Tracer 9 GT review

kingfisher

19 hours ago, kingfisher said:

Excellent! What a great looking bike. ....

Thanks bro. Yes I'm fairly impressed with some of the little details on the SP: smoked brake MCs, suede-like seat covering, black DLC coating on the fork tubes....etc😍 

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, Larz said:

black DLC coating on the fork tubes....etc😍 

I believe the SP forks also have high AND low speed compression damping!

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

8 hours ago, betoney said:

I believe the SP forks also have high AND low speed compression damping!

yes sir they do indeed. Really to early to say and again it's apples to oranges, but these KYB forks feel superior to the KYBs that came on the GT 900.

• Thumbsup 1

On 11/30/2022 at 1:13 PM, kingfisher said:

Yes, on the '22 model you can only use the quick shifter to downshift when the throttle is closed. If the QS is turned on, you see two small adjacent arrows on the display, one pointing up, and one down. If the up arrow is green, as it would be in gears 1-5 under throttle,  you can upshift; if the throttle is closed, the down arrow is green and downshifting is possible. 

Yes now I understand what you were saying😏. And the QS on the '23 MT-09 is the same as your '22 9GT, must close throttle to downshift. Works a treat though, smoother than the QS on my '19 and being able QS down is cool🤠. Might actually use it quite a bit!

• Thumbsup 2

• 1 month later...

4,907 miles so far today, enjoying it just as much as before. Amazing motorcycle. Rear tire is to the wear bars; new Dunlop RS 3 is waiting to go on. Front tire has lots of wear left. 

Screenshot_20230120_201239_Gallery.jpg

• Thumbsup 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/30/2022 at 6:23 PM, kingfisher said:

Wow, you are going to enjoy that bike! As great as the new engine is in the Tracer, it should be amazing in the lighter MT-09.

oh yeah, this bike is crazy. Got to be careful in the Canyons, she will loft the front wheel in 3rd gear off the throttle if you get too heavy handed: lovin' it, man!

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

I also came from an FJR, got a tad too big so moved to the Tracer 900GT in 2019, great bike, absolutely no regrets. The FJR pips it for comfort over long distances but the Tracer beats it in every other aspect. Looked at the new Tracer 9GT more than once, test rode it at least three times trying to convince myself to upgrade to the new model. Love the new engine & quick-shifter. Not keen on the new look or that miniscule low beam headlight. For me the deal breakers were the instruments and the wider foot-pegs which are the same as those on the FJR. Found the twin instrument screens almost impossible see during the day and the wider foot-pegs foul my legs when back pedalling. I'm 170cms (5'7"), not tall so cannot splay my legs further. Waiting for the 2023 model with a re-designed instrument cluster where they've gotten rid of the twin screens. Can change the pegs from the FJR to the current shorter items.

Edited by Suu Kyi
  • Thumbsup 2

On 1/20/2023 at 9:19 PM, kingfisher said:

4,907 miles so far today, enjoying it just as much as before. Amazing motorcycle. Rear tire is to the wear bars; new Dunlop RS 3 is waiting to go on. Front tire has lots of wear left. 

Screenshot_20230120_201239_Gallery.jpg

Replace tires as a set, in particular the junk OEM tires. :)

Normally I’d consider changing both, but the T32 tires are actually very good, except for somewhat disappointing life of the rear tire. The front has probably 3/4 life left, so it will stay. Ride and handling is great with the T32 front and RS3 rear.

• 2 months later...

Post update. Hit the  10,000 mile mark today, still having a great time on this bike. It's seen many 200 - 300 mile day rides and a very enjoyable 3,000 mile trip over a nine day period. No problems at all, still has the stock windscreen and seat, both of which work for me. Probably the best overall engine for a street bike that I've encountered.  More than enough power, good low range torque and lots of power up top. The oem Bridgestone front tire is getting close to the wear bars; rear was replaced at 5,000 or so miles. Still hate to get off of it at the end of the day. It's not my only bike, but is definitely one of my favorites compared to quite a few bikes over the years.

