Winter Blues

I am fortunate nowadays to have a garage at home in which to park my stuff.  It wasn't always like this.  For years I lived in apartments.  Bikes sat outside all day, all night, usually at a fair distance from my apartment.  In those days I used a NY Chain and a heavy lock to tie my two bikes together, or if I didn't have two bikes at the time I would chain it to a tree or lamppost, or just wrap the chain around a wheel.  Many of those years, I lived in Santa Fe NM, where property crime is huge, I mean huuuuuge.  Never had a problem with the bikes being well chained down.  Only time in my entire life a bike got stolen from me was a 1971 Yamaha RT350.  Some kid hot wired it off my back porch and took it out for a ride.  Cost me $30 in 1971 dollars to get it out of wrecker hock.  I was in the Army and only made $250 a month.  He tried it again a few days later but something interrupted him and he left the bike sitting in a field.  Other than that, never had a bike molested in all these years.

• Supporting Member
4 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

I live in suburbia my my bikes are in the Bret Cave 

Not worried today with a -23 WCF

LOL

CAN'T SAY MORE POOPOO

Sorry Bret but the weather here on Christmas Day and forecast - in celcius..........

image.png.d3e00153d04770d03f086cf640b967f2.png

Locks are designed to keep honest people honest and the thieves moving to an easier target. than being said I do carry the latest version of the Kryptonite disk lock and a their short thick wire cable. Mostly a show of strength. Anyone with a diamond bladed battery powered angle grinder can cut through these in about two minutes. But thieves are mostly creatures of convenience and would be harder pressed into spending the time and making that much noise for a cheap assed FJ09 or Tracer.  Harleys, Ducati's Beemers, wings, hyper sports bikes and custom. That's more in their wheelhouse.

• Thumbsup 1

Everything is simple, Nothing is easy

40 minutes ago, 2linby said:

Locks are designed to keep honest people honest and the thieves moving to an easier target. than being said I do carry the latest version of the Kryptonite disk lock and a their short thick wire cable. Mostly a show of strength. Anyone with a diamond bladed battery powered angle grinder can cut through these in about two minutes. But thieves are mostly creatures of convenience and would be harder pressed into spending the time and making that much noise for a cheap assed FJ09 or Tracer.  Harleys, Ducati's Beemers, wings, hyper sports bikes and custom. That's more in their wheelhouse.

In Minnesota, they drive around with stolen workvans and completely lift the bike up and in.

• Sad 1

• Supporting Member
3 hours ago, texscottyd said:

10 days off work, and I’m REALLY wanting to log some serious miles.  It’s looking like Wednesday may be the only solid option… ☹️

E5950B2F-83EC-43C2-BABB-52D9DC2958E5.thumb.jpeg.b1dfc30afdf2546f3440b0e2b80f0151.jpeg

After a recent ice storm here and several days sub-freezing as the daily high temperature, those days in the low 50's with sunshine sound wonderful to me.  Last Wednesday got up to 30F but Thursday had a daily high in the 20's.  🥶

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, betoney said:

those days in the low 50's with sunshine sound wonderful to me.

Yeah, after re-thinking this, maybe later afternoon rides are in order for early in the week.  The morning lows are a bit chilly for thin-blooded me, but sunny and 50+ works…

• Like 1

I absolutely despise winter here in central Kentucky for a number of reasons, one is which not being able to ride.  Wanted to move south after retirement but have too much family in this area to leave. 

At the slightest sign of snow or ice they dump huge amounts of salt on the roads here.  If we have the least bit of snow late in the winter the salt on the roads lingers into rideable weather.  It just sucks.

At least we have a lot of great roads in the area once spring arrives.  This and the fact that the cost of living here is very reasonable and central Kentucky is really beautiful. 

• Thumbsup 4

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

2 hours ago, johnmark101 said:

I absolutely despise winter here in central Kentucky for a number of reasons, one is which not being able to ride.  Wanted to move south after retirement but have too much family in this area to leave. 

At the slightest sign of snow or ice they dump huge amounts of salt on the roads here.  If we have the least bit of snow late in the winter the salt on the roads lingers into rideable weather.  It just sucks.

At least we have a lot of great roads in the area once spring arrives.  This and the fact that the cost of living here is very reasonable and central Kentucky is really beautiful. 

I agree!

That's why I normally buy a "project" bike for the winter months. This year it's a 1982 Suzuki GS1100E! For me, turning wrenches on a classic bike is better than sitting and staring out the window at snow or salt covered roads.

Plus, I get a new addition to the stable, if I keep it!

82 GS1100E pic.jpg

• Thumbsup 3

2020 Tracer 900GT /1978 Suzuki GS750E /1978 Suzuki GS1000 /1982 Suzuki GS1100E /1999 Honda GL1500SE

• Premium Member

When I had the time, cash and space I'd buy good specimens to fix or restore and sell them to repeat the process more upscale. 

I'd always keep one of the better riders that was a bit scraggly as a Rat Bike to ride in the winter.