Jump to content
  • Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 12 Guests (See full list)

    • There are no registered users currently online

No 2023 Yamaha 9GT+ for USA?


Warchild
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • Supporting Member

News to me...  really, no 2023 Tracer for us?

"Yamaha will offer its most sophisticated Tracer to date for 2023 with the new Tracer 9 GT+. The revised sport-touring machine gets numerous electronic upgrades augmenting engine, suspension, and braking performance along with a few creature comfort enhancements. As of this writing, Yamaha has no plans to release the 2023 model in the States; riders outside the USA can expect to see the machine in dealerships starting in May 2023."

https://www.motorcyclistonline.com/story/news/yamaha-tracer-9-gt-plus-first-look-preview-2023/

  • Thumbsup 1
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Similarly, someone recently posted (not sure where) that Yamaha is unsure whether the 2023 GT+ will be sold in Australia. They ended up booking a 2023 white 9GT for delivery.

The question is, who decides what models are sold where? I imagine it's probably the importers and dealers since they have to deal with service, training, warranty, floor plan costs, marketing and more.

I expect that Yamaha manufacturing is happy to ship product to any dealer on the planet so long as they get paid.

I'm also assuming that the bikes are essentially the same in different markets so that manufacturing for EU is as easy as for US or AU and so on. Is that a reasonable assumption?

Edited by ZigMerid
Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, Ride365 said:

 Yamaha is no more expensive than the other 3 Japanese OEM's, and this is too good of a seller to not have in the states.......it will be here.

I agree with this thought ... but I have no information.  It's surprising to read the above statement that the 9GT is not intended for US in '23.

I looked at, sat on, but did not ride, a '22 9GT in a showroom not too long ago.  The salesman told us the new year model was coming in soon, but that 'they are already claimed'.  I wouldn't trust the guy to tell me much more than the color of the bike I was sitting on ...

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Supporting Member
11 hours ago, Warchild said:

News to me...  really, no 2023 Tracer for us?

As of this writing, Yamaha has no plans to release the 2023 model in the States;

That would be a shame as it seems like Yamaha finally addressed all of the Tracers issues and have refined it to a near-perfect package.

IF that remains true, maybe they will test sales in Europe for 2023 and then release it as a 2024 or 2025 model?  I also own a Honda VFR1200X which was available for 3 years in Europe before being released in NA.

  • Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, SlowBo said:

I looked at, sat on, but did not ride, a '22 9GT in a showroom not too long ago.  The salesman told us the new year model was coming in soon, but that 'they are already claimed'.  I wouldn't trust the guy to tell me much more than the color of the bike I was sitting on ...

I did not even bother to sit on the one in the showroom, but aside from that we are of the same mind, especially in confidence in the salesman. 😁 I am waiting to try the 2023 and hope that the initial reports by MCO are wrong. The 2023 has one of the deal-breakers for me (dash) eliminated, so I'd try the seat. But if they push the price up into BMW territory it will not sell.

Regards, Grumpy Goat | 2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT & 2016 BMW R1200RS

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, betoney said:

IF that remains true, maybe they will test sales in Europe for 2023 and then release it as a 2024

I freely admit i could be spouting nonsense and talking through my arse end without any notion of finding out fact from fiction.... But, could Yamaha be testing the reliability of their adaptive cruise control on the Nations that don't have a compensation culture and the ability to generate huge compensation payouts if something goes horribly wrong before releasing the bike to the USA.

Just a few thoughts to generate some argument and I stand ready to revise my opinion when I am in possession of the facts.

  • Thumbsup 4
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Ride365 said:

 Yamaha is no more expensive than the other 3 Japanese OEM's, and this is too good of a seller to not have in the states.......it will be here.

I recently attended the motorbike show in Birmingham (UK) and sat on the 2023 model. My initial reaction was WOW!  The seat felt like it was designed for humans, the new display looks as good, if not better, than a Ducati, the terrible thumb wheel on the right bar has been replaced by a joystick on the left bar (really easy to use) and even the paintwork looked high quality. The price was pretty reasonable in my view for what you’re getting - £1,000 more than the ‘22 model at £13,100 (around US$16,000). I’ve been fairly happy with my 2018 900 GT but this new model may provide the impetus for me to change. I sincerely hope you guys in the US and Canada get it as it really is a massive step forward. 

  • Thumbsup 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Paddy01 said:

I recently attended the motorbike show in Birmingham (UK) and sat on the 2023 model. My initial reaction was WOW!  The seat felt like it was designed for humans, the new display looks as good, if not better, than a Ducati, the terrible thumb wheel on the right bar has been replaced by a joystick on the left bar (really easy to use) and even the paintwork looked high quality. The price was pretty reasonable in my view for what you’re getting - £1,000 more than the ‘22 model at £13,100 (around US$16,000). I’ve been fairly happy with my 2018 900 GT but this new model may provide the impetus for me to change. I sincerely hope you guys in the US and Canada get it as it really is a massive step forward. 

Good to hear your initial thoughts on the 2023, especially the bit about the seat. Looking at the pictures it still looks curved but if they have reduced the curve and the tendency to slide into the tank then maybe I will get along with it. 

One of the things I like about my 2019 Tracer 900GT is where it is positioned on the pricing scale. I expect to be seriously in the market for my final bike in a couple of years (as I am heading towards retirement, and don't have time or resources to be buying bikes) so Yamaha better sh*t or get off the pot by then regarding design and bringing the bike to the US. I already have a Triple Black GS in mind and a new Tracer could be a competitor, but not if the price keeps getting close to BMW prices. Yes, it has a lot of tech (which I like) but as much as I like ACC in my Golf, I don't want to pay for it on a bike.

Regards, Grumpy Goat | 2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT & 2016 BMW R1200RS

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Supporting Member
8 hours ago, HGP61 said:

I freely admit i could be spouting nonsense and talking through my arse end without any notion of finding out fact from fiction....

When posting on the internet... NEVER let facts get in the way.  😄😄

  • Haha 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Supporting Member
8 hours ago, HGP61 said:

 could Yamaha be testing the reliability of their adaptive cruise control on the Nations that don't have a compensation culture and the ability to generate huge compensation payouts if something goes horribly wrong before releasing the bike to the USA.

That sounds perfectly reasonable.  For now I'm going to remain optimistic... until Yamaha crushes my dreams. 

  • Thumbsup 2
  • Haha 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Supporting Member

Seems like I recall Yam doing similar with the advent of the FJR.  They announced the bike would not be sold in the U.S.  Then later relented, saying they would import only to specific buyers who had put down a deposit.  A little while later they apparently dropped all resistance and the FJRs started appearing on showroom floors in the U.S.

That's how I remember it...

  • Thumbsup 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My bike has been my daily driver for the last 7 years. I am just now able to hop on a new bike after totaling my '19 tracer 900 GT back on Valentine's day. I decided to hold out for the '23 tracer, especially after reading all of the improvements. I wasn't a fan of the '21 or '22. 

If they don't release a '23 tracer next summer I'm just gonna settle for something else. 

 

Sad because I'm willing to wait out another 6-8 months without a vehicle for a '23 tracer. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×