Optional Accessories

• Supporting Member

Every now and again I come across an accessory I think I need. I learned long ago to wait a few days, or weeks before making a purchase for these items. Of course often the desire fades, and I pass. Today I saw a promo for kidney belts, are they for protection or warmth?

So what accessories do you use that you consider essential but it doesn't come up often in conversation? And... what about those Kidney Belts?

• Supporting Member
3 hours ago, Heli ATP said:

And... what about those Kidney Belts?

I have ridden off road almost my entire life and have always used a kidney belt due to the jolts and bouncing around while riding over roots and rocks.  They have plastic impact panels and can get uncomfortable after a while.

Fox Racing Titan Sport Kidney Belt - Wholesale MX

I cant see the use for using them when riding on smooth pavement, however I do occasionally use a lumbar support belt which is fairly similar but much more comfortable.  Its basically the same ones you see Lowes/ Home Depot store employees wearing.

Back Support Belt, Large

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Kidney belt saved my friends life in high school. Got impaled by a three wheeler handlebar. Without it, dead meat for sure.

I keep saying I'm going to buy a set of pitbull forward handle stands for the wife and I but never pull the trigger.

Scarf/neck warmer/baclava whatever, essential for even a brisk summer morning. Makes a big difference, easy to store, easy to remove.

• Thumbsup 4

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, kilo3 said:

Scarf/neck warmer/baclava whatever, essential for even a brisk summer morning. Makes a big difference, easy to store, easy to remove.

I use a neck gaiter year around, I never ride without one, thermal in the winter and polyester/silk in summer.

• Thumbsup 7

• Supporting Member
5 hours ago, betoney said:

I use a neck gaiter year around, I never ride without one, thermal in the winter and polyester/silk in summer.

Over here, with the weather being fairly mild (generally), I like to use a Shemagh style scarf for the winter and a Scrim for summer.

The Shemagh offers some thermal benefit between the jacket and helmet in Winter as well as sun protection on the back of the neck while the perforated Scrim offers sun protection (mainly) in Summer.  Also, it can be soaked in water for those really hot days and provide some evaporative cooling around the neck where some large blood vessels traverse.  Works quite well actually.

For those not familiar with these things (and if interested) -

Scrim -

Scrim Net Scarf Multicam 1Metre

Shemagh -

TACTICAL WOVEN SHEMAGH SCARF OLIVE DRAB / BLACK | JB Military Antiques

• Thumbsup 3
  • Like 1

I wear offroad type shin guards under my MC jeans. Unlike the knee pads that come in motorcycle pants that tend to shift, (and that I remove,) these stay in place. On one get off, the knee of the pants ground away, but no damage to my knee with these in place. They also protect the legs from the odd stone, etc, that gets thrown up. They also keep engine heat or cold winds off of the leg area.

Screenshot_20221116-094332_Gallery.jpg

• Thumbsup 3
  • Like 1

• Supporting Member

The problem with me asking a question about optional accessories is it presents me with more items to consider. 🙄

I wear a skull cap under my helmet which reduces swamp head and helps keep my helmet clean. I'm so impressed with it I will probably pick up some of their base layers.

heat_out_cool_r_helmet_liner.jpg

• Thumbsup 2

7 hours ago, Heli ATP said:

The problem with me asking a question about optional accessories is it presents me with more items to consider. 🙄

I wear a skull cap under my helmet which reduces swamp head and helps keep my helmet clean. I'm so impressed with it I will probably pick up some of their base layers.

heat_out_cool_r_helmet_liner.jpg

I searched for the brand above but couldn't find anything. Are you able to share the link?

• Sad 1

On 11/15/2022 at 1:42 PM, Heli ATP said:

Every now and again I come across an accessory I think I need. I learned long ago to wait a few days, or weeks before making a purchase for these items. Of course often the desire fades, and I pass. Today I saw a promo for kidney belts, are they for protection or warmth?

So what accessories do you use that you consider essential but it doesn't come up often in conversation? And... what about those Kidney Belts?

Back in the 80's I rode with a kidney belt, but honestly, only because it was cool. I suppose those with more snug fit, like lifting belts might do something. 

My must have for cold weather is a balaclava. It keeps my bald head toasty, while protecting my neck against cold drafts. 

• Thumbsup 2

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current

5 minutes ago, Heli ATP said:

HEAT-OUT Cool'R was a CycleGear / RevZilla product. Not sure if it is still produced.

I think the Heat-Out brand has been discontinued. Sadly.  Their hot weather base layer, the original one, was fantastic. I'm still using it, but it's getting very worn. I bought the newer stuff and it was no good. 

• Thumbsup 1

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current

• Supporting Member
17 hours ago, Heli ATP said:

HEAT-OUT Cool'R was a CycleGear / RevZilla product. Not sure if it is still produced.

I have some of their older Cool'R under shirts and moisture wicking shorts for summer and the Heat-Out wind block pull-over for winter.  They have changed the name over the years, still available at Cycle Gear but now branded as "Axial".

https://www.cyclegear.com/gear/axial-block-long-sleeve-shirt

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
On 11/19/2022 at 10:24 AM, betoney said:

...... They have changed the name over the years, still available at Cycle Gear but now branded as "Axial".

Excellent news thanks, and the price is right.

• 8 months later...
On 11/16/2022 at 10:50 AM, kingfisher said:

I wear offroad type shin guards under my MC jeans. Unlike the knee pads that come in motorcycle pants that tend to shift, (and that I remove,) these stay in place. On one get off, the knee of the pants ground away, but no damage to my knee with these in place. They also protect the legs from the odd stone, etc, that gets thrown up. They also keep engine heat or cold winds off of the leg area.

Screenshot_20221116-094332_Gallery.jpg

Where did you get those, please?  I like the description of what they do.

• Thumbsup 1