No 2023 Yamaha 9GT+ for USA?

Warchild

I continue to immensely enjoy my '22 T9GT I bought for $12,249 at the end of September ... was lucky ... delaer had gotten delivery of 7 redline T9GT and was worried he wouldn't sell them before winter so he knocked $3k off, sold four including mine and then raised the price to $13,999 again .... anyways ... if I had to shop for a bike again today I probably would go with the Suzi GSX-s 1000 GT+

• Thumbsup 4

21 hours ago, PhotoAl said:

In the history of motorcycle manufactures it has been somewhat common for model years to be skipped.  Also some years models didn't sell well and new inventory could be bought for a couple of years afterwards.  Bought my 2014 Kawasaki ZX^r 636 ABS in February 2016 and it was a new 2014.  During January and February of 2016 I ran across a number of 2014 and even a 2013 model or two that were new but unsold bikes.  

Did a little looking and at a glance looks like big differences Between GT+ and GT are display and ACC.  The standard GT still has the twin 3.5" displays.  To me the 2023 Tracer 9 GT looks very much like the 2022 model with the semi-active suspension.  Not sure about the seat etc.  I can understand avoiding litigious societies with the ACC but why abandon it all together?  The Tracer 900 GT seems to be a popular bike in the US.

My 2020 is doing just fine and only has 26,000 miles on it but if I put another 12,000 to 15,000 on it this year I'll be thinking about a replacement.  I'm happy with the current performance in that it is soft enough and well damped for 65+ speeds on interstates and secondary roads for those long days but still firm enough for fun in the corners even fully loaded.  Guess I'll sit on the sidelines until 2024 and hope they put the single screen on the standard GT.  I do lots of long distance riding but really don't want ACC and the linked brakes.  I could live with the linked brakes but want to be in complete control in more dense traffic.  In heavy traffic I usually get in the left lane and "go with the flow" only pulling over the let the crazy fast folks by.  I do not want ACC suddenly braking because someone cut in from of me and it has to get the follow distance back.  I'm very conscious of those behind me and worry about being hit from behind as much as anything.  There are some stretches on Interstate like I80 across Nebraska where it would be nice but my normal CC works just fine.

Loved my '19. Not fond of the squidworth dash (almost a deal breaker) excited to try the hopped up engine. What I was really looking forward to was the BT connectivity so I can finally see my map and maybe the emergency brake assist. If it works as well as advertised and my '19 had it maybe it would have saved me a broken arm, dislocated hand and 110 and counting physical therapy visits... Maybe. 

• Thumbsup 1

9 hours ago, FarmForce said:

I continue to immensely enjoy my '22 T9GT I bought for $12,249 at the end of September ... was lucky ... delaer had gotten delivery of 7 redline T9GT and was worried he wouldn't sell them before winter so he knocked $3k off, sold four including mine and then raised the price to $13,999 again .... anyways ... if I had to shop for a bike again today I probably would go with the Suzi GSX-s 1000 GT+

After I posted my comment actually went and looked at a comparison review of the Ninja 1000 and the Suzuki 1000 xyzzy.  They said the Ninja handled better in tighter corners where the Suzuki was good in big sweepers but not the tighter stuff.  That surprised me a bit but the lack of center stand kills the Suzuki for me.  

@Bimbim18I'm with you on the Bluetooth.  Seems like it is not that hard and it makes such a difference.  Hard to say if emergency braking would have made a difference but still think its a good safety feature.  

Yamaha shows no 2023 9GT at all for the US market on the their site; every other model ( dual-sport to sportbike) shows a 2023 version...looks like it's true then, we ain't gonna see the '23

It doesn't surprise me that we won't see any '23 models here in the US for at least 2 reasons. First being that at least in the Seattle area, most dealers received their '22 models late this year so now there's an excess of inventory. I lucked out getting my '22 mid summer which at the time was hard to get.  Second, with the inventory I think dealers would want to see how the European and other markets fare on the new model before bringing it over, so maybe at the earliest we'll see the new models in '24.

1 hour ago, robzilla said:

most dealers received their '22 models late this year so now there's an excess of inventory

Yeah I have at LEAST 5 '22 within 20 miles of me. But zero middle weight bikes, the 500-700's got hit HARD and are still going strong.

• Thumbsup 1

On 11/30/2022 at 12:42 PM, Larz said:

Yamaha shows no 2023 9GT at all for the US market on the their site; every other model ( dual-sport to sportbike) shows a 2023 version...looks like it's true then, we ain't gonna see the '23

Nothing for Canada.

• Supporting Member
3 hours ago, ZigMerid said:

It might be more promising in Australia as their web site is showing just the black and white models now.

White is only available in the 2023 release, correct?

https://www.yamaha-motor.com.au/products/motorcycle/road/sport-touring

The model shown has twin screens, so maybe '22?

1 hour ago, Heli ATP said:

The model shown has twin screens, so maybe '22?

As I understand it, the plain 2023 9GT still has twin screens. The 9GT+, which is new in 2023, has the single screen along with a few other goodies.

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, ZigMerid said:

As I understand it, the plain 2023 9GT still has twin screens. The 9GT+, which is new in 2023, has the single screen along with a few other goodies.

If that is the case, then that is a dumb marketing move since the people who are not buying it because of the dash (and other things) will not spend the extra to get the GT+ unless they care about ACC. They will lose the sale for those who don't.

I was very tempted for 5 minutes last Friday after I took look at a mint-condition low miles 2019 Triumph Tiger 1200 Alpine Edition, complete with Triumph panniers. A little more off-road capable than any Tracer, should I need the occasional jaunt off the tarmac, and it has more bells and whistles. But they wanted $17k and after I took it for a test ride, I decided that right now my Tracer was a better fit. It was taller and drove like a bus in Road mode vs my Tracer in Standard mode.

A 2023 Tracer 9GT+ for me would be a darned tempting bike as long as it comes to the US and is not ridiculously priced.

• Thumbsup 1

Regards, Grumpy Goat | 2019 Yamaha Tracer 900 GT & 2016 BMW R1200RS

On 11/28/2022 at 7:22 AM, FarmForce said:

Yeah that was a good price on the Tracer.  I got a $1k discount on mine because the dealer had three 21s on his floor and had been sitting there for a few weeks unsold.  Like your dealer, after these three sold, the price went back up and they now fetch an additional $1300 dealer premium.  With CA taxes, my OTD was $17,500.  Ouch.

I do love the bike, but like you I would seriously consider trading it for the Suzuki.  If I could afford it.

• Thumbsup 1

1 hour ago, KrustyKush said:

Yeah that was a good price on the Tracer............ With CA taxes, my OTD was $17,500.  Ouch.

🤑Nash powersports in Mesa wants 18K OTD for a 2022 Red 9GT🤑 that's after applying a $500 gift card offer🤣

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Larz said:

🤑Nash powersports in Mesa wants 18K OTD for a 2022 Red 9GT🤑 that's after applying a $500 gift card offer🤣

Insane!   Check out Cycle Trader. There is a dealer in Ca selling bew T9GT for 11,900 right now and others across the nation coming down in the 12 k range. I drove 1080 miles from NC to Cleveland to pick mine up.

• Thumbsup 2