 850 Triple (sold). Too many bikes to list, FJ-09 is next on my list