Aux connector 2015 model availability - the square one?

dazzler24

• Supporting Member

Does anyone know if there is readily available the connector or pigtail that fits the square aux socket behind the screen on the 2015 model??  It's the same one that is utilised by the OEM 12V (cigarette lighter style) socket.

I've looked high and low and the only place that I've found one is a French Ebay site!  Surely they are a common type of connector?!  Finding it seems to be very elusive - for me at least.

And yes, I've utilised the other two (different type) connectors that are available.

This one

The one marked 'F2'

image.png.1d607ecdfebe54e31aa64fdd4cb26980.png

I'm wanting one for the black socket....

image.thumb.png.7a62da9dd9b98390756dd7c168452336.png

I know I could just cut it off and put on a different connector and if it comes to that then that's what I'll do but if I can keep it OEM I'd prefer to do that.

I've checked out the usual outlets like 'Eastern Beaver' e.g. but no joy - unless, like my wife says, I had a man look. 🙄

• Premium Member
  • Supporting Member
10 hours ago, sirepair said:

8 hours ago, Tusk said:

+1 for Cycle Terminal. I've used this site to get connectors for old Hondas and to modify/add accessories without hacking the wiring harness. 

4 hours ago, bwringer said:

Eastern Beaver has tons of OEM Japanese connectors and parts, along with decent close-ups of the connectors and shells.

https://easternbeaver.com/Main/Elec__Products/Connectors/connectors.html

Worth a look.

Thanks guys for those suggestions but unfortunately they were my first point of calls for these things.  I've sourced other connectors from Eastern Beaver on more than one occasion with great success but this one eludes me and I can't see the one that I'm chasing on either of those sites??  It's classed as an unsealed connector and I've scoured them all without success.

If someone can see it and point me at it I'll be happy to be proven wrong and declared legally blind.

This is a photo of mine i.e. the one that plugs into the white connector (same thing for the black one).

image.thumb.jpeg.56e4152d295982b1fcba44052e91d608.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.a8dfaee661d4ddf578ce754197d4bc66.jpeg

7 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

I just crimped some insulated female connectors onto the wires (from my dual USB-A / LED volt meter) that fit OEM spades in that plug.  

Thanks 2&3.  I've seen in another thread where someone did exactly that and while not preferred (for me) I'm thinking that that might be the answer at this stage.

Cheers all. 👍

• Supporting Member

@dazzler24 - So, there is always the option of sacrificing an accessory power outlet just to scavenge the plug…  given my aversion to cutting up the factory harness, I would 100% do that.   

I don’t know if Yamaha still sells the accessory power outlet as a parts option, but I’m pretty sure I’ve seen cheap copies online… eBay, I suspect.   Cut off the plug you need, and throw away the accessory… 

EDIT:  Is it worth $30 to get the right connector?  🤷‍♂️

https://www.ebay.com/p/1437326037

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
8 hours ago, texscottyd said:

@dazzler24 - So, there is always the option of sacrificing an accessory power outlet just to scavenge the plug…  given my aversion to cutting up the factory harness, I would 100% do that.   

I don’t know if Yamaha still sells the accessory power outlet as a parts option, but I’m pretty sure I’ve seen cheap copies online… eBay, I suspect.   Cut off the plug you need, and throw away the accessory… 

EDIT:  Is it worth $30 to get the right connector?  🤷‍♂️

https://www.ebay.com/p/1437326037

Ha!  You must have read my mind.

After my last post I thought that I'd have a rummage through all of my salvaged 'bits' to see what I had hidden away and there was the very accessory power outlet that you've mentioned.  I'd completely forgotten that I'd had it!

I put that down to 'old-timers' disease. 🤔

Anyway, I did indeed cut the connector off and it is now in service.  I too, avoid cutting up the factory harness as every change can be easily reversed if needed.

All four accessory outlets are now in play/use.

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1

• Supporting Member
6 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

What device do you now have on each?

I have the OEM cig power socket, radar detector plug, XT gps plug and mentioned dual USB power & volt meter.

All <2a load

Almost the same as you 2&3.

• OEM cig socket on the left (square plug)
  • USB power and voltmeter on the right (square plug)
  • Garmin Zumo XT gps. This cct does double duty as a voltage sense (key on) for the power supply for my DVR (crash cam)
  • NEW - 2 x small DRLs - they are rated at 1A@13.6v on the box but 0.3A@12v on the website??  They use a 5W CREE so I'm leaning toward the lower rating.  I have a plan 'B' if necessary.

This all started because one of my rear after market Yamaha combo indicator/tail/stop lights started failing and was impossible to repair.  I have the front matching ones that provide indicator and DRL function as well.

I decided to bite the bullet and replace all indicators and add front dedicated DRLs.

I've purchased from a brand called 'STEDI' and the price was reasonable (~$150AU)- which incidentally is less than the cost of one pair of those Yamaha indicators!.  The STEDI indicators are of the sequential (sweeping) type and while the DRLs are surprisingly tiny they appear to be very bright.

For anyone thinking about doing this I have a LED compatible flasher installed and that seems to work flawlessly with the sequential function of these indicators.  Can't vouch for the OEM flasher.

I have the self cancelling indicators device from STS installed too and I'm happy to report that they are compatible with these new indicators installed - at least while parked up.

Santa delivered them yesterday, just in-time before the Christmas delivery cutoff 👍, and they have all now been tested while hanging off the bike so today I'll button her up and be ready for some post Christmas freedom - as long as the weather is kind?!

Photo on the right shows the Yamaha front indicator/DRL combo for size comparison (bottom left)

image.png.fdbb1de5062f31c712b25747fa443c1d.png image.png.8054cc6cdbfc2bc9f34a4a7b947fa39c.png

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

Now just got to find a permanent place for those DRLs so they don't drown out the indicators!!  Can't believe how bright they are for such a small light!

Have I gained one safety measure only to inadvertently remove another??

Anyway, I'm sure I'll find a spot for them to live in harmony somewhere.

Merry Christmas, happy holidays, etc 🎄🎅

image.png.ee844374dda07f3b47669916989c1147.png

• Premium Member

How about on the lower triple tree, they'll pop even more being "shaded" and turn with the wheel!!!

How bout some shots of your XT mounting plz? 

• Supporting Member
12 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

How about on the lower triple tree, they'll pop even more being "shaded" and turn with the wheel!!!

How bout some shots of your XT mounting plz? 

Not a bad plan.  I'll have to check clearances.  Thanks.

Here's my XT mounting arrangement as requested.  This is before the screen has been mounted of course and I have been using a small piece of HD foam between it and the back of the mount to absorb any vibrations.

Seems to work well in that spot as my vision isn't taken too far off the road to see it and I can still see my instruments clearly as well.

image.thumb.jpeg.a5529fc55f16600197a6306291f7d0d4.jpeg

image.png.167e14a7a84e2fc88ecda28fd15cb421.png image.png.07206fd64921ff988a94b6c33c2450ad.png

• Premium Member

As Maxwell Smart was fond of saying "The old foam damper trick!"

The weather cover over my XT mount was hand-made of foam drawer liner by yours' truely.

It also has a QD micro plastic buckle tether.

The Givi Tour screen (with MRW Tour spoiler) mounting bracket uses spacers that also fit the OEM shield bracket, behind which the 2 heads up display slotted mounting rail brackets are sandwiched with the upper bolts. The rail can accommodate 3 small devices or the XT and Radar Detector. 

20221008_165042.jpg

20221008_171459.jpg

20221008_180317.jpg

20221008_181447.jpg

20221008_181622.jpg

20221008_184330.jpg

20221008_184431.jpg

• Thumbsup 1