2019 Cam Chain Tensioner Install

vincep

Reinstalling the CCT on a 2019 Tracer.

I have searched here - found good advice to modify a hex key to retract the mechanism - thanks @keithu

The 2019 looks a little different to the one above, but seems similar. 

image.png.4810f22dd3a5db07773add1cc1bf9488.png

When retracted, if I remove the hex key it springs out to full length - I assume this is how it is designed.  Can anyone confirm that?

2019 manual has the same installation instructions as @keithu above states.  Install retracted with hex key in, clockwise until it contacts the chain guide, then an additional 1/4 turn.

image.thumb.png.6af4d21720223cd49b03d647bfc0f47c.png

Can anyone confirm that this is what everyone has been doing?

Thanks,

Vince

Yes, follow the instructions in the manual. 
The reason it has to be wound CW after initial installation is to put pressure on the cam chain. This tensioner design doesn’t sufficiently tension the chain on its own once installed and released. It won’t “spring out” inside the engine like it does in your hand.
It’s difficult to feel sometimes when the tensioner is “contacting the chain guide” especially at the cam installation position.  I monitor the deflection on the intake sprocket as it drops down toward the tensioner to know when I’m close.  I also use a zip tie on the intake cam to help the chain stay on the sprocket. 

Member @2and3cylinders is an advocate for pulling the pickup coil cover so you can watch the lower run of the cam chain, but this may cost you a gasket. also more work than necessary, IMHO. 

-Skip  

@Yamajank I think the CCT on our bikes (2019 900 GT) have a pretty good history for reliability, so I do not think you have any concerns there.

On the earlier bikes with this engine there were some issues.

My question above was more about how the one on our bike operates.  I had it out to do the valves - probably little need for you to be concerned about it unless you are adjusting the valves.

• Like 1