All quiet on the Western Front

1 hour ago, Warchild said:

which is demoralizing on a long road trip when you pull in the gas station on fumes.

You might get used to that feeling on long trips with the range of the MT-10. Seriously though it is a fantastic looking bike  and it will be very difficult to feel demoralized when you are out on it and experiencing that power delivery.

• Thumbsup 2

• Premium Member

643lbs, wet?  I presume with you aboard?

the 23 MT10 on one hand gets better mileage but for Euro 5 they've neutered it in certain scenarios.   There's a good review of the 23 in RRN&T by Fleming of AOD endurance fame.

I  did the same thing with my VTR1000F, which stock is much sportier than an MT10. Made it into a comparative couch but range was always the main issue, which I significantly mitigated by building my own +1 gallon tank.  Unfortunately my prostate never let me drain it before I needed to drain my bladder.  Now I could since my last surgery but for my hips and neck crying fowl within an hour.

Yes, keep us apprised as to your progress.

BTW, MRW makes adjustable footpegs in their Vario line.

58 minutes ago, 2and3cylinders said:

643lbs, wet?  I presume with you aboard?

Ack, I transposed the first two numbers.... wet weight (full tank of  gas) is 463 lbs.

the 23 MT10 on one hand gets better mileage but for Euro 5 they've neutered it in certain scenarios.   There's a good review of the 23 in RRN&T by Fleming of AOD endurance fame.

At first, I did have a 2023 MT10 on order.

Then I did more research... why is it that I can not find any serious aftermarket luggage for the 2022-2023 MT10s? 🤔 There is one lightweight offering from Hepco and Becker, otherwise - nothing! Further research revealed the problem - Yamaha has inexplicably removed the four hard mounting points on the rear MT10 subframe starting with the 2022 model year. WTF?!  😖

This image below shows four red arrows pointing to mount points on the pre-2022 MT10 subframe:

pre2022SubFrame.jpg.7e6ee75752a0fe1da99ec9eea2a92a6c.jpg

And as we see in this drawing of the same subframe for '22-'23 MT10s... hard mounting lugs have been removed. YGTBSM. 😥

2022-2023RearSubFrame.jpg.6dc32aae12bedf2816fef2f29e3c0672.jpg

So while it is a complete bummer that I can't enjoy all those snazzy new electronics, the TFT instrument panel, ect, on the newer MT10s... I have to have strong, robust side and rear racks. Rear rack will be carrying the 4.3 gallon aux fuel cell, so it obviously must be beefy and strong. 

Going with Givi for both side and top racks - they are beefy enough. Shad was a close contender, too.

• Thumbsup 1

1 hour ago, HGP61 said:

You might get used to that feeling on long trips with the range of the MT-10. 

This is how I am addressing that problem... this is a 4.3 gallon gravity-feed auxiliary fuel cell currently on the BMW; it will migrate over to the MT10. But that still only yields a combined 8.3 gallons - so, maybe 210 miles before the low fuel light illuminates:

backFromWarrantyWork.thumb.jpg.0f3a295d8f620e1e11348d40a9a55d37.jpg

My aux cell fabricator also wants to cut the MT10's factory tank and enlarge it by 1.5 gallons. I am considering it.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, Warchild said:

This is how I am addressing that problem... this is a 4.3 gallon gravity-feed auxiliary fuel cell currently on the BMW; it will migrate over to the MT10. But that still only yields a combined 8.3 gallons - so, maybe 210 miles before the low fuel light illuminates:

My aux cell fabricator also wants to cut the MT10's factory tank and enlarge it by 1.5 gallons. I am considering it.

Looking forward to following progress on this project, very cool!!  👍🏻

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
4 hours ago, Warchild said:

A quality craftsman can do wonders with that, and make it look reasonably well integrated into the bike.   We had a massive tank on our ZX9 endurance race bike (dry breaks and all), but it looked good and didn't interfere with the riding position/experience...    Riding a 90+ minute race stint in the Texas summer heat was BRUTAL, but the Queen Mary fuel capacity allowed it.  

I'm going to follow this thread with great interest.   I really feel like an MT-10 inspired sport-tourer direct from the factory (along the lines of Suzuki's GSX-S 1000 GT) would be an instant hit worldwide. 

• Thumbsup 5
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, 1moreroad said:

I can still fit in my 2003 leathers but I'm not sure how far out I could swing my hip to get a knee down. And forget about the chest pad. 

My in tent pee cup from 2003 is now woefully inadequate. You sir are a justified braggard!

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
29 minutes ago, TomTracer said:

My in tent pee cup from 2003 is now woefully inadequate. You sir are a justified braggard!

Huh?!

I know someone very well who after his 4th prostate surgery a year ago can now go 5 even 6 hours without having to get up through the night for the first time in 30 years!

Is that what you were inferring?

Success is having to take 2 steps back from the bowl or get blowback from one's jetstream!

• Haha 1

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, Warchild said:

I have the same pattern garage door! LOL

Shot of FJ is at end of first day of ownership with garage door open...  170 miles down with 430 to go to let em rip.

Possibly didn't end up waiting till then, wink wink, nudge nudge.  Maybe there was one ride where it was ridden like it was stolen well before 600 arrived.  A Fastest Red just eggs you on.

In 2 more outings it was at 661 miles and had it's 2nd oil change and first filter swap.  I like to rinse out fresh motors ASAP; before 200 miles.  I changed the oil in my 98 VTR at 60 miles, and it now has just a few more on the original untouched engine, which continues to just keep grunting deceptively past a ton with only a bit of stress possibly apparent.  Knock on plastic.  At it's last vacuum leak-down test I did maybe 5,000 ago it was still holding at less than 5% loss dry.

Built a "Big Tank" for him; added a gallon which was still not enough for him as he seldom can do over maybe 33 mpg.  Which will become very familiar to you.

The beauty of having carburetors is I fit a 2.5 gallon gas can in my Ventura tail bag modified to gravity feed; hose of course was routed with a second petcock on left side with QD fittings.

Then there's my Turtle-Back extended range version you see in a couple of pics.

PS, I had to add red to my 88 NT650 Hawk Gt.  66,000 miles and I sold it for more than I paid for it new.  Which I sadly regret doing.  Same for my 72 H2 Mach IV.  I had another set of chambers for it with2.5" ID x 12" slip-on aluminum straight-thru mufflers.  What a paint-shaker it was.  Widow Maker for sure even with a damper, springs, damper work and Koni shocks.

FLC 88 BA Hawk GT L.jpg

FLC BA VTR.jpg

20160625_192439.jpg

20160625_192506.jpg

20160703_185306.jpg

20221030_184013.jpg

VTR Big Tank After End Vw.jpg

VTR Big Tank After Top Vw.jpg

Long Range VTR Rolling.jpg

Long Range VTR Watching.jpg

P0005385.JPG

72  BA Kawi H2.jpg