Introducing myself

Good day, ladies and gents.  Old guy here, came to learn and lurk about these bikes.  I've been an FJR guy for years, do my own wrenching and go to tech days to help everyone out.  Need to know anything about an FJR, lemme know, you'll find me on all the FJR forums.  In the past I have had a V-strom 650 (2), ST1300, Goldwing, two FJR's, Honda CBF1000 (not sold in USA), VFR800 (still have), Versys 1000 (current main bike), and am playing with a Fazer 8 which is lovely power train.

I have lusted after a Tracer GT for a few years now, just couldn't get one to speak to me enough on test rides, but I have friends with them.  Maybe one day.... hoping to learn more about the tech side of things and wrenching on this triple.

Cheers, Ray.

• Thumbsup 6

Welcome Ray!

Lots of good information here regarding the Tracer.  I too am an "old guy".  Retired and love riding my Tracer 900 GT.  Like you the test ride did not really get me hooked on the bike but nothing else on the market at that time checked as many boxes for me.  So I bought one and have been very happy with the bike!  The triple motor is fantastic and the bike is relatively light so it is not fatiguing on long trips.  Just needed a different seat.  Have 23,000 miles on it now and nothing else on the market has made me consider trading.  

My first bike was a 2003 VFR 800.  Put 40,000 miles on it and sold it to a friend.  Picture of yours???

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

On 11/2/2022 at 10:04 AM, RaYzerman said:

Good day, ladies and gents.  Old guy here, came to learn and lurk about these bikes.  I've been an FJR guy for years, do my own wrenching and go to tech days to help everyone out.  Need to know anything about an FJR, lemme know, you'll find me on all the FJR forums. 

it's like Old Home Week around here anymore, with former FJR guys downsizing to the 900 GT.

Hello, Ray!

Be advised, the 2019-2020  model year Tracer 900 GT fits the larger FJR1300 side cases natively.

So if you have a spare set of FJR bags hanging around, the mount and lock points are identical:

fullTourProsserDrop.thumb.jpg.a38d08158e1516e47220a79e0c0d17a3.jpg

RearTracerFJRcases.thumb.jpg.e938f50451cec024475df5639bf9d5e5.jpg

• Thumbsup 4

Old home week for sure, good to see you chiming in..... well, the sport touring platform is fading away and the FJR/C14 are really the only two left in the game.  I've done some homework and Yammy test rides on the Tracers for the last 3-4 years, even have a used set of FJR saddlebag lids in my stash just in case....... right now still enjoying the litre 4 cylinders, and the Versys 1000 is working out well as my sport tourer.  Just keeping my eye out for a good used Tracer, and can't believe the money they're asking for them....

johnmark101, here's a pic of Bumblebee for you.  I stripped this down naked and went over everything, spent more than I should have.  Took it to WV in September, actually it's quite comfy the way I have it set up and it's running perfectly.

20221006_125213 (Medium).jpg

12 hours ago, RaYzerman said:

..... well, the sport touring platform is fading away and the FJR/C14 are really the only two left in the game. 

The larger sport TOURERS are getting scarce but the SPORT touring segment seems to be doing OK: Tracer GT, Ducati Supersport, SuperDuke GT, GSXS1000GT, Ninja 1000, Honda NV1100 (in non-US markets, but still) to name a few..........

• Thumbsup 1

22 hours ago, RaYzerman said:

Old home week for sure, good to see you chiming in..... well, the sport touring platform is fading away and the FJR/C14 are really the only two left in the game.  I've done some homework and Yammy test rides on the Tracers for the last 3-4 years, even have a used set of FJR saddlebag lids in my stash just in case....... right now still enjoying the litre 4 cylinders, and the Versys 1000 is working out well as my sport tourer.  Just keeping my eye out for a good used Tracer, and can't believe the money they're asking for them....

johnmark101, here's a pic of Bumblebee for you.  I stripped this down naked and went over everything, spent more than I should have.  Took it to WV in September, actually it's quite comfy the way I have it set up and it's running perfectly.

20221006_125213 (Medium).jpg

NIce VFR!  Looks like you did similar mods to yours as I did to mine.......seat and bar risers.  I installed Helibars and a Sargent seat.  Mine was a 2003 with the annoying VTEC.  I installed a power commander and custom map which smoothed out the VTEC transition considerably.  