Screenshot_20230408_213159_Gallery.jpg

20230408_170945.jpg

• Thumbsup 7

• 4 months later...
On 4/8/2023 at 10:33 PM, kingfisher said:

Post update. Hit the  10,000 mile mark today, still having a great time on this bike. It's seen many 200 - 300 mile day rides and a very enjoyable 3,000 mile trip over a nine day period. No problems at all, still has the stock windscreen and seat, both of which work for me. Probably the best overall engine for a street bike that I've encountered.  More than enough power, good low range torque and lots of power up top. The oem Bridgestone front tire is getting close to the wear bars; rear was replaced at 5,000 or so miles. Still hate to get off of it at the end of the day. It's not my only bike, but is definitely one of my favorites compared to quite a few bikes over the years.

Good morning, enjoyed reading your reviews of the Tracer 9 GT. I take ownership of a new '22 myself next week and have a few questions you may be able to shed light on with all your miles.

I've read about handlebar vibration issues on the Tracer and MT09, any thoughts on that? Was trying to figure out what, if any, bar end wts are on the bike stock, if adding them would make a difference or if it's even necessary. Guess I'll learn soon.

Any tips for ride modes to set it and forget it? I have a Monster 937 and found the two lower ride modes to be annoying so I've just left it in the Sport mode full time. Granted on the Monster in ~7k miles I've never felt the front end wanting to lift so the fact I don't have lift control isn't an issue but from what I know it's likely more important ont he CP3 engine to have it engaged. I don't fiddle much with the settings so once ride and braking is set the only on the fly adjustments I see making are suspension and heated grip level.

BTW, Tracer deals galore right now on '23 and '22 models. Likely due to clearing them out before the GT+ arrive. Was considering waiting for a GT+ but couldn't pass on a new '22 for under $12K and dealer prep thrown in. That could be a $5K savings over a new GT+ when they arrive.

Edited by DHDad
  • Thumbsup 1

I have noticed some vibration at the bars. It killed my Garmin Zumo cradle electric contacts. I solved this with foam rubber vibration dampers for both ends of the Ram mount. I also added Grip puppies to the grips more because they are narrower than I like but they also help with vibration.  Bar end weights could be a problem due to the hand guards.

As for drive mode I almost never take mine out of sport. The front end does get light on hard accel, glad to have the lift control. 

• Thumbsup 1

11 hours ago, DHDad said:

Good morning, enjoyed reading your reviews of the Tracer 9 GT. I take ownership of a new '22 myself next week and have a few questions you may be able to shed light on with all your miles.

I've read about handlebar vibration issues on the Tracer and MT09, any thoughts on that? Was trying to figure out what, if any, bar end wts are on the bike stock, if adding them would make a difference or if it's even necessary. Guess I'll learn soon.

Any tips for ride modes to set it and forget it? I have a Monster 937 and found the two lower ride modes to be annoying so I've just left it in the Sport mode full time. Granted on the Monster in ~7k miles I've never felt the front end wanting to lift so the fact I don't have lift control isn't an issue but from what I know it's likely more important ont he CP3 engine to have it engaged. I don't fiddle much with the settings so once ride and braking is set the only on the fly adjustments I see making are suspension and heated grip level.

BTW, Tracer deals galore right now on '23 and '22 models. Likely due to clearing them out before the GT+ arrive. Was considering waiting for a GT+ but couldn't pass on a new '22 for under $12K and dealer prep thrown in. That could be a $5K savings over a new GT+ when they arrive.

I’ve never been too sensitive to vibration on bikes, but the Tracer seems pretty smooth to me. I’m also a big fan of grip puppies and have them on all my bikes, not for vibration attenuation, (although they do that,) but more to increase grip circumference. I’ve got big hands, and all stock grips feel too small to me.

As far as ride modes, i keep mine in mode one with traction control set on one. The suspension is on A2. I’ve got the rear preload 5 clicks harder than stock, for my 208 lbs. Seems to work well. It is a really good suspension. 

That price is excellent; I paid closer to retail last year when they were initially available at my dealer. I guess I could have waited a bit for the price to come down some, but I’ve had 10 months of enjoyment since purchase, so it was worth it. 

I now have almost 15,000 miles on mine. I honestly think it didn’t fully break in until after 10,000 miles. As good as it ran before then, it seems even smoother and stronger since then. I think that Yamaha’s are built so well, that they get better with a longer break in. I’ve noticed the same thing on past FJR’s and the Super Tenere. 

I think that you will enjoy your new bike. I continue to be impressed by mine.

• Thumbsup 2