2023 Honda Transalp

knyte

I've been watching some comparison vids, and it's sounds like the consensus is the Suzuki V-Strom DE800 is the overall better bike. Of course neither has cruise or tubeless tires, same can be said for the T7 as well. I don't want tube tires, I want cruise, otherwise it's exciting to see these new offerings in a very popular genre. I do miss hitting all the off pavement roads here in Ohio, so in the future I might just add to the garage if cruise and tubeless becomes an option. :)

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

I'll be able to tell you all about it tomorrow  ... I pick up my 2024 TA around noon.

I opted for heated grips, centre stand, rad guard, low seat and the little fairing-mount wind deflectors.  I've got a fender extender (ALIEXPRESS) and handguards (ACERBIS) on order.

• Thumbsup 4

There is never enough time or money to do it right the first time.

• Supporting Member
On 10/13/2023 at 8:00 AM, Heavy said:

I'll be able to tell you all about it tomorrow  ... I pick up my 2024 TA around noon...

Tomorrow was several days ago... 🤨

• Haha 1

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

I rode a Transalp - I like it better than a T7 in some aspects. It’s typical “vanilla” Honda: not exceptional in many ways just doing everything well right down the middle of the road, not too far to either side so to speak. It doesn’t feel quite as top heavy as T7. It turns and corners just as well. Suspension is a bit meh in adjustability but so’s a T7. Engine is very nice, good torque and fueling. The Honda does have a better electronics suite, as far as adjustability in engine braking, power, etc. more like a baby Africa twin. The T7 definitely lags in that way. No cruise control. Good handling, feels good between the legs, almost nimble like a Vstrom 650 or early 950/990 KTM Adv. Good seat height.
Nice bike. Not sure which would be better off pavement. Probably an 890 adventure, if you can keep the KTM out of the shop. 
HTH,

Skip

• Thumbsup 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, piotrek said:

Tomorrow was several days ago... 🤨

Tomorrow never comes.  Right?  😉

The shop had problem getting the bike to recognize the Honda heated grips I had them install.  They finally sorted it and I'm picking it up today.

um ... I'll tell you about it tomorrow?

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

Finally got the TransAlp.  Crappy day for it but at least I have it.  Rode 125kms home in 7ºC (45ºF) and rain/drizzle.

Very happy with the purchase.  Feels an awful lot like a lighter version of my old 1000 V-Strom.  It feels like a better "fit" for me and my riding style/expectations over the Tracer.  Think with a couple of small modifications I will be able to make it my new Geezer Glider.  😄

As my friend said ... "It's a more appropriate bike for an old guy like you."

Bought the low seat and that allows me to flat-foot, with my 30" inseam.  The low seat combined with the narrow engine makes the bike feel much more manageable when stopped or paddling around.  Low seat does seem to have a "spot" and doesn't feel like there's much room to move around and change position.

Stock windscreen, with the small fairing wind deflectors, seems to be excellent airflow for me.  Have a GIVI add-on windshield spoiler and don't think I'll even need it.

Gearing is very tall.  No point in using 6th on back roads.

Acceleration is more than enough for me ... even being gentle during break-in.

I like the display and the button/toggle to change settings is easier than the scroll wheel.

Feels much lighter to roll around the garage and to put up on the centre stand.

Sure miss the cruise control from the Tracer.

The Transalp looks a little awkward/gawky.  Certainly not the muscular/purposeful look of the Tracer.

Only 125 kms on the odometer ...

20231018_142435.thumb.jpg.6847021296110fe7fd2a9449ead9fe26.jpg

• Thumbsup 4
  • Like 2

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, Heavy said:

Finally got the TransAlp.  Crappy day for it but at least I have it.

Congrats, and thanks for your initial thoughts. Now that you got it a bit dirty... it's truly yours. 🙂

• Thumbsup 2

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

10 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

You could try going to up 2 on the rear sprocket If there is enough chain or 1 up on the front sprocket To get some more grunt in 6 gear

Good luck with your purchase!

In our day a 750 was a big bike eh

Don't think I'll bother with changing gearing.  I'm perfectly happy with the acceleration and the long legs should give me great (better?) fuel economy out on the open road.  Since I'm just breaking it in I stayed off the main highway and wound my way home on secondary roads so I could vary throttle openings.

Interesting how displacements have grown.  I was getting back into snowmobiling a few years ago and was amazed to find that 550's were considered beginner sleds.  Before I got out of it (many years ago) I had a 250 Elan SS and a Citation SS with a 370.  The Elan was a lightweight and great for playing in deep snow or exploring off trail ... something suitable for a friend or girlfriend to ride.  The Citation was a quick machine for running trails and lakes.  Times change.  😉

old.jpg.e0e567374f7a771eabc1b949c4a71a62.jpg

10 hours ago, piotrek said:

Congrats, and thanks for your initial thoughts. Now that you got it a bit dirty... it's truly yours. 🙂

Thanks.  Ya, wasn't happy about the messy roads but now I've got the first time out of the way.

Edited by Heavy

Forgot to mention an important factor ... the sidestand is easy to find with your foot and deploy!  😃

I found it took a pretty precise toe to find the sidestand on the Tracer.