I think the lightweight sport touring platforms on the market today are the best bikes to own as they are good long distance partners that can still be a hooligan in the twisties.  The Tracer is the best for this in my humble opinion.  I would vote for the Multistrada but it is a good bit heavier and light weight is high on my priority list.  

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

11 hours ago, miweber929 said:

The larger sport TOURERS are getting scarce but the SPORT touring segment seems to be doing OK: Tracer GT, Ducati Supersport, SuperDuke GT, GSXS1000GT, Ninja 1000, Honda NV1100 (in non-US markets, but still) to name a few..........

And the best of them all IMHO and not to be left out......R1250RS!!!

2000000001.jpg

• Thumbsup 2

Welcome from another oldish fella!  You must be the only person left in Ontario, yesterday driving from Gatlinburg TN to Birmingham AL saw lots of cars from Ontario 🙂   Headed south for the winter I guess.  

I didn't get to the Tracer from a larger bike but was looking for a midsized sport touring bike.  Didn't start riding till later in life when the kids were out of high school.  First bike was a Ninja 250, the a FZ6 which was a wonderful bike that I put 40,000 miles on.  That was followed by a 2012 CBR600RR then a 2014 Ninja ZX6R 636.  Went to the ZX6R to get ABS and that was my favorite of all the bikes I've had although the CBR was a wonderful bike.  When I retired bought a BMW F800GT to go on long trips.

Up until that point the longest I'd gone was 600 miles.  Set out on my first long camping trip on the BMW and it was wonderful.  Had it a couple of years and was getting tired of the lack of power particularly loaded up.  The Tracer 900 GT was the only bike at the time that didn't weight well over 500 pounds and had good horsepower.  Set out on my last trip on the BMW and at the end of the second day had a catastrophic failure of a rear wheel bearing in Nebraska.  Fortunately it was just as I was pulling off for the KOA I was staying at.

I had planned on trading for a Tracer 900 GT after that trip but when the BMW broke looked on Cycle Trader to see if I could find one not too far away and maybe they would trade and I could keep on my trip.  Didn't work out that way but found a Tracer in Sioux Falls SD with a good price and over the phone they made me a good offer for the BMW - if it was repaired!  Bought a complete swingarm from eBay, swapped swingarms and rode to Sioux Falls and traded.  

Never liked the sound of the BMW twin and after the explosive top end power of the CBR and the ZX6R it was really hard for me to get used to.  In two years Ive put 26,000 miles on my Tracer and love it.  Not a lot of mods but did put a Neutrino Element on it.  Basically a fused really box but all solid state and can to pulse wave modulation to change brightness of lights or heated gear heat.  Changed the windscreen and seat and added a 38 liter Yamaha top box with an additional brake light on the back.  Current tires are Road 6s which I really like.  Wear longer and more evenly that the predecessors and handle nicely in all weather conditions.

Love the size of the Tracer, not perfect suspension but able to play in the corners and yet still be supple enough for the long days on relatively straight roads.  In September riding across Montana hit a stretch of road that had humps and valleys.  The Tracer would hit the humps and soak them up then it would get lighter and then compressed the suspension in the valleys.  It was perfect!  Not too harsh and not too soft, always in control.  In the twisty stuff it is easy to turn in and flick side to side.  Its not a race replica sport bike but its close enough.

• Thumbsup 2

5 hours ago, ReSTored said:

Ray, welcome to the forum. I need you to become an expert on all things Tracer so you can pitch in with advice and the occasional wrench to keep mine on the road and running properly.

I am certainly curious about the technical side of this triple, so feel free to park the bike in my shop for a few days so I can look at stuff and of course go on some test rides.....  as I mentioned to you, your 'nephew' Anthony should be lurking in here soon and since he's only half an hour away...... well, he could be the guinea pig instead, lol.....

Anyway, after you following me yesterday, I have some conspicuity suggestions that won't cost you a lot.....

Bwahaha, too funny Ray, good to see Pat and Phil chiming in. 
Picked up my new to me 2020 Tracer last week from Apex in Cambridge.

Had the bike to RayZerman’s garage for the installation of lowering links and a suspension adjustment.

Ray will no doubt help me spend my money!

STrep

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, STrep said:

Had the bike to RayZerman’s garage for the installation of lowering links and a suspension adjustment.

Mine is lowered as well, links put on by PO. Love my Tracer, but it sits high. I goosestep getting on and then tend to scuff the bags getting off. Got to work on those hip joints.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1