heated gear (liners etc)

wanderer

Warm&Safe guy here.  Yes you can.  Also recommended to wash by hand and air dry.  Wires are soldered at some point together if you have heating wires, or the modern ones have carbon pad elements.  My W&S has been folded ever which way..... but never abused.

• Thumbsup 4
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I ruined a aerostich liner by washing it in a machine on normal. Pissed me off as they aren't cheap. I loved it but they are now way too expensive to replace. 

• Thanks 1

Everything is simple, Nothing is easy

Warm and Safe here also.  It has been folded and packed in the innermost part of a side case many times but always works.  I'm careful how I pack it and do not force it to fold.  The wires have connections and joints so try and keep those from being stressed or bent.  Always take it on long trips as weather can be unpredictable.  Last trip was 18 days and it has been on a few other trips so folded and packed multiple times.  LOL best way to encounter cold weather is to leave it at home!

• Thumbsup 5

• Premium Member

Another W&S user.  Their jackets come with a pack pouch that's about 8"x10" IIRC.   I hand wash with NikWax wash.  One of the best gear investments you can make!

I have even used my heated liner and gloves while doing snow removal on my Kubota tractor.

• Supporting Member

Santa brought me a pair of these...they seem fairly robust.  Fold gently, hand wash, air dry.

20221225_215746.thumb.jpg.9d01a3479361d3bb7d5023c975c56814.jpg

• Thumbsup 2

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

On 12/11/2022 at 11:30 AM, wanderer said:

I have a question on heated gear, like Gerbing heater jacket liners. Can you fold or stuff the gear into a bag (when not in use) without damaging the heating element wiring? It seems like the wiring would crimp and fail.

I use Gerbings, and I've never had an element fail after stuffing into a saddle bag. Seems like you could, tho, if you folded it and pressed hard on it. I typically loosely roll it and pop it in the trunk or bag. 

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current

• Premium Member
On 12/11/2022 at 1:56 PM, RaYzerman said:

Warm&Safe guy here.  Yes you can.  Also recommended to wash by hand and air dry.  Wires are soldered at some point together if you have heating wires, or the modern ones have carbon pad elements.  My W&S has been folded ever which way..... but never abused.

Venture AddHeat liner here - basically, the standard liner that comes identically in a million different brands, and has an integral heat controller.

I've owned it for about 5 years, and I've utterly abused it.  I cram it into saddlebags, tailbag, etc without the slightest thought to protecting it, and it's always been fine. I've only ever hand washed it though, and that only... twice?  Regardless, it still works as well as the day I bought it.  Definitely not a fragile thing. 

• Thumbsup 1

12 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

I've only ever hand washed it though, and that only... twice?  

Wait, you wash them? I've always believed that the built-up crud helps preserve the integrity of the garment. 

• Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 1

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, maximo said:

Wait, you wash them? I've always believed that the built-up crud helps preserve the integrity of the garment. 

My thoughts exactly.  A liner is worn over a base layer and under a jacket meaning it doesn't touch your skin, get sweaty or covered in bugs.  Even hand washed, I personally wouldn't subject something with electrical contacts or heating elements to water.

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
11 minutes ago, Ride365 said:

I'm debating getting a heated vest, been throwing that idea around for years now, still not convinced of the best one to get.

There are many good options out there, I personally have a Tourmaster Synergy Pro-Plus Vest and it works very well, especially the heated collar!!! 

I find that I can only use it when it is BITTER cold as it gets VERY hot, it has 5 heat levels and I have never been able to get past level 2, 99% of the time I use level 1. 

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***