Winter Blues

I put my bikes away once the first salt hits the road and don't think about them again until spring, spending my winters snowmobiling.

We had a top 4 snowiest Decembers ever and am currently enjoying an incredible snowmobile season.

snownobile.jpg

Edited by roadwarrior
  • Thumbsup 1
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/28/2022 at 9:38 AM, kilo3 said:

@roadwarrior is that railroad tunnel/track under ely peak a snowmobile trail as well in the winter?

That railroad tunnel would be below us and to the left of the picture. But yes the same general area.

We were on Barton's Peak on Skyline Blvd.

Edited by roadwarrior

No garage , she lives outside 365 sadly 😕 

Had the most snow here since 2009 apparently,  typical on my week off between Christmas and New Year ( plus I got sick ) so i couldnt even fit the new farkles i have stored away waiting for the free time to do so. PLUS either the DMV failed to send me my new registration tag that i ordered online or the USPS lost it !! 

Talk about kick a man when he's down 😁 

On the plus side , there is zero bike theft here in my little town in NV so I'm pretty chilled nowadays about leaving her outside like this , the security I have under that cover is mainly for my fear of someone trying to Nick it that i had all the years i had to leave my bikes outside when i lived in England 

20230103_080032.jpg

• Thumbsup 1
  • Sad 1

It was super cold here just before Christmas.  Two nights in a row at 9F with a high of 18 between them.  Lots of frozen pipes!  Took it a few days to warm up but its been nice since then.  As high as 70F.  When I bought my Tracer in Sioux Falls SD in early September 2020 they already had snowmobiles on the showroom floor.  Fun taking a look at them - they are as common as snow plows here - nonexistent!

• Thumbsup 2

Around here it is rare we get snow or ice but hate the chemicals they spray on the roads.  If that stuff is out I'll just leave my car in the garage and wait for better conditions.  If there is snow or ice I stay home as driving is crazy.

• Thumbsup 1

Went for a 130 mile Winter ride last week. Temps were in the 50's F and the roads were clean here in South Central PA.

I will ride as long as the temps are above freezing but the real issue for me is salt or anti-skid materials on the roads. When the roads are dirty the bike stays in the garage.

• Thumbsup 1

The last weekend in November, I drove to Bend, Oregon to buy a 2021 Yamaha MT10 to replace my troublesome BMW. Towed it home right before the heavy-duty, non-stop recurring Pacific Northwest winters storms started to  hammer us and hammer us.

So now I have this blazing hot rod with barely 1500 miles on it in the garage, can't even test ride the damn thing to see what I have purchased. 🙄  Winter sucks moist ass, that's all there is to it.  😖

No_MT10_today.thumb.jpg.96ecd01c633b81423506920588eeb8ce.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

California seems to be the best place for avid motorcyclists with the combination of mountain roads and rideable conditions all year long.  The downside is the outrageous cost of real estate and awful political climate.  Most of the best roads are found in mountainous areas, but that usually means winter weather cold enough to keep all but the hardiest of riders waiting for spring to arrive.

Besides California, the few states that have decent riding weather all year round do not appear to have much in the way of great motorcycle roads.  For many, myself included, winter is a miserable time of year.

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.