How many miles ridden annually?

maximNikenGT

How many miles do you ride in a typical year?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. How many miles ridden annually

• Fewer than 1000 miles
    • 1000-3000 miles
    • 3001-6000 miles
    • 6001-10,000 miles
    • More than 10,000 miles annually

5 hours ago, maximNikenGT said:

...could be the cost of petrol is much higher in Europe.

Apologies, but I think you are overlooking geography: you can ride across all of Europe ( excluding Russia) in 4 days or so. It would take more than a week just to ride across all of the Western states in the US even at Iron Butt levels.....

• Supporting Member
On 12/13/2022 at 3:35 AM, Larz said:

Apologies, but I think you are overlooking geography: you can ride across all of Europe ( excluding Russia) in 4 days or so. It would take more than a week just to ride across all of the Western states in the US even at Iron Butt levels.....

Very good point. You bring up an interesting nuance of Iron Butt. Iron Butt in the USA at least it would all be in English, am curious if anyone has actually completed an Iron Butt with Europe as your primary target region.

Just not sure how much time it takes to clear borders and cover the distance required to qualify for Iron Butt in Europe. It's hard enough to qualify in the USA for Iron Butt without border controls and language changes. 

Just took a peek at the Ironbutt.org website and saw all the crazy levels of IronButt certification one could get. Didn't realize how crazy some of the rides are. Super crazy one was the Around the World Club which was a Ride around the entire globe... 

Ride List (ironbutt.com)

Edited by maximNikenGT
removed photo

2019 Niken GT
"Motorcycles - the brand is not important, the fact that you ride is."

• 1 month later...
On 12/9/2022 at 7:14 PM, whisperquiet said:

Over 30,000 miles so far this year and over 34,000 miles in 2021.  I have ridden 20,000+ miles for 17 years straight including this year and my goal is twenty consecutive 20,000 mile riding years.

I am currently down to one motorcycle after selling my Tracer 900 GT in the summer and selling my Tenere 700 last month.  So, I have been piling the miles on my Super Tenere.

That is some serious mileage!  Do you ride daily?  Just curious how you pack on those miles.  Is some of that commuting back and forth to work, or are you retired and pleasure riding daily? 

I am retired but only ride about 10,000 miles a year, April through October.  Definitely a fair weather rider.  This year I hope to do more!!

• Thumbsup 3

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

12 hours ago, johnmark101 said:

That is some serious mileage!  Do you ride daily?  Just curious how you pack on those miles.  Is some of that commuting back and forth to work, or are you retired and pleasure riding daily? 

I am retired but only ride about 10,000 miles a year, April through October.  Definitely a fair weather rider.  This year I hope to do more!!

I am retired and ride every chance I get.  I take several bike trips a year which last year accounted for almost 12,000 miles and have at least 12-13,000 miles of trips scheduled for 2023 with several friends.  I live in the St. Louis, MO area and have had mostly mild, minimal snow winters for several years allowing year round riding.  

My riding goal when retired was to ride at least 20,000 miles per year for twenty years straight.  This is my 18th year and still on goal.  My big year was 2017 with a little over 36,000 bike riding miles…….mostly on a Super Tenere.

Edited by whisperquiet
  • Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

• Supporting Member
21 hours ago, biggo said:

I average around 20,000 Km,s per year over my Bikes all leisure .   

Here is Cert For Iron Butt Ride I did on my Niken

3hSjArC_-pv044FPRfNsA59cKTypM1iekY7inN_7OjGGNqKIlRg72oJH4OQ-OECVc22sb7QyUTIL_bT2key_4-GR4Vyfp9zrKS3N6IWfQ4sq5GBcgHBreE2OzfzivdJeIg_Sli2D13ngkeKL0LKhNXwCkD3mmRtCg42LHMQUA2pDthk3NxRfa7XQykyyRKahtJaLc9bKPfJkoqgrof8M6cw4PElGe282Qy3S5raBcTAq4HjJMUUPsvV5C0xX6qzjuUJpon7DUp-eyRV8YL4IqZ3ybYJqAO8PAjv7zcGF3DCfRALwx__Nb0U2ovBsuc8727Fgnjsudd-Xf7Uaq7GERB0C5b1B2JxHNDXBn2Hlz2qsn25T9Dc1Qn65nOOsgYqyMqv0INjjmWIUUAfofQu_Sjmxkj6KTEkWfSOGPGu30Cy8_41MtiYjkhhlujISAqtQDzI7w3OmsyIaUjrs20n21X9g1ZbEIjnpuyK8dsSJRjlqxxy2zRkVWKNbwPKOW21RxYOY6o9Jn5ElemhxvcBSDAEo9VhBpQIjgKtAGmyFtjmp7Ow2RoyTgenMidJCWCWR3YJkjw-rsOxm2y0Dmi5V3yEOnxoc2gF_5AvWkAvcQdo0TMSHPVn79EaRIOwnssuLYRUNbe3DCbmE-GT2-vuFC3k89z7qFIqp0Po7PcO80rQLllmY3xmWEULD2DxY-ES-TXHghKBmHfpVVCH4RgucMKq1p-T_oDPE3rjWgJQ9y53A7fRJWo4gHiZKPNeR3RKlYQ8jYLh3GzsPZCUfBhxyreD2Tw3IWOb4L41SOR5RJPaX2zzXmwbDu36kPtb2_GO3Owys2ej7biZVOay5T5gOw_0R_6BdCXMFXkIffFv77N5yOSjaaeg4-cPgyRYuZPbXSpy3VVAf4QQyf9_C1QZUXCiSOksipfZq5W2Vea82cPcfrQ=w687-h932-no?authuser=0

I'm curious now as to how many Nikens have actually been used to complete an Iron Butt? Yours is the first Niken I've heard of in this...

2019 Niken GT
"Motorcycles - the brand is not important, the fact that you ride is."

On 1/17/2023 at 7:47 PM, whisperquiet said:

I am retired and ride every chance I get.  I take several bike trips a year which last year accounted for almost 12,000 miles and have at least 12-13,000 miles of trips scheduled for 2023 with several friends.  I live in the St. Louis, MO area and have had mostly mild, minimal snow winters for several years allowing year round riding.  

My riding goal when retired was to ride at least 20,000 miles per year for twenty years straight.  This is my 18th year and still on goal.  My big year was 2017 with a little over 36,000 bike riding miles…….mostly on a Super Tenere.

That's awesome.  I retired in 2018 at 56 years of age.  I take two or three road trips a year down to the TN,NC and GA mountains, and lots of local rides.  Fortunately, we have some great twisties here in central KY. 

If I were to ride as much as you, I might end up in divorce court!  😆

Edited by johnmark101
  • Thumbsup 1

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

Usually around 3k-5k on the bikes and another 2k on the snowmobiles.

I do a fair amount of fishing/camping in the summers and that eats into my available motorcycle time. 

Rides tend to be in that 15mi - 150mi range. I've never really enjoyed doing big miles.

I put on 14-15,000 miles a year on my BMW F800GT.  Contrary to what Betoney wrote, we have good riding weather all year long.  ;)  As a woman rider once wrote, if you don't ride in the rain, you don't ride in Seattle.  Not exactly correct, but I've always remembered what she said.  I'm a firm believer in the adage that there's no such thing as bad weather, just bad gear.

In the summer like Betoney said, the Cascades and the passes are open for some fantastic riding.  In the winter months, I head down to the coast to the beaches.  There's lots of beaches to explore at the end of some low traveled twisty lowland roads.

Chris

Last few years on V Strom 650 about 30-33 000 km annually which comes to about 20 000 miles (and that’s ON, Canada). 2020 42 000km (26 000miles) on my last 2017 V Strom 650XT and year later (2021) I broke my personal record with 43 000km (26 700 miles) on my first 2017 FJ09 before I broke my wrist and couldn’t ride until May 2022 (from the end of October). It could’ve been couple of thousands more lol. Have I mentioned that last 2 years that  happened thanks to the Covid?

Edited by Rick123