'19 Tracer 900 air filter service...

OMG- just watched a diy on you tube for air filter service and am shocked how such brilliant engineers could create such a royal pain air filter maintenance requirement. Removing 30 screws, fairings, blinker wiring, gas tank, ecu-is this a dream?

Edited by Garz747
repeated word

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, Garz747 said:

OMG- just watched a diy on you tube for air filter service and am shocked how such brilliant engineers could create such a royal pain air filter maintenance requirement. Removing 30 screws, fairings, blinker wiring, gas tank, ecu-is this a dream?

Once you have removed the panels the first time, its quite simple thereafter.  Its no more difficult than any of the other bikes I've owned.  I put a lot of miles on my bike(s) each year and service the air filters much sooner than the manual dictates -about every 4-6K miles and they are always filthy.  I replace the oem filter in all of my vehicles with a reusable/washable K&N filter, so I can wash them and re-oil them as often as needed, which in my case is a few times a year.

• Thumbsup 6
  • Like 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

1 hour ago, betoney said:

watched a diy on you tube for air filter service and am shocked how such brilliant engineers could create such a royal pain air filter maintenance requirement

Link to video?  I thought my C14 was a PITA but would love to make a comparison when my Tracer hits that milestone. @Garz747 not betoney, sorry sticky oily fingers from oil change at 4k mark... :)

Edited by robzilla

• Supporting Member
15 minutes ago, BarryGT said:

I saw the video and it involves a lot of effort, can't imagine what a dealer would charge for the service.

By the time you took the bike to the dealer and had them do the service, you could have LONG since done it yourself and been out riding. 

With the convenience of YouTube showing us step by step, there's really no reason not to do these simple services ourselves, especially since it takes only the most basic of hand tools.  Air filter cleaning, oil changes, removing and replacing wheels, changing brake pads are the most basic fundamental routine maintenance tasks any motorcyclist faces and after one or 2 attempts can almost be done blindfolded.

• Thumbsup 4
  • Like 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member

In additional to the FJ I have a 2021 Goldwing. The FJ’s air filter is a walk in the park on a beautiful June morning compared to the goldwing. 

• Thumbsup 4
  • Haha 3

Let’s go Brandon

Hey Garz747 ... judging from the weather forecast, you've  got plenty of time to change the filter before you ride again.  😊

Where in Barrie are you?  I lived around Burton and Bayview until a couple years ago.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 1

There is never enough time or money to do it right the first time.

8 hours ago, micah2074 said:

In additional to the FJ I have a 2021 Goldwing. The FJ’s air filter is a walk in the park on a beautiful June morning compared to the goldwing. 

You got that right.... I had a GL once and know what air filter service is on that bike... so my buddy brings his GL over last week, we are changing out the rear shock (requires shelter and fuel tank removal).   We did take the opportunity to dig deeper and change the air filter.  No need to remind me not to buy a GL again.   😅

• Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 1

• Premium Member
56 minutes ago, RaYzerman said:

You got that right.... I had a GL once and know what air filter service is on that bike... so my buddy brings his GL over last week, we are changing out the rear shock (requires shelter and fuel tank removal).   We did take the opportunity to dig deeper and change the air filter.  No need to remind me not to buy a GL again.   😅

For what it is, the Goldwing is a fantastic bike. She’s a big girl that can hustle and do it comfortably with the wife and a weeks worth of dirty underwear loaded up.
I don’t mind the tedious maintenance items as I do as much of it possible myself. But… thank the good Lord for motorcycle communities like this. They make those tasks a lot easier. 

• Thumbsup 5

Let’s go Brandon

I’ve got a 22 Wing new on 2 Aug this year, now at over 7k mikes. I do ALL my own maint including tires. Same on the Tracer. I agree the Tracer is a bit of work getting at anything under the fuel tank. Throttle body sync is another level of hard that is worse than merely changing out the air filter.

I haven’t done the Wing yet, but I hear the complaining about it from the other owners.

I don’t mind maintaining my bikes. I enjoy it. These maintenance things are essential to the total motorcycling experience, IMHO. Even when they are hard, sweaty, frustrating jobs, I enjoy them. Always have. Always will. One of the things I dread most about getting old/frail is inability to do my own maint, let alone be able to ride. 

• Thumbsup 4

Many, many bikes with fairings are MUCH worse.

The Tracer/FJ is easy-peasy. It's a few minutes of tedium, but as noted, once you've done it for the first time it'll make sense. Those quarter-turn fasteners are pure luxury. And the body panels are a lot more robust than most; a lot of bikes have assorted hidden super-fragile "gotchas" that inevitably break at the first service, lending the bike a certain flappy decrepitude.

Personally, I'm an OEM air filter fan. $20 and no farting around with washing, drying, oiling, massaging, etc. And cheaper than aftermarket replacements, oddly.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

My problem with working any bike with body work, is the space to safely store the parts out of harms way (mostly the wife and dogs) One of the many reasons that I don't miss my Goldwing or to a lesser extent the S1000rr. 

He who dies with the most toys wins.

On 11/20/2022 at 7:52 AM, KrustyKush said:

I’ve got a 22 Wing new on 2 Aug this year, now at over 7k mikes. I do ALL my own maint including tires. Same on the Tracer. I agree the Tracer is a bit of work getting at anything under the fuel tank. Throttle body sync is another level of hard that is worse than merely changing out the air filter.

I haven’t done the Wing yet, but I hear the complaining about it from the other owners.

I don’t mind maintaining my bikes. I enjoy it. These maintenance things are essential to the total motorcycling experience, IMHO. Even when they are hard, sweaty, frustrating jobs, I enjoy them. Always have. Always will. One of the things I dread most about getting old/frail is inability to do my own maint, let alone be able to ride. 

Older wing (02-16) shelter removals are easier in some ways…. There’s several “gottchas” on the new GW air filter replacement:

-the hidden “clips” underneath the panels

-the “poppers” that have to be removed way up in the center cowling above the front fender (easier from the top but will still run away and disappear into the engine)

-and finally the cable for the solenoid which has to be reattached under the RH side fairing panel with needle nose pliers. 

HTH when you undertake the job…

-Skip