No 2023 Yamaha 9GT+ for USA?

Warchild

News to me...  really, no 2023 Tracer for us?

"Yamaha will offer its most sophisticated Tracer to date for 2023 with the new Tracer 9 GT+. The revised sport-touring machine gets numerous electronic upgrades augmenting engine, suspension, and braking performance along with a few creature comfort enhancements. As of this writing, Yamaha has no plans to release the 2023 model in the States; riders outside the USA can expect to see the machine in dealerships starting in May 2023."

https://www.motorcyclistonline.com/story/news/yamaha-tracer-9-gt-plus-first-look-preview-2023/

• Thumbsup 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Similarly, someone recently posted (not sure where) that Yamaha is unsure whether the 2023 GT+ will be sold in Australia. They ended up booking a 2023 white 9GT for delivery.

The question is, who decides what models are sold where? I imagine it's probably the importers and dealers since they have to deal with service, training, warranty, floor plan costs, marketing and more.

I expect that Yamaha manufacturing is happy to ship product to any dealer on the planet so long as they get paid.

I'm also assuming that the bikes are essentially the same in different markets so that manufacturing for EU is as easy as for US or AU and so on. Is that a reasonable assumption?

Edited by ZigMerid

Yamaha is no more expensive than the other 3 Japanese OEM's, and this is too good of a seller to not have in the states.......it will be here.

Edited by Ride365
  • Thumbsup 2

58 minutes ago, Ride365 said:

Yamaha is no more expensive than the other 3 Japanese OEM's, and this is too good of a seller to not have in the states.......it will be here.

I agree with this thought ... but I have no information.  It's surprising to read the above statement that the 9GT is not intended for US in '23.

I looked at, sat on, but did not ride, a '22 9GT in a showroom not too long ago.  The salesman told us the new year model was coming in soon, but that 'they are already claimed'.  I wouldn't trust the guy to tell me much more than the color of the bike I was sitting on ...

• Haha 1

• Supporting Member
11 hours ago, Warchild said:

News to me...  really, no 2023 Tracer for us?

As of this writing, Yamaha has no plans to release the 2023 model in the States;

That would be a shame as it seems like Yamaha finally addressed all of the Tracers issues and have refined it to a near-perfect package.

IF that remains true, maybe they will test sales in Europe for 2023 and then release it as a 2024 or 2025 model?  I also own a Honda VFR1200X which was available for 3 years in Europe before being released in NA.

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

6 hours ago, SlowBo said:

I looked at, sat on, but did not ride, a '22 9GT in a showroom not too long ago.  The salesman told us the new year model was coming in soon, but that 'they are already claimed'.  I wouldn't trust the guy to tell me much more than the color of the bike I was sitting on ...

I did not even bother to sit on the one in the showroom, but aside from that we are of the same mind, especially in confidence in the salesman. 😁 I am waiting to try the 2023 and hope that the initial reports by MCO are wrong. The 2023 has one of the deal-breakers for me (dash) eliminated, so I'd try the seat. But if they push the price up into BMW territory it will not sell.

Regards, Grumpy Goat | 2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT & 2016 BMW R1200RS

16 hours ago, betoney said:

IF that remains true, maybe they will test sales in Europe for 2023 and then release it as a 2024

I freely admit i could be spouting nonsense and talking through my arse end without any notion of finding out fact from fiction.... But, could Yamaha be testing the reliability of their adaptive cruise control on the Nations that don't have a compensation culture and the ability to generate huge compensation payouts if something goes horribly wrong before releasing the bike to the USA.

Just a few thoughts to generate some argument and I stand ready to revise my opinion when I am in possession of the facts.

• Thumbsup 6
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Ride365 said:

I recently attended the motorbike show in Birmingham (UK) and sat on the 2023 model. My initial reaction was WOW!  The seat felt like it was designed for humans, the new display looks as good, if not better, than a Ducati, the terrible thumb wheel on the right bar has been replaced by a joystick on the left bar (really easy to use) and even the paintwork looked high quality. The price was pretty reasonable in my view for what you’re getting - £1,000 more than the ‘22 model at £13,100 (around US$16,000). I’ve been fairly happy with my 2018 900 GT but this new model may provide the impetus for me to change. I sincerely hope you guys in the US and Canada get it as it really is a massive step forward. 

• Thumbsup 6

5 hours ago, Paddy01 said:

I recently attended the motorbike show in Birmingham (UK) and sat on the 2023 model. My initial reaction was WOW!  The seat felt like it was designed for humans, the new display looks as good, if not better, than a Ducati, the terrible thumb wheel on the right bar has been replaced by a joystick on the left bar (really easy to use) and even the paintwork looked high quality. The price was pretty reasonable in my view for what you’re getting - £1,000 more than the ‘22 model at £13,100 (around US$16,000). I’ve been fairly happy with my 2018 900 GT but this new model may provide the impetus for me to change. I sincerely hope you guys in the US and Canada get it as it really is a massive step forward. 

Good to hear your initial thoughts on the 2023, especially the bit about the seat. Looking at the pictures it still looks curved but if they have reduced the curve and the tendency to slide into the tank then maybe I will get along with it. 

One of the things I like about my 2019 Tracer 900GT is where it is positioned on the pricing scale. I expect to be seriously in the market for my final bike in a couple of years (as I am heading towards retirement, and don't have time or resources to be buying bikes) so Yamaha better sh*t or get off the pot by then regarding design and bringing the bike to the US. I already have a Triple Black GS in mind and a new Tracer could be a competitor, but not if the price keeps getting close to BMW prices. Yes, it has a lot of tech (which I like) but as much as I like ACC in my Golf, I don't want to pay for it on a bike.

• Thumbsup 2

Regards, Grumpy Goat | 2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT & 2016 BMW R1200RS

• Supporting Member
8 hours ago, HGP61 said:

I freely admit i could be spouting nonsense and talking through my arse end without any notion of finding out fact from fiction....

When posting on the internet... NEVER let facts get in the way.  😄😄

• Thumbsup 2
  • Haha 1

• Supporting Member
8 hours ago, HGP61 said:

could Yamaha be testing the reliability of their adaptive cruise control on the Nations that don't have a compensation culture and the ability to generate huge compensation payouts if something goes horribly wrong before releasing the bike to the USA.

That sounds perfectly reasonable.  For now I'm going to remain optimistic... until Yamaha crushes my dreams. 

• Thumbsup 2
  • Haha 2

Seems like I recall Yam doing similar with the advent of the FJR.  They announced the bike would not be sold in the U.S.  Then later relented, saying they would import only to specific buyers who had put down a deposit.  A little while later they apparently dropped all resistance and the FJRs started appearing on showroom floors in the U.S.

That's how I remember it...

• Thumbsup 1

My bike has been my daily driver for the last 7 years. I am just now able to hop on a new bike after totaling my '19 tracer 900 GT back on Valentine's day. I decided to hold out for the '23 tracer, especially after reading all of the improvements. I wasn't a fan of the '21 or '22. 

If they don't release a '23 tracer next summer I'm just gonna settle for something else. 

Sad because I'm willing to wait out another 6-8 months without a vehicle for a '23 tracer. 

• Sad 1

In the history of motorcycle manufactures it has been somewhat common for model years to be skipped.  Also some years models didn't sell well and new inventory could be bought for a couple of years afterwards.  Bought my 2014 Kawasaki ZX^r 636 ABS in February 2016 and it was a new 2014.  During January and February of 2016 I ran across a number of 2014 and even a 2013 model or two that were new but unsold bikes.  

Did a little looking and at a glance looks like big differences Between GT+ and GT are display and ACC.  The standard GT still has the twin 3.5" displays.  To me the 2023 Tracer 9 GT looks very much like the 2022 model with the semi-active suspension.  Not sure about the seat etc.  I can understand avoiding litigious societies with the ACC but why abandon it all together?  The Tracer 900 GT seems to be a popular bike in the US.

My 2020 is doing just fine and only has 26,000 miles on it but if I put another 12,000 to 15,000 on it this year I'll be thinking about a replacement.  I'm happy with the current performance in that it is soft enough and well damped for 65+ speeds on interstates and secondary roads for those long days but still firm enough for fun in the corners even fully loaded.  Guess I'll sit on the sidelines until 2024 and hope they put the single screen on the standard GT.  I do lots of long distance riding but really don't want ACC and the linked brakes.  I could live with the linked brakes but want to be in complete control in more dense traffic.  In heavy traffic I usually get in the left lane and "go with the flow" only pulling over the let the crazy fast folks by.  I do not want ACC suddenly braking because someone cut in from of me and it has to get the follow distance back.  I'm very conscious of those behind me and worry about being hit from behind as much as anything.  There are some stretches on Interstate like I80 across Nebraska where it would be nice but my normal CC works just fine.

• Thumbsup 